Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWhispers claims that new PowerMac motherboards are complete, and are under contractor bidding now:

What we have been told is that a set of CAD files detailing what "appears to be a final design for a pair of completely new motherboards" was given to at least two contractors this week for review and production price bidding.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Our source states that these designs "are obviously for new PowerMacs," and that "the architecture of the boards looks to be totally different" from existing models. We were told that this price bidding activity typically indicates a finalized product being readied for production, and that this point in the process usually precedes actual production by 3 to 4 months.

That puts it in June - then come MWNY in July.....oh, oh, oh, please be a 970!

Which makes sense if they're saying the mobo designs are totally different from what's out there now. But I'm curious as to why there are two different ones??!!??

D

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Woohoo!!

I hope these new boards have USB 2.0 support, faster bus and the 970 on them. :D

I just hope they won't be delayed like the 17" PowerBooks. If so, we won't see actually see them until the next millennium (J/K).

CheekyGit :rolleyes:

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Re: Woohoo!!

Originally posted by CheekyGit
I hope these new boards have USB 2.0 support, faster bus and the 970 on them. :D

Why do you want usb 2.0 so much? it will most definatly have fw 800 wich is much faster

aethier

also anything usb usualy also supports fw 400 wich is prety much the same speed as 2.0

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have to say the USB 2.0 would just be more of an afterthought to appease any would be switchers. FW800 will be much better, but there are still few devices out there that actually use it.

Its all a matter of time - I'm less worried about what will connect to it and more about what's under the hood.

If they can produce a dual core 1.8 the first time out that will be awesome!

To dream.......but I'll most likely buy one, whether its the first series or the first speedbump/upgrade remains to be seen.

D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
On the shelf in September 970's? Yeah baby Yeah! Now do i want my machine is sept or wait and make it a christmas present to myself? another point is why 2 motherboards? powermac and? or single and dual powermacs?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Re: Re: Woohoo!!

Originally posted by aethier
Why do you want usb 2.0 so much? it will most definatly have fw 800 wich is much faster

aethier

also anything usb usualy also supports fw 400 wich is prety much the same speed as 2.0

Consumer digital cameras are going USB2 (eg all new Sonys) and I'd like to use them at the increased speed. I doubt there will be FW800 consumer digicams. Cheap USB2 scanners don't have firewire either. USB2 Flash memory disks don't have firewire!

Mac users know all about FW speeds so sticking with USB1.1 just sucks.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
another point is why 2 motherboards? powermac and? or single and dual powermacs?

dual core, dual CPU mobos, means quad processors - I'm dreaming if I think that will happen, but what a dream! :D

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Woohoo! Great news!

The one thing that kept bugging me when the 970 discussions were going on, was the point about "But Apple just designed a new motherboard! They surely wouldn't throw that away after just a few months, would they?"

Not just for USB 2.0. Not just for a 7457. But for a whole new 64-bit architecture that will revolutionize the computing world? For the greatest Macs -- for that matter, the greatest personal computers -- of all time? Yes, they would. Bring it on! Yee-hah!:D

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by dukestreet
Our source states that these designs "are obviously for new PowerMacs," and that "the architecture of the boards looks to be totally different" from existing models. We were told that this price bidding activity typically indicates a finalized product being readied for production, and that this point in the process usually precedes actual production by 3 to 4 months.

Which makes sense if they're saying the mobo designs are totally different from what's out there now. But I'm curious as to why there are two different ones??!!??

D
Xserve and PowerMac.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
dual core, dual CPU mobos, means quad processors - I'm dreaming if I think that will happen, but what a dream! :D

D
No, the 970 is NOT a dual core chip.

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino

Not to throw water in your alcohol, but I question the phrasing of the article. If the motherboards go into production in June/July, what's the delay between that time and the time they're shipped to the factory for assembly, and then when they're introduced/shipping.

theFly

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
MWNY Announcement

So the puzzle pieces seem to be pointing to a 970 based Mac in the July timeframe. MWNY, no doubt. Given that everything seems to be ahead of schedule, I would expect them to ship in July, not in Sept. or so.

Now, on to the real question... instead of the obvious above. What 2 machines are the motherboards for? I'm assuming that little, if anything, would need to be done to plop a 1 or 2 processor 970 on a motherboard... so that leaves me to speculate:

-- PowerMac G5 with 1 or 2 proc.
-- xServe revision 3 with 1 or 2 proc.
-- no portables, no iMac/eMac
-- Portables and iMac/eMac move to high speed G4's in the 1.5 to 1.6 range?
-- 970's probably at 1.8 and moving to 2.5 by Jan. 2004? (fingers crossed for 2.x in July)

Things are looking good. VERY good.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Originally posted by theFly
Not to throw water in your alcohol, but I question the phrasing of the article. If the motherboards go into production in June/July, what's the delay between that time and the time they're shipped to the factory for assembly, and then when they're introduced/shipping.

