New Powermac G5: Beeping noise?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OziMac, May 11, 2005.

1. OziMac macrumors 6502

Hi all

I'm aware that previous generations of Powermac G5s had problems with a beeping noise coming from the computer during operation. From what I've read on these forums and elsewhere, these were apparently resolved in Rev B.

However, my new Rev C Powermac G5 DP2.0GHz seems to make a similar, very quiet beeping noise during its operation. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem (with current or older Powermac G5s) or if there's some way to resolve it easily.

Cheers :)

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Maybe it beeps for everytime it owns an x86 box. ;)

3. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

It certainly does do that :D - it's been a complete pleasure to use, though I think I'm going to have to do a clean reinstall of Tiger on the old hard drive I swapped into it, as it's started lagging fractionally there...

But this beeping is quite troubling. Thinking about calling Apple support, but I'm afraid that as before I'll be talking to a drone in a call centre in Bangalore who can offer no useful advice, and have to end up taking a day off work to take it to a service centre... so any thoughts here would be more than welcome! :)

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
  5. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link wrc, but that's not exactly the problem I have. As I said, mine is a repetitive beep (not a whine or click corresponding to changes in graphics), heard at intervals of about 1s. And as I mentioned, from the research that I have already done on the problem, it appears to have been around in the Rev A Powermacs but was apparently 'solved' with the Rev Bs... just trying to see if anyone knows how that was done, and if anyone else with Rev Cs has the same issue...

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I hadn't heard about it here on the forums, but what you're describing sounds like something my Rev. B Dual 1.8 does. I assumed it was just a squeaky fan.

7. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Well, I would still try disabiling NAP mode to see if it goes away. It couldn't hurt to try.

8. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers, I'll definitely give it a try - just a little disconcerting that someone's brought up the fact that Apple are against NAP being turned off... :confused:

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My Rev A Power Mac makes the same noise you describe (faint but audible, about every second or so) when the Processor Performance option is set to 'Highest' under System Preferences/Energy Saver/Options. Put the setting onto Automatic and there's no beep. Not an ideal solution I know but something for you to try maybe...

10. Cold_Steel macrumors member

wtf thats a bit crazy, so you gotts suffer performance just to get rid of that squeak?

You could alwyas line the case top and side panels with some of that sound dampening and see if that works? Thats just an idea of mine...real cheap and real easy.

Matt

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Exactly – like I say, it's not a good solution.

Personally, the beep is barely audible and I'm normally playing music which drowns it out anyway so it doesn't bother me at all. I know though that it's the sort of thing that some people will find very irritating – and with good reason.

12. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I totally agree with you Jaffa - it is a fairly minor thing, but I guess it also boils down to a matter of principle - can you be bothered going through the motions to make sure you got value for what you've paid for.

I gave the call centre in India a call today and they gave me the 'useful' advice of taking the Powermac into a service centre. I couldn't have thought of that one.

I've not tried CHUD yet, but the problem persists so far with 'Automatic' performance. Will try a few more different things before reporting back here - cheers for all of your thoughts :)

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I now have a new old dual 2.0 that I have been using for 2 weeks and it has what I would call a 'chirping' sound it is repetitive and occurs every couple seconds. It gets worse if I am in iMovie and preview the titles - the tower is on the desk next to my ear so it is quite annoying. I searched the forums on many sites ant this seems to be an issue witht he power supply. I did a small experiment to see - changed the CPU performance to highest and the sound gets louder - to reduced and gets lower, but can still hear it.
    I contacted the local authorized service and mentioned the issue - response:

"We actually haven't seen any PowerMacs with that issue, but a power
    supply is the most likely culprit. The first thing you should try is
    disconnecting all peripherals from the computer, leaving just the
    monitor, keyboard and mouse, and try to reproduce the problem.

Let me know if the chirping noise is still there, or has disappeared
    and we'll move on to step 2."

I let him know that I only had monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in and then:
    "You can contact Apple directly if you like about the issue, or we can
    replace the power supply. Please note though that the replacement power
    supply will reduce the noise, but most likely not eliminate it. Apple
    will generally offer to set up a mail in repair for portable computers,
    but desktop units have to be brought into an authorized service
    provider."

I keenly noted the first response referred to not knowing anyhthing about an issue and the second noting to me that the replacement may reduce but not eliminate it.

I will probably try the replacement PSU out, but got to thinking maybe it has something to do with my surge protector or something along those lines - so I will try that tonight.

Outside of that it has been a great pleasure to work with - I am worried that making a change will begin an issue that goes on and on.

