New PowerMac (Mac Pro) and MacBook Pro Enclosures

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ThinkSecret reports that when the PowerMac G5 gets its replacement at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), it will sport a new enclosure.

The new case is said to be "substantially different" to signify the transition to the Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe). The internal configurations are said to be comparable to current PowerMacs:

ThinkSecret also expects that the MacBook Pro will also sport a new enclosure once it adopts the Core 2 Duo processor (Merom).

Apple recently trademarked Mac Pro which is expected to be the new name for the PowerMac line.

2. macrumors 68040

emotion

Black anodized alloy enclosures. Come on Apple you know you want to :)

Hmm come to think of it imagine the complaints about scratches...

3. macrumors regular

Mr. DG

Does quad therefore imply woodcrest rather than conroe?

4. macrumors P6

Peace

5. macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I would imagine so, we already know that the Conroe won't support dual processor configurations.

6. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Hopefully the Mac Pro will be a bit smaller than the current G5 PowerMac.

7. macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

8. macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

not a first i guess

but as i logged in, i realized this will never be a first post for me. i am glad of new enclosures though i love the g5 powermac. as for macbook pro, i cannot wait. the new macbook itself is the reason i still believe in design magik and if macbook pro can be improved upon, i will cheer very loudly

9. macrumors member

kskill

this news isn't so shocking... but i'm pretty excited to see what the designs will actually be.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

Exactly!

Keep in mind Intel and Apple have been working on the guts of the MacPro for some time and it will be unique:)

11. macrumors G4

Chundles

Can't do it, Conroe only supports one chip. If we want a Quad we need Woodcrest.

12. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Can't wait to see a new enclosure, the G5 case was just way too big!

13. macrumors 65816

luminosity

Messing with the MBP enclosure design is a bad move.

14. macrumors 6502

In terms of the MacBook Pro, I'd like to see how they can improve upon perfection. I'm a little nervous as to how it will look... but I guess each successive PowerBook revision looked snazzier than the one before it.

15. macrumors member

MrPineapples

I'll be glad if this is true, all the new intel mac's (apart from the macbook) have disapointed me by having almost the same enclosures as the models they replaced. My next mac was going to be a powermac but i've held out for an intel update i'm sure it'll be a beast.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

The Conroe "chip" is a dual-core

The new "logic board" will accept two chips..
    Watch

Think outside the box Chundles!! Think outside the box..

17. macrumors G4

Chundles

That's what we have at the moment, the PowerMac Quad is two 2.5GHz dual-core processors.

For four cores in a MacPro you need the SMP capabilities of the Woodcrest chip, Conroe can't support multi-chip configurations - it would be OK for iMacs and low range MacPros but for a Quad replacement you need Woodcrest.

18. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

Think reality...you cannot run dual Conroes !

Conroe cannot run in dual chip configurations.

A Woodcrest is basically the same chip as the Conroe, but does allow dual-chip motherboards.

19. macrumors 6502

I know cars are in a completely different boat than computers, but I think Apple should stick to its beautiful designs and only make minor changes to the models' formfactors like Porsche would do. If you've got a great thing, why completely obliterate it?

20. macrumors G4

Chundles

I know it's a dual-core, but Conroe doesn't have the ability to work in multi-processor arrangements, only Woodcrest can do that.

21. macrumors G4

Chundles

et voila!

22. macrumors G4

Mord

conroe cannot be run SMP, seriously, can this finally be accepted as common knowledge conroe ? SMP SMP is required to run more than one physical chip and conroe is one chip with two cores woodcrest is one chip with two cores that have the capability to be run in tandem with annother woodcrest giveing four cores.

woodcrest is what is going in the mac pro, their may be a single dual conroe offering at the low end as a consumer tower but woodcrest is cheaper at the high end (the 3GHz woodcrest is cheaper than the 2.92GHz extreme edition core2duo)

conroe and woodcrest use the exact same cores just conroe has SMP disabled.

23. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Remember TS were the ones who said the MacBook would come with a Core Solo... Also dual-Conroes aren't possible.

24. macrumors P6

Peace

Unless Intel/Apple designed a completely different MB:)

25. Editor emeritus

longofest

Correct. I think ThinkSecret has their wires crossed on this one.

Possibility has been mentioned/speculated in the forums, and isn't totally off the wall, that Apple could use Conroe for its single-CPU configs, and a Woodcrest CPU for its Quad config. While it would complicate the line technically because a different chipset would have to be used for the Woodcrest board, it would keep the cost of the single-cpu machines down (at least manufacturing costs. We as consumers may not see that benefit).