new powermac up

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr Jobs, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

2. chills macrumors newbie

Since I can't post a new thread... I am posting here... Maybe someone can tell me how to do that!

Just wanted to get some opinions on this:

If you look at all the current information we have received in the last 24 hours I am completely convinced that Apple has dumped Motorolla. Why?

1) Apple did not go with the next generation chips (high bus speed G4s)

2) The huge heat sink on the same chips... These are just 1GHZ CPUS overclocked to 1.25.

3) Motherboard design is definately for new CPUs but Apple is still using old cpus. This design is out to just to short term satisfy a majority of customers.

If you look at this info as well as financial information from IBM and Motorola as well as postings from Motorola employees who say development for the PowerPCs used in the Mac stopped 10 months ago one can easily determine the fate of the Apple/Motorola relationship. In January we will see this Motherboard with new IBM Power chips. IBM cpus will have true DDR implementation, 2GHZ+ speeds, and new Altivec support.

These new IBM cpus with this new motherboard will produce a competitive hardware solution to all x86 computers as well industry leading server solutions. With the line growing thinner and thinner between professional and consumer graphics cards, you will see High End PowerMacs with incredible graphics power within 6-10 months.

I would love to hear any further info anyone has or anyone that disagrees with me!

Chills

3. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: new powermac up

Really?

4. sumosanta macrumors newbie

IBM cpus will have true DDR implementation

i dont understand.....?
    r u saying that the new powermacs dont take full advantage of DDR SDRAM? what do u mean "true DDR implementation". i am kinda new to this stuff.:confused:

5. chills macrumors newbie

The new DDR is a HACK..

This means you are only getting true DDR speeds between the Memory and the DDR Memory controller. The actual CPU is still running at 133. This is why the xServe didn't great performance increases over the standard Dual 1gig. Now the DDR hack is still a performance increase but will not show the Great increases you will see with the CPU I/0 running at higher bus speeds.

If I am incorrect please anyone chime in... I would like to hear more thoughts on this!

Chills

6. tortus macrumors member

DDR Hack

Yes, this is what it is. Though it will be faster, the CPU is still stuck on the 133 bus. But, with DDR, we are doubling it. I expect to see decent improvements when the benchmarks come out.

One of my biggest issues with the new Powermacs: Why the **** would Apple include an ATA 100 and ATA 66 channel on the mobo?!!!! Why not two ATA 100? I am going to lose my ****ing mind. Is it a cost issue. OMFG, Apple where are your heads at?

7. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: DDR Hack

I thought that the mid-range and high-end were 167mhz bus?

8. tortus macrumors member

only the memory

sorry, I didn't mean 133 bus. I meant CPU frequency. My bad. Yeah low end has 133 with mid and high using 167, but in accordance with chills, the 167 bus will be useless with g4 processors designed to work with PC133 memory.

9. ponyboy macrumors regular