Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Rumors that current Powerbooks are End-of-Lifed (EOL'd) have been circulating... hinting at new Powerbooks in the pipe...

CubeZone posts about an Ad that hints of new laptops:

We also have spotted an ad in a French Mac magazine about new Apple products. There is the new Quicksilver and the new iMacs introduced at MWNY, the iBook...and two PowerBooks. The low-end one is a 500 Mhz one and the high-end is a 600 Mhz. We do not think that it is a typo.

[Edited by Macrumors on 10-09-2001 at 03:06 PM]

L

lucs

cdrw/dvd

i think the big question left is whether the new Ti G4s are going to have the so awaited slot loading CDRW/DVD drive.
anyone has any updates on that?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: cdrw/dvd

Originally posted by lucs
i think the big question left is whether the new Ti G4s are going to have the so awaited slot loading CDRW/DVD drive.
anyone has any updates on that?

No, but I hope it's just an option. I sure as hell don't want to pay for that.

What I do hope is standard is the new ATI RADEON mobile chipset. That or a GeForce2Go chipset. If neither of those is in there, I swear I'm jumping ship to go buy a Dell.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Traitors.

:D

GeForce 2 Go sucks down to much power. So does the Radeon. Maybe a 16 meg Rage. I'm not worried about 3D graphics in my laptop. As long as it can handle OS X and Emulation :D

Harder gaming is for my Desktop ;)

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
Um, he means the radeon mobility...

The radeon mobility doesn't suck all that much power out. If it was a normal radeon, then yes. In fact the new mobility radeons offer GF3 performance while maintaining a low power profile.

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
it would be nice to see a chip on a mac that isnt 1.2 ghz behind its competitors :mad:

and judging by macosrumors today, its going to be mid to late next year before apples hardware saviour arrives...hmmpf!!

M

Mr. Sparkle

Broken Link

The URL in the story on the home page isn't parsing.

In other words, "CubeZone" isn't hot linked....

Looking at the post in this board, it looks like the "a href" part starts with a LT sign "<", but ends with a close-bracket "]".

--
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiister Spaaark-le!

jeffrs

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2001
new nVidia card?

Well nVidia is fanatical about releasing new cards every 6 months or so... I wish more companies released products as often... and the GeForce2Go is reaching that point so it could be possible we will see a new 2go card, maybe a Titanium2Go? Plus it isn't unprecedented to see them release new hardware on the Mac first, ie GeForce3. Of course this is all mostly wishful thinking on my part =)

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
Re: Re: cdrw/dvd

Originally posted by john123
Originally posted by lucs
What I do hope is standard is the new ATI RADEON mobile chipset. That or a GeForce2Go chipset. If neither of those is in there, I swear I'm jumping ship to go buy a Dell.

Blasphomy! :)

a_graphic_artist

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2001
New features in G4 Ti

Along with seeing a more powerful 3D video chipset in the new Ti...

What would be even more interesting to see is a 'removable' LCD screen and optional stand to utilize it like a "desktop computer LCD" for those who would like to use their laptop as a desktop replacement, but still retain the ability to become mobile at a seconds notice.

Along with TWO or Three FireWire ports (if need be sacrifice one of the USB ports for the addtional FireWire)

How about some kind of coating that can better protect the Titanium's surface? That would be nice. Seem the finger prints and sodas splatters causes the metal to tarnish.

Lastly, it would be cool to be able to add TWO harddrives into the laptop - One to hold the OS and applications, the other for Video media or whatever else that I can think of while on the road...

Let's all pray and hope... :)

Traveler

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2001
DC
Call me a pessimist but...

Having read what MOSR has to say about Apple's processor woes I'm starting my preparations for a big dissapointment. I'm not sure what exactly to expect from the predicted Oct/Nov Ti update. Sure, a few structural and "peripheral" improvements but when it comes down to the issue of speed and power... It doesn't sound to me like any of the available options are any good and if current timetable predictions are accurate it will be at least 6 months before anything actually "interesting" happens with the g4 portable. It looks like our only hope is an out-of-the-blue type change in chip production schedules and sadly, in this modern day of rapant and unrestricted information exchange, suprises don't really exist.

Here's to hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

packrat

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2001
Australia
Apple confirms EOL by actions.