Let me know if anyone has had success with getting this fixed - it is real annoying.

Here is a link on it:
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@181.uE91avmbSNX.7@.68ae5cbb

14. mackaveli macrumors regular

i h ave a similar problem as well.

I just got my brand new powermac dual 2.3 today it only took 4 business days when its suppose to be 8-12 so im happy.

I've only noticed this sound cause i was copying files from my powerbook to my powermac and everytime it finished copying it would make this chirp noise.

Is that normal or not cause this is my first powermac ever so i have no idea.

Thanks.

15. withinavoid macrumors newbie

Setting processor back to Automatic stopped that 1sec beep sound for me as well. Thanks for that. Sucks tho to lose some performance but that beep was making me crazy when I didn't have music playing. Strange thing is I did not have that beep on Highest in Panther, only now that I freshly installed Tiger. But, I did used to get the weird graphics sounds in Panther and I no longer get them in Tiger. Trade one thing for another I guess. :(

16. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Hi have the same problem with my PM Dual 1.8 (rev B). I posted on the Apple forums about this problem as well (lots of people are having the problem). It apparently was fixed with 10.3.5 for many people.... However the problem is back with Tiger 10.4.0.

Even if your system is set to automatic, the chirping is still happening (just much quieter. Sorry. My hope is that 10.4.1 will fix the problem, or that it is addressed in the future.

The only fix that I've seen is to disable NAP (not recommended due to heat issues).

17. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Based on what you are saying then it is related to software. It would seem to be more of a firmware issue or something. If that is the case maybe waiting for a SW patch is better than getting a new PSU. Has anyone done the PSU swap for this? If so did it fix it?

18. fishcalmer macrumors member

fishcalmer

my TI G4 Powerbook DVI800 is doing exactly the same thing - a quiet beep/chirp around about every second - only started happening since Tiger upgrade :confused:
    It's bizarre i'm getting quite used to it - but scarily it sounds a bit like a heart monitor, i think it could be why i have been feeling a bit on edge lately:(
    [edit] i've just finished typing and its just stopped.... [/edit]

19. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow - I can't believe I'm not the only one with this problem - and even less that its also happening with portables upgraded to Tiger! This has only cofnused me more! :)

I got the same answer from Apple Support - about 'disconnecting all peripherals' (like you, I only have the DKM attached).

Will keep messing around - if anyone else has more success let me know :)

20. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

The chirping sound is on my Rev A Dual 2Ghz G5. Its the PSU... the Apple forums had a huge huge huge thread about it, but apple never came up with a solution for it... and its sad that we are on Rev C and the problem persists... The chirping is one heck of an annoying sound! You even get it through headphones that are plugged to the G5...

About instally CHUD and disabling NAP... I've heard that this disables CPU lifespan... can't confirm it, but I dont want to take a chance...

21. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Well I tried the switching power outlets and it is a different sound when in the wall - more of a heartbeat versus the surge protector EKG chirping. I may have the PSU replaced - just to see - if they fixed the issue in Rev B/C then just adding that PSU would be the fix - if it is however somehow related to the software that may explain B and C seeming better due to the timing of the software build nd hardware availability. I may re-install and go back to 10.3.n to see if tiger is the culprit...

22. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

My dual 2 GHz powermac has the same problem. I have found that if I go into system preferences and then into energy saver and change the performance settings of the computer to "automatic" or "reduced" from the highest setting, the noise dims quite a bit. Also, I've found when the computer is set to "highest" performance, it makes the chirping noise quite loud and obvious when the computer is just idling...but if I start doing an operation such as making/burning a dvd, which uses a lot of processing power, the noise vanishes!

23. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

My dual 2.3 doesn't chirp... I hope it doesn't start. This is the first I've even heard of this problem! I wonder why so many people's do make the beep sound, and mine doesn't.

Weird.

EDIT: My processor is set to 'Automatic' performance. Maybe the chirp is there and I'm just deaf.

24. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Is anyone not having these problems with the PM? Because I dont think I am getting these noises. I sometimes hear the processor crank stuff out at times but to me thats normal and I dont think thats the sound everyone else is describing, right?

I seem to have a real low buzzing noise in mine and I have no idea what it is. I do not think it was there when I first fired up the PM last saturday but has been there the past 5 days. When the PM goes to sleep its gone. I am thinking about calling Apple to see what it is but before that I am going to open the PM up and reseat the fan since that is the only thing I have touched to install the RAM, since I dont think it was doing this when I first got it with Panther. I then installed Tiger shortly after booting up in Panther.