New PowerMacs? Aug 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by arn, Aug 4, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Here's hoping, man. Eyes peeled, fingers crossed. Everyone chant "DDR"... ;)

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yep... I'm hanging out for it, but I think it will be on or after the 13th because of the rebate.

If we all wish really hard at the same time, do you think we might be able to make it happen sooner? :D

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm not sure, but August 5th seems a little early. But, you never know, Apple can still surprise us, can't they?

5. MacMaster macrumors 6502

When I go to sleep tonight will there be a new powermac to greet me in the morning?...

*ponders for a moment*

Ah...One can only hope...

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

7. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

DDR? Forget that! Chant, "RDR!!! RIMM, RIMM, RIMM!!! It's time to play catch-up!"

:D

8. MacMaster macrumors 6502

RDR? RIMM? Please explain!

9. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Chant! Chant! Chant!

G5! G5! G5!

64-bit! 64-bit! 64-bit!

533Mhz bus! 533Mhz bus! 533Mhz bus!

Heehee :D

10. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Oh......I think...:rolleyes: :p

11. eirik macrumors regular

new PowerMac

Oh hell, let's hear it for an all optical system on a chip that runs over a thousand times faster than the current G4!

Ooops, I must be getting jaded!

Seriously though, I too, of course, hope for an x86 crushing system!!!

Hail to the Redskins! Oh, whoops, wrong forum.

Must go to sleeee

12. oddfuzz macrumors member

My Vote is late August...

...Late August, say, around the 24. I really don't think apple wants anything stealing Jaguars Glory, at least untill it's something that comes fully equiped with it and espeseally with the orders already being takin for it. I just can't see apple selling anything new without 10.2 installed.

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: My Vote is late August...

They could still announce them early, and not ship until after Jaguar starts shipping.

I hope to see them on the 13th.

14. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: My Vote is late August...

They could do........ but as you say it's more likely to be around the 13th.......

Maybe Apple will release as soon as the current PowerMac inventory reduces to a certain level..... they can probably be very flexible on the release date because they haven't announced anything about possible PowerMac releases.......

I figure that if the inventory reduces quickly enough then we'll get an earlier release date....... if not the hot favourite has to be around the time the current promotion runs out..... or the very tail of this month........

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: Re: Re: My Vote is late August...

i think igav hit the nail on the head. they are ready. have been since mwny, but apple still has too many powermacs in inventory. so as soon as those supplies dry up we will see an announcement. although i would say aug 13 is a pipedream. any time before aug 24 is unlikley since as people have said it will steal jag's thunder (even if only announced, the announcement is the big thing). and that pretty much brings us to september already.

so powermacs in september (and lots of confused mac fans when aug ends and no new powermacs).

(but if you want 'em early maybe you should buy a bunch of current powermacs to help apple clear inventory... just a thought ;) )

16. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

OK, we'll see what Apple pulls out of his sleeve.

Is this the thread where I should start chanting??

'DDR, DDR, DDRRR, DDR, oe ah
    DDR, DDR, DDRRR, DDRR,
    GEEFIVEEE, GEEFIVE, GEEEFIVEE, GEFIVE
    SYSTEMBUHUS, SYSTEMBUS'

Hard to put some melody in a text :D
    But it's supposed to be a soccer-fan chant :D

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I doubt apple has cleared out all of its inventory. Im guessing a mid august release, but no later then the middle of september. If we dont get a new PM by sept i will be mad. :(

I dont really care for it being a g5, but a 7500 g4 chip would be sweet too. But it will be a 7470 i think. Good enough ;)

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, two times come to mind for the debut of the new machines if they happen today - the most obvious one would be 10AM EST - when the first Apple Stores open on the east coast - and just before that the store.apple.com should be updated and show the 'please stand by' announcement.

So far nothing.

D

19. djniche macrumors regular

I was at the apple store in clarendon and they told me that
    they are doing a new layout design for the store. Meaning signs and putting demo ipod 20gigs tomorrow tuesday 6th! could be this to go along with a new product introduction?? I'll be at the store tomorrow to see what new they have.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think today we'll see anything. They redo the store every once in a while anyway, so it could be nothing more than a normal change

Its after 10AM and this from apple.com - notice no 'NEW' in the G4 section.....

Attached Files:

21. djniche macrumors regular

watch tomorrow the 6th if not
    very likely next tuesday the 13th

we are just going to have to be patient.
    I wonder if I should go get that tibook this week?!???! would you wait?

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you have the funds now, get one... If you want to save more and maybe get some upgrades put in it right off the bat, wait until you can. I would really suggest getting the 800MHz model. I have that one and do NOT regret it in the least. I also have 768MB of ram installed, along with the stock airport card and 40GB drive.

One thing I would say, do NOT install sharity onto it. That software (to access a shared folder on a pc) WILL **** your airport card over and require you to restore the system to get a stable airport connection once again.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

do you plan on seeing an update to the TiPB? It might not happen at the same time as the desktops, but who knows. I'll bet it happens next week after the rebate offer ends. Then I'll be making my own trip to the Clarendon store at lunch.

D

24. MacMaster macrumors 6502

They usually release new products on mondays or tuesdays...Wait what day is the 13th?
    *checks calender*
    Tuesday...Well it's possible I suppose...