I've a need for doing digital photography work on a portable computer urgently, and since the new powerbooks with better 3d graphics and so forth wouldn't help much, I tried to go ahead and order one of the old/existing ones.

Now, after a week and a half, my order has been quietly bounced by Apple who are refusing to get any more stock of the TiBook into this country -- I've been told that I'll be waiting until the new model is announced and my order will get finalised then.

I'd say this is probably as good a sign as we're going to get that things will be happening Real Soon Now. Or possibly that Apple are cutting back on administrative costs by refusing to accept any new orders.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Two firewire ports?

To the_graphic_artist who would rather have two (or three!) firewire ports even at the expense of a USB, consider this...
Almost ALL firewire devices have two ports so you can daisy chain them together. Almost NONE of the USB devices have more than one.
Is your mouse firewire? no.
Is your printer firewire? no.
Is your digital still camera? no.
The only firewire device that I can think of that only has one port is my DV camera, and that works just fine chained through the external firewire drive.

Really want something useful on the new tiBook? How about a faster processor, 400mbit Firewire (one will do thank you), bigger harddrive, FASTER hardrive, or lower price?
In my opinion, I don't see what the brouhaha is over display cards, given the option I'd rather see money spent on better audio, more RAM or HD space.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Two firewire ports?

Originally posted by SPG

In my opinion, I don't see what the brouhaha is over display cards, given the option I'd rather see money spent on better audio, more RAM or HD space.

The "bruhaha" has to do with two things:
1) if you want to use a second monitor and not directly mirror, then you need more than 8 MB of VRAM for high resolution and 32 bit color
2) if the PowerBook is your only computer, the current video card is inadequate for fps-intensive games. While some people have the luxury of having a desktop AND a laptop, not everyone does. And besides, it's really easy to add the new ATI card in anyway -- why keep old technology? That's just patently stupid.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
From Thinksecret.com

http://www.thinksecret.com/features/newportables.html

New PowerBooks and iBooks in Pipeline, Resellers Say
By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

In recent months, many Mac users have awaited updates to Apple's PowerBook and iBook lines.

Early this Fall, deals and price-cuts on the current PowerBook G4 paved the way for new models. Last month, we reported that Apple's original intentions were to roll out the new machines at Apple Vice President Phil Schiller's Seybold keynote in San Francisco. Delays hindered the release, however -- possibly due to sketchy shipping from Taiwan.

The long wait may be coming to an end. R etail sources say that new PowerBooks and iBooks are on the way, and soon. Apple is taking early orders from some resellers, as it has done in the past. A reseller who receives an early order form typically receives only the new model numbers and prices, a week or two in advance. While sometimes not all model numbers are listed, the reseller usually receives the units quicker after the official announcement.

According to the early order information, there will be three new iBooks (fast, faster, and fastest), and two new PowerBooks (fast, faster). Pricing will be similar to current portable pricing.

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
Re: Re: Two firewire ports?

1) if you want to use a second monitor and not directly mirror, then you need more than 8 MB of VRAM for high resolution and 32 bit color
2) if the PowerBook is your only computer, the current video card is inadequate for fps-intensive games. While some people have the luxury of having a desktop AND a laptop, not everyone does. And besides, it's really easy to add the new ATI card in anyway -- why keep old technology? That's just patently stupid.

I have a PowerBook G3 (2000 - with Firewire). How much VRAM do I have? 8Megs? I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. I have Fly! and want to set my resolution properly.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Two firewire ports?

Originally posted by GadgetLover

I have a PowerBook G3 (2000 - with Firewire). How much VRAM do I have? 8Megs? I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. I have Fly! and want to set my resolution properly.

You have 8. An ATI 128 Mobility chip.

Traveler

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2001
DC
Please be true...

http://www.thinksecret.com/features/newportables.html

New PowerBooks and iBooks in Pipeline, Resellers Say
By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

This is the kind of exciting rumor that we all live for. And with a tentative action date of about one week it's a bolder claim than most other sites have been making. I'm not sure whether to trust it but the anticipation is already killing me.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
faster is better

the end of line thing has been a good indication in the recent past for apple products

let's see at least 600 MHz G4 in the new titanium

256 MB min of RAM would be cool, too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.