Good point. I think the article implied a 3 to 4 month production time from the point of the bid. That places it in the June/July timeframe for production. I'm assuming this means they are shipping boards to Apple for assembly at that time, since Apple will be stockpiling them for building the Macs. That would indicate a July announcement with ship dates in the July - Sept. range of variance. Would you agree?

I could see it going a couple of ways. We know that, no matter what they do, they will not ship or announce the 970s until stock of the existing units is low enough to put into clearance. I think it's reasonable to expect a MWNY annoucement, with a ship date about a month out (august). Then again, they could update the portables again in July with faster proc's and announce the 970's in August or Sept. if supply is too high on existing units.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Re: Woohoo! Great news!

Originally posted by cubist
The one thing that kept bugging me when the 970 discussions were going on, was the point about "But Apple just designed a new motherboard! They surely wouldn't throw that away after just a few months, would they?"

Not just for USB 2.0. Not just for a 7457. But for a whole new 64-bit architecture that will revolutionize the computing world? For the greatest Macs -- for that matter, the greatest personal computers -- of all time? Yes, they would. Bring it on! Yee-hah!:D

Yeah, I agree. After all, the DDR redesign was hardly a total change. It basically had a couple diff. controller-type chips and rearranged what was already there. This mobo design, both as we expect it and as this source has suggested, is TOTALLY different than the existing ones.

ethan

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2002
Reality First

I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over this news. If you actually think that Apple is going to have this new 970 chip and architecture all ready to go in a new computer design by summer or fall, you're fooling yourself. Even if they did, who in their right mind would buy one of these beta machines. Geesh. Apple is just now learning how to properly design fan cooling for their G4s. Remember the MDDs? What a mess this change over will be. And what about software manufacturers? Do you think they are going to run right out and work up 64 bit versions to take advantage of the capabilities of the new machines? Come on. They had to be dragged, kicking and screaming just to put out OSX versions. And several STILL don't have OSX versions out yet. In fact, you still can't get a decent utilities disk for OSX yet. Norton is brain dead and the other companies are just now starting to have OSX versions. And how long has OSX been out? Dream on but it's only a dream.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Reality First

Originally posted by ethan
I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over this news. If you actually think that Apple is going to have this new 970 chip and architecture all ready to go in a new computer design by summer or fall, you're fooling yourself. Even if they did, who in their right mind would buy one of these beta machines. Geesh. Apple is just now learning how to properly design fan cooling for their G4s. Remember the MDDs? What a mess this change over will be. And what about software manufacturers? Do you think they are going to run right out and work up 64 bit versions to take advantage of the capabilities of the new machines? Come on. They had to be dragged, kicking and screaming just to put out OSX versions. And several STILL don't have OSX versions out yet. In fact, you still can't get a decent utilities disk for OSX yet. Norton is brain dead and the other companies are just now starting to have OSX versions. And how long has OSX been out? Dream on but it's only a dream.

Wow, you're right. I never realized how stupid and incompetent Apple was. They would never be able to pull it off. They'll wait to the last minute and have Pepe put it all togther with duct tape and ecpect it to run properly.

Sarcasim aside, 64 bit it backwards compatible. That means no one has to updatwe their software at all for the 970 and we will still be happy. Only a FEW apps would even be re-written to 64 bit because only certain apps would even benefit from it.

TiWarrior

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
UK
Re: Re: Re: Reality First

If you haven't realized how stupid and incompetent Apple is by now, I suggest you change your panties, my dear, because, they are definitely, in a wad. Hmmm?

Does this guy have some sort of panty fetish...:D

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Reality First

And what about software manufacturers? Do you think they are going to run right out and work up 64 bit versions to take advantage of the capabilities of the new machines? Come on.

you dont know what your talking about. 32bit software wont need to be touched in order to run on the 970.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Reality First

If you haven't realized how stupid and incompetent Apple is by now, I suggest you change your panties, my dear, because, they are definitely, in a wad. Hmmm? And 64 bit backwards compatible was taken as a given in my comment. Wring out your wad, dearheart, because it is soaking wet.

how old are you? why would you come to a mac message board to bash them? why dont you step away from the computer and put your panties on.

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Re: Re: Reality First

Originally posted by Kid Red
Wow, you're right. I never realized how stupid and incompetent Apple was. They would never be able to pull it off. They'll wait to the last minute and have Pepe put it all togther with duct tape and ecpect it to run properly.

Don't knock duct tape. If it can help save me from a dirty bomb, then it should at least be able to build a G5. :D

theFly

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Regardless when it comes out, the official announcement will most likely be at an Expo. I probably won't be buying the first round of machines anyway, unless they are really spectacular and can offer me the speed I need.

As for the 2 mobos, XServe and PowerMac makes perfect sense - thanks for seeing that.

D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.