New PowerMac G4's at MWNY

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 8, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    RailheadDesign posts specs and details about upcoming PowerMac G4's at MacWorld Expo 2002:

- Quicksilver is dead.
    - 1GHz, 1.2GHz (dual), and 1.4GHz (dual)
    - more internal bays
    - GeForce 4 MX, GeForce4 Titanium
    - 60GB, 80GB, 2x80GB
    - same price structure

This approximates older Macworld NY 2002 PowerMac rumors.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Quicksilver is dead? I hope that means a more burshed metal theme, but not like the recent xserve/quicksilver mockup posted. Not that it's a bad mockup, but then the tower would be just like a cheezy standard wintel tower design.

4. macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    #4 reports conflict?

These specs are the ones I'm hoping for... but some people say it's still too optomistic... posted the same specs — only to then quickly update them saying that 1.33Ghz or 1.22Ghz (I believe) is probably what will happen (according to some sources).

who knows though... :)
  5. macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Well, having known Maury for the last three years, I can tell you that he won't post specs unless he is pretty sure that they are right. These are right what I have been saying since February, except I heard 120GB in the top of the line instead of two 80's. Also, 2 gigs of DDR instead of 1.5 GB. Other than that it looks dead on. New case! Hell yea~!
  6. SPG
    macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    C'mon! I want some real wild wild speculation! 5ghz G5s for everyone!
  7. job
    macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    The specs sound about right.

Looks like I will be buying the baseline 1Ghz come July 17th. :D I just hope it has DDR-RAM too.
  8. macrumors 6502

May 13, 2002
    DIE EL CAPITAN!!! =D hehe...

Railhead's usually been pretty spot on, so I 'trust' them more than MOSR. Lately MOSR has been my place for reading stuff then arguing with people about - pure filler speculative crap. Can't WAIT to see a new enclosure!
  9. macrumors member

May 14, 2002
    Not great, but not horrible.

But I do wish that PowerMac iterations came every 4-5 months instead of every 6-7 months.

10. macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    200GB WD Hard Dive in July

I like the Dual 1.2 GHz. But 2x 80GB hard drives when you can get 120GB drives now for $150. And with ATA/133, you can get 160GB 5.400 RPM Maxtor, soon 200GB 7,200 RPM Western Digital drives. ATA/66 (can you believe Apple still uses that?) can't see anything over like 128-137GB. Neither can the ATA/100 in the xServe. At least, not without special software or some kind of firmware upgrade. It's not about the real world performance, it's about limits.

How about a Radeon 8500 (with TV-Out) as an upgrade option? Or the Radeon 7000 PCI (with TV-Out) as an add-on? Or sound in? 2 CD drives would be cool, too.

And DDR-Ram (333 MHz with a DDR 166 MHz system bus would be nice, but I'm trying to think realistic). There's enough of an increase in performance to be noticed.

I know, I'm asking for too much. It's almost like I'm asking them to build a computer with realistic, modern day specs everyone else seems to want and are willing to spend thousands of $$$ on. ;)

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
  12. macrumors 6502

Apr 13, 2001
    this new enclosure isn't going to be white is it? yuk. personally i don't mind quicksilver, i wonder what apple has up their sleeves.

anything metallic would be nice - dark grey brushed alumnim with a hint of blue?
  13. macrumors member

Apr 8, 2002

I really hope (assuming there is a new case) that it's quieter.. I work at home, and my dual 1 GHz is so loud compared to my PowerBook g3, it's refreshing to put the dual to sleep at the end of the day..

It's loud enough to temp me enough to change all my development work to a PowerBook G4..

(Although my home office is very quiet :)
  14. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Here is why I worry about two PowerMacs with dual processors. How expensive would the top of the line 1.4GHz dual be anyways? Can Apple afford to push their Macs so high in price? (I'm not so sure what it would be, but the most I would expect is $3494 for the high end.) And what about dual 1.2GHz to 1.4GHz? If dual 1000MHz chips brought the price of the PowerMac to $3000, wouldn't a dual 1.2GHz with DDR-RAM cost around that much? (Guessing...) And what would make the 1.4GHz stand out, other than speed, while keeping the price low?

I have a feeling that the prices of PowerMacs are going to be jacked up a bit this expo. Again, I expect a high of $3494, but anything more (ex. $3794 for the new Powerbooks) probably pushes it a bit too far.
  15. macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    I was really hoping to see something above 1.4 Ghz. :eek: I wanted to be blown away and shocked enough to have permagrin :D for a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever they come out with. Now I'm hoping the rumors are wrong.

If this is true, I'll be flat out irritated. They need to stay at $3000 or less for the top end. That is unless they come out with something that's tits.
  16. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >...they come out with something that's tits.
    Do you think anyone would be offended by such a PowerMac design? :D

Hey, SPG, not a bad avatar. How badly did you want one anyways? :cool:
  17. macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Not at all! While they're at it they can offer some new Input/Output sources and incorporate a Nike pump feautre. Call it iTits.
  18. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    pgwalsh, I'm not even going to ask what you mean by the pump feature... :eek: but I am assuming that if you are calling this PowerMac the iTits and nothing but the iT!ts, with input and output features and some pump jack, you must have one :eek:ed up imagination! :D

Keep dreaming... :cool:
  19. macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    oh yes! MYSF we can talk about iYoDaddy
  20. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Ok, I think i'm missing something. When's the last time we jumped 400mhz in 6 months? Because I don't remember that ever happening I'd have to say this jump kicks ass if true.
  21. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Read the article. It says same price points as currently available, would've eased your mind if you would've clicked the link.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Minot, North Dakota
    Don't think in terms of a megahertz jump. If we had jumped up 400MHz back in the days of 66MHz processing, it would have been freakishly amazing.

Rather, think in terms of percentage. A 400MHz boost equates to a 40% jump, which wouldn't be the largest in Apple history.
  23. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2002
    Lets just hope that we actually get 40%, not less then that because of rumored pipeline lengthening in the new G4++ chips these most likely will be using.
  24. macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Most likely...

...the clock frequency increase comes from a transition to .13 micron manufacturing. AFAIK an extended pipeline pretty much requires a complete redesign. The jump from G4 to G4+ was as large as the jump from Pentium Pro to Pentium III in my opinion (except for the clock frequency. I'm just talking about design). Also, if they improve branch prediction and cache/memory along with increasing the pipeline length, it's NOT a bad thing. It's basically a free way to boost the clock frequency, IF and ONLY IF the rest of the setup is sophisticated enough to keep the extra stages fed with data.
    Why the **** are people whining about these specs??? These specs (assuming DDR) kick ass. DP 1400MHz with a GF4Ti and DDR is going to be FAST. However, if they don't have DDR, I'll be pissed. That's all I really cared about for this update (speed related, anyway. Some new ports [FW2/USB2] would be nice). Also, I kinda doubt that 2x80GB hard drive. I'd expect 1x120GB or 100GB. I suppose it might be that they're trying to take advantage of the 4 ATA100 controllers on the uni-north by adding in more drives. That would fit with the more optical drives part too. If so, then we might have 2 optical drives and two hard drives, all on separate controllers... mmmm.... 400MB/sec max bandwidth..... mmmmmm.....
  25. macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    Well if they increase the sustem bus and add DDR Ram, on top of the 40% boost in mhz, it should add up to a pretty impressive improvement in performance.

I'm assuming, of course, that DDR Ram is a done deal. It's not mentioned in the Railhead report but it's gotta be in there, right?

I don't know about a all-white case. Maybe a mixed palette: white, grey, brushed metal, etc.