new! powermac vga to tv ouput?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 9, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    hi, i'm new to macs from pc. have g4 powermac 450x2 gigabite ethernet according to and of course my mac says so.

i recently bought a new powermac thinking i could use my old pc monitor -NOPE! i tried 3 and only the newest (which isn't mine workd) so it isn't the video card. i had also bought a dvi to vga adaptor ahead of time just in case (not knowing anything about macs) which DIDN't even fit to what i suspect is the dvi port.

1)what do i need to buy to send a signal to my tv?
    2)what do i need to buy to have it work w/ my old PC monitor?

thanx! -Toby
  2. macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    To output to a TV you'll need a S-Video or VGA output on your computer (another video card). I am a bit confused on if you have a G4 or if you have a "new" PowerMac (you said both things). What kind of monitor is your old PC a VGA? Cause any monitor should work fine with that computer. To be honest you need to be a bit more specific about it all.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    well when i said "new"i meant new to me. its acutally from the year 2000 according to

i tried 2 ancient pc monitors (from the early 90s) and they work on the pc but not my powermac. the year 200X monitor (not mine) worked perfectly.

my video card has 2 ports (suspected)DVI, and vga. but i've seen adaptors for sale that output s-video or composite from the vga port. i just don't want to waste my money b/c it won't work or get the wrong one
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006