New Powermacs card specifics

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MadsMads, May 3, 2005.

1. MadsMads macrumors newbie

Just ordered a dual 2.3 powermac.. (thank you apple for developer discount!)

First: at the order status screen it was first listed as a "Powermac dual 2.3 PCI-X"... now status has changed to "Open" and the PCI-X part of the name has disappered. This may be a wild guess, but perhaps we will see an alternative dual 2.3 soon?

Secord: My order listing states that im getting a ATI Radeon 9650 XT. Can anybody confirm that the cards in the new powermacs are "xt" versions?

2. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Can you grab a screenshot?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple dropped ADC from the cards, so they needed a new name.

The 9650 has double the memory and a dual-link DVI port.

All they lack of or inclusion of PCI-X and XT are probably just data entry problems in their database at different points in the order process -- not changes in specs.

If you want details on the specs look here...

Power Mac G5 Developer Note April 2005

4. blandings macrumors newbie

ATI Radeon 9700!

I have had nothing but problems with my new G5 2.3. so finally reached someone knowledgeable at Applecare. Apple says it is a glitch that the card is listed as the 9600, not the 9650. I also found the card listed as the 9700 under software exensions. He said that, too, is a glitch and some of their best engineers are working on it. Right.

5. homesicksooner macrumors newbie

Glitch???

I am about to purchase a 2.3 PM. Would the 2.0, or 2.7 be better for me to buy or does the glitch affect all PMs?

6. wangahrah macrumors newbie

Depending on what the "nothing but problems" you've had have been...there's not really a "glitch" here. The 9600 XT is just a 9600 clocked higher. The 9650 is the same, just has dual dvi so it can power the 30" display. The memory clock speed is also reduced on the 9650, to 270mhz from the XT's 311mhz, presumably because of more ram (9650 has 256mb of vram vs 128 on XT). This will really have negligible effects on performance.

The listing in extensions as a 9700 really is inconsequential...these cards sport the same features, so can use the same drivers. A 9600-9800 will all have the 9700 listed as active in the extensions. No problems there, and in that I'll agree he's lying that their "best engineers" are working on it. Though they might be, now that they don't have to fit a G5 into a laptop.