New powermac G5, anybody know when?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fourthtunz, Mar 12, 2005.

1. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

I've been waiting for a G5 2gig,I love macs but won't pay $3000 for a new one, which is what it would be after ram.
    They haven't had any at apple's specials page, so should we expect new ones soon?
    Anybody got the scoop on this? :rolleyes:
    daniel

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The G5 Power Mac is definitely due for an update. Any prediction date offered is just someone's opinion. I think that we will see a new one in March or April, that if its not all that significant of an update. If a more major update is on its way, then I think that Steve would probably announce at WWDC in June.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The next refresh you'll definitely see the dual 2.0 Ghz machine become the low-end machine. It's taken nearly 2 years, but it's here. Now here's hoping they go with 8 RAM slots instead of the 4. But knowing Apple, they'll probably just speed bump the current dual 1.8Ghz.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

well, apple has got to give you a reason to buy the middle or top of the line... so I have no problem with them only offering 4 slots on the low end of the road.

5. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

That's what I'm hoping, that the 2 gig becomes the low end and goes down in price :D
    The 2 gig is the minimum for Protools tdm as far as the G5's go, so I'm gonna wait,peace
    daniel

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you were to search the forums you would see that there are *several* threads on this topic already...we honestly do not need yet another one....oh yeah!

7. thecow macrumors 6502

I think the people that will notice the difference between 4 GB of RAM and 8 GB of RAM aren't going to be buying the low end PowerMacs.

8. Bear macrumors G3

True in about 99.99+% of the cases. So for that less than .01% where the proc speed isn't an issue, but they need the memory, well those people will just have to buy the next model up. I don't think there is enough of them that Apple is worried about it.

And as to the original posters question, like I have said in the other threads (as well as have other people) - the machine will be released somewhere between now and WWDC. There's a strong chance it will be announced with or just after Tiger's release date is announced.

9. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Duff muffin, I know you are right, guess I was feelin' lonely.
    My head has been on a woman and off Macs for the last year.
    I posted, well, cause.. bo dow do dow downt..
    my baaby left me.. whoops wrong forum, soorry :eek:
    daniel