New PowerMac or G4 500Mhz Pismo upgrade?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iznAdiznam, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. iznAdiznam macrumors newbie

    iznAdiznam

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2001
    #1
    Hey everyone. I currently have a G3 400Mhz pismo, with 640MB RAM, and, well, its slow, and the display is not as bright as it used to be. It still functions fine (although the HD is loud and slow too).

    Here's the situation: I want a new mac that is very powerful and upgradeable, obviously the tower is the logical answer. Specifically, the 1.25 DP FW800. Unfortunately, I've been reading about many issues with the FW800 and MDD design, specifically it being very loud and whiny, and overheating. It seems to be a flawed architecture, yet I love it. Also, with all this talk of the 970, I'm wondering if I should just wait for powermac upgrades, and see if they fix the FW800 issues, or release the 970.

    So, should I go for the 1.25 DP FW800, or wait for the next generation towers, and spend $300 now on the Powerlogix G4 Bluechip pismo upgrade processor. As I said, my pismo still functions, and this way I would easily get another year out of my pismo, save money, and it would make sense to get the 970 when it comes out.

    Sorry so long, but does anyone have any advice? Any feedback would be great, as I am doing one or the other within the week (especially if new ipods come out).

    Thank you,
    Adam
     
  2. vniow macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    I accidentally my whole location.
    #2
    What about Powerlogix's 800Mhz G3 upgrade?

    Should be shipping soon.....
     
  3. iznAdiznam thread starter macrumors newbie

    iznAdiznam

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2001
    #3
    What about Powerlogix's 800Mhz G3 upgrade?

    Yeah, I saw that, and it was an option, but I would rather turn my pismo into a G4 500 then a G3 800, and with the G4 I'd get the altivec velocity engine technology...

    So, what do you think? Hold out and upgrade my pismo (G4 500 upgrade, better HD and another 512MB of RAM) and wait for revision to PowerMac line, maybe they will hammer out the bugs even more or release whole new tower, or should I get the 1.25 DP FW800?

    Adam
     
  4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    #4
    i was in the same position, i had a Pismo 400, and decided to go up to a Dual 867 MDD. I love the thing.... If i was in yor place, id get the 1.25, as the 500 upgrade seemingly doesnt add much, and the Pismo is crippled with a RAGE 128 8MB card... All i can say, is my 867, with a gig of RAM is rediculously fast... If you get the 1.25 im sure you wont regret it. the difference is staggering...
     

Share This Page