New PowerMac ugly?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Aug 13, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IMHO the old QS case design looked much nicer than the new one, what do you think?

2. clubsport macrumors member

I have to say yes, it is ugly. There is a resounding majority in the Mac community that agree with us, but what are you going to do? They're still fast (very!), and they don't look as bad as a PC! Thank God for that!

3. iGav macrumors G3

I wasn't much of a fan of the old Quicksilver case.... I preferred the original Graphite one......

The redesign for the latest model certainly seems to be for more functional reasons than just aesthetic eye candy.....

I'll need to see one in the flesh to really judge though....... the frontal vents though look kinda mean...... but the vents at the back are totally mental....... :p

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

definitely ugly

the back is a beast too.... ahh well

5. dnte42 macrumors regular

Very unattractive. Just put a paper bag over it and you're good :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

eh, not much exciting going on with the new case - nice to see the rumors were correct, which is good for rumors in general. But there was a part of me hoping the pics were fake or of a prototype, not the real one.

Oh well, lets see what happens on the next models released in 4-6 months......

D

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I didn't like the old Quick Silver enclosure, the enclosure before that one is nicer. The Quick Silver enclosure was too cold for me.

The actual enclosure looks nicer, it is a matter of getting use to it. It is something you will spect to see in a japanese cartoon (anime) or something like that.

The non sense is the dual optical drive. I would like to be able to place a zip drive or a removable drive!!! that would be good. A 120GB drive that I can take every where with a fire wire conector.

8. iGav macrumors G3

the top of the line ones don't ship for maybe 2 months....... makes you wonder when we'll actually see another revision, it could be quite a way into next year..... certainly not MWSF if we go by current offerings.......

9. iGav macrumors G3

What with those air intakes...... :p :p :p

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not only what igav said (who knows when new ones will be released....) but it sucks that after every upgrade most people are saying, well, we'll see what comes next.

at some point, the goods need to be delivered.... and it will take a new chip i think because from a business standpoint they won't just take the old chips and boost em much much faster in one jump... i mean, if one day you can get a 800 for 1699 and the next day you can get a 1.2 ghz or 1.2 ghz dual for that price (according to the speculation, not the reality)... then people would complain like hell, even more than the guy who got his computer in feb and is complaining.....

so i guess the key is the power4..... i guess

11. dnte42 macrumors regular

Didn't you hear? In lieu of G5's Apple got Motorola to make G4's that supply their own air, and Apple just put holes in the enclosure to save on material costs...:rolleyes:

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The Quicksilver was way more elegant.

This looks a bit like they took the older drive harness from the graphites mad eit match the xserve, took the front fromt the quicksilver which was supposed to match the tibook--- really damned hodgepodged.

IMHO

13. iGav macrumors G3

The 1Ghz and more so the 1.25Ghz look like they're going to be stormers..... ;) :)

Unfortunately whatever Apple release there's going to be a certain subset of people that don't like it..... or believed the unsubstantiated rumours doing the rounds...... This latest revision looks like been a top notch machine though.......

Either way though... what's currently available doesn't really affect me, cos I'm not buying until early next year.....

Can't wait to see the bench marks for the 1.25ghz one though...... ;) :)

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good, then it's not just me then that thought it was ugly :D
    But who really cares, it's the inside we care about, and that DP 1.25Ghz looks VERY nice!

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Quick comparison...

Attached Files:

16. dnte42 macrumors regular

That was the nice thing about the Quicksilver, everything in the front looked like it belonged there. Blended nicely, etc. With the new ones, that faceplate just comes out of nowhere...why make it chrome? Why? Chrome on the iPod was a mistake as well, but thats a whole other can of worms.

17. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I find the case rather nice.
    It shows that we're dealing with a beast here.

18. dnte42 macrumors regular

The case does have a rather aggresive look to it, which is probably why I don't like it. Apple hasn't really been so bold with any of their recent designs and it will just take time to get used to.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

of course it affects you... the better this line is, the better the next will be...

had this line been up to 1.6 ghz. then the next would have to be 1.8+... or some new chip

so unless the next one's a new chip (hopefully) then this line greatly influences the next....... eh?

if they gave us fw 2 on this one, then we'd defly have it on the next one. but since it's not here now, we might not get it next revision. etc etc.

see???? :D

and yeah, the optical drives just look out of place... oh well

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't know if I like the 4 holes in front...kinda odd...

and the front panel is very industrial looking...

it's definitely not as graceful looking as the previous version...

but whatever...it's got DDR...dual processors....

now if they just dump Motorola and go with a capable chip manufacturer... ;)

21. iGav macrumors G3

Not necessarily........ assumption is the mother of all f*@k-ups....... :p

I know what you're getting at...... but at this point..... whatever the spec of the current machine is, does not affect me at this time........ we don't know for sure what future incarnations of the Power Mac range hold for us, neither do we know the specs..... So ultimately the next generation may/or may not have any influence from the current range......

No one knows........ :D

22. job macrumors 68040

job

The new one actually does not seem that bad....

I'd have to see it in person, but then again I'm not going to buy it for looks.

The new dual-1Ghz is looking really good right now....although I can't decide whether or not it is better to have a faster bus or a larger L3 cache...

23. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the new case almost looks like some peecee guy came by and added a few "mods" to it....reminds me of a custom-built wintel CRAP.....i'm just happy i've got the quicksilver

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

so ugly, yes, but the stats bring us closer to the athlon XP and pentium 4...perhaps the benchmarks will have us exceed the pc world

either way, no one can say the pcs are WAY faster than the powermacs

if the first processor runs at 1.25 ghz and the second one almost as fast (duals never double speed 100% in benchmarks), it is safe to say we can match any 2 ghz pc machine...but i will wait for the benchmarks

the basic dual 867 still seems the best dollar for dollar deal but i know many of the macrumors crowd does not have that budget issue like me so i know i will no doubt be seeing g4-dual 1.25 ghz in some of the member's signatures...:p

25. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Cheap optical drive look

I think everything looks fine except for the optical drives. The design looks PC i.e. it looks like it was slap together with no thought. Gives the appearance of the off the shelf component. How about slot loading CD/DVD bay like the TiPowerBook?