"New" PowerMac!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hcuar, Mar 12, 2005.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm pretty excited... I purchased the PowerMac that coleg was selling on the classified section! I picked it up today... Swwwwweeeet... It's fast as heck.

I've already ordered an extra gig of RAM from Crucial!!! ;) That'll make it match what I put in my sig. Anyway, not that anyone cares, but I'm pretty excited. Now the task of getting the wife to make the switch. We had our first learning session tonight. She only disliked the red "x" doesn't actually close programs. I told her just click the red "x" and don't worry about it. ;)

2. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Congrats on the purchase - I want one too soon!

Ummm... just curious, was gonna start a thread on it... I remember seeing that you can only put in certain amounts of ram like if you put in 2 gig it has to be all the same kind etc etc...

So say my powermac comes with an initial 1GB in 2x512MB sticks. If I bought 2 more 512 MB sticks I'd be ok to upgrade to 2GB but I couldn't just buy one 512 or like 768 in a 512+256...?

Phew!

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I think you need to buy "matching pairs". I bought two 512MB DIMMS from Crucial. There are already 2 - 256MB DIMMS installed.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

PowerMac G5 towers require RAM in pairs, you can't install single DIMMs. PowerMac G4s, eMacs, iMac G4s and iMac G5s can take singles, The Mini has one lonely socket
    *Books take ram singly, the 15" and 17" have two sockets, the iBook and PB 12" only one