New PowerMac Product Photo

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by AlejandroGonzo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. AlejandroGonzo macrumors member

This was on spymac. Thought I would post it here since there are more users on these forums. It looks much better in this picture.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh I hope this isn't it! Nothing all that special, its shape isn't even all that different.

3. Funkatation macrumors regular

What is wrong with the current case? Sure it may be 4 years old design wise, but whats wrong with it? it's still the most functional case in the industry, there's not much, if anything I would change about it. I just wonder why everyone wants a completely new enclosure.. If it ain't broke, don't fix it =)

4. job macrumors 68040

job

I don't really care what it looks like; what matters to me is whats inside. :D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm more worried about the inside too, but there was all the hype about a new enclosure and I was just hoping something would come along and make us all say 'Wow!'

This isn't it. Its the old design, which is fine, just not anything to get excited about.

D

6. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

it may not be the radical redesign that many were anticipating, but from the disucssions with insiders it does sound as if the case redesign is more significant than the previous remodels. many of the changes are just not so abundantly obvious. the two drives required a large change, the latch has been reenginerred as well. yes these may seem like small changes compared to what we were expecting but they do represent a real and productive change, not just the superficial change that one may immediatly think has been performed when looking at these images.

and hopefully the changes under the hood will be exciting enough so that apple could drop the guts in a burlap sack and we would still be glad to rush out and drop $3k at the cashier's counter to take home are g4 burlap sack.

8. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

One thing I personally would like to see change are the handles on the bottom. They don't fit with my cpu holder under my desk. It's too curved for the flat holder. I suppose I could cut the holder down a bit, but that's a real pain in the arse. Even if I unscrewed the handles, the curve still causes a problem. Anyway, I don't care that much about the looks of the computer since I'm going to shove it under the desk. But then again if it was really phat looking I might make room on the top.

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

That thing is damn ugly. I don't think that the Apple Design Team would ever live it down if they released something like that. Bring on the TiMac!:D

10. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

i thought the firewire ports were gonna be open? Someone probably just rendered that puppy....we'll see how long it'll take Apple to bring down the picture

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok people, remember to download the picture before Apple start crying about it :eek: :eek: :eek:

As always, is a matter of getting use to it, the first G3 for me was and is ugly, blue version seems better, sometimes even better than the actual enclosures.

When the first iMac cem out I thought they were uglie (too much retro for me).

The only computer that I really like ata glance is the new iBook, I even think the 15" version looks better than the 17".

The eMac looks like a mentally challenge computer. The Ti looks like a PC, the iBook looks like one of those tablets where you draw ustuff with the two kwobs on the sides. G3 powerbook looks like Batman stuff (I like them), and that is it.

12. ktlx macrumors 6502

Of course it is not all that different. Making it much different would have been way too hard in Photoshop.:D

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: New Picture of G4 Enclosure

Lest there be any confusion, this is an artist rendering. It is labeled as such on the site. A SpyMac contributor posted this and other images to show what the "case" looks like.

Don't get too excited.

Update: Earlier Photoshopped versions of the "new case" were posted on SpyMac to show visitors what it looked like. This is a new one. The contributor doesn't specifically call this a "photograph" of a real case. By not labeling it as an artist rendering, he leaves it to the viewer to infer what he wants.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Figures, photoslop

Ok, still hopefull for something cool - and yes I know that the insides are totally different - good, but lets see some of the Award Winning Designing Apple is so famous for!

D

15. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'd like to see that rendered with an all white face.... Get rid of the off color drives.

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

another thing to note is that our insider apple58 or whatever his name was mentioned that the photo that this photorender was modeled after was not the final design but represented something earlier than what he saw. i took this to mean that the leaked photo was both an earlier model and something that wasnt even completely assembled. the metal plate over the drives looks like it is missing a face plate of some sort. this whole situation reminds me of the photos of the original g4 that were leaked that had the case lacking the plastic sides, case looked pretty awkward without those plastics sides.

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

New PowerMac Product Photo

A new product shot of the new PowerMac enclosure. The URL was sent to us by a user:

It is presently hosted on Apple's servers, and I expect will be taken down momentarily.

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Looks a lot nicer...

...without the plastic on it. If anyone needs it (assuming it gets taken down), post in this thread and I may or may not get around to emailing it to you (if not, someone else probably will).

19. dnelsongb macrumors member

OH MY GOD!

I finally got to see a post before it was taken away. Glad I've been checking in more often! Hope this means G5

20. tortus macrumors member

Sweet

Lets hope it means DDR and a large MHZ boost! I have given up on the g5 this year. maybe next.

21. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

apparently this is just a mock-up done by someone at spymac. there is another thread for this same rendering in one of the other forums.

22. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

very nice looking enclosure. The irony of apples pics on their own site cracks me up, especially in light of the fact they dont give press passes to the rumor sites any longer

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ah... well, then... less exciting....

arn

24. serpicolugnut macrumors member

Looks like the real deal...

Looks pretty genuine to me.

It does look alot better than the previous photo that was circulating.

I was really hoping though that Apple would finally retire this case. It's way overdue for a redesign.

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member