New PowerMacs not before May, 8th?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Veldek, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

What do you think of the fact that Apple's RAM promo in Germany lasts until May, 8th? I don't hope so but could this perhaps mean that updates won't come out before this date?

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

I don't think this carries any weight because no matter when Apple announces new PMs, we won't be able to get one here in Europe before May 8 anyway. (May 8 is just 7 weeks away!)

3. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yes, this is true (though we could order one before). And the promo only works with today's PowerMacs as it seems. But I still see a chance that this could be bad news...

4. Zaty macrumors 65816

Just another thought: If PMs aren't updated untill May 8, why does Apple end the American promotion on March 27? My best guess is that we'll see new PMs sometime between March 27 and May 8.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'm beginning to have less faith in the RAM offers guide to Apple upgrades.

8th May is just too late by a long way.

6. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Something to think about is the article on MacBytes that states "Apple forewarns resellers of product dry spell". In it you can read: "Power Mac G5 revisions may not ship until much later in April", which makes it more probable that May, 8th could be an important date.

7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

They only base that off the ship dates of the XServe G5s.

May 8th means nothing...

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Well we have less than 6 days now to see what the 30th will bring for Mac Fans. I'm still going to stick with my original thinking.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

G5 upgrades will appear soonish, I agree. Europe (and Australia) will not get them for a while after the US shipping date.

10. .a macrumors regular

in switzerland there is the same promo until may 8th ... i just wonder who will buy a powermac in europe when new ones are released in the usa in april ...
    .a

11. Zaty macrumors 65816

There are always people who have to buy a new computer immediately and can't wait 6-8 weeks for the new revision to arrive. I was in similar situation two months ago. I ordered a new iBook G4. Unfortunately they were on back order here in Switzerland and after four weeks of waiting and still no definite shipping date, I had to gave in and bought a PowerBook because I needed a new laptop.

Secondly, there are also a number of users who are not interested in browsing rumour sites. They buy their computer when they feel like buying one. But I'm sure once Rev. Bs are announced, sales figures will drop but that applies to every brand and every industry.

12. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

You don't really think PowerMacs will be available for order in the US first, do you? Could be that the actual shipping might take longer in Europe, but I don't think I can't order one at the same time than the Americans. That is really no reason, that May, 8th can't be the date.

Don't get me wrong, I also hope new PowerMacs will come out this month, I just want to discuss the possibility of further delays and your arguments don't convince me yet.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In New Zealand, there's a promotion where if you buy a PowerBook before 27/3, you can get a 40 GB for $99 (about US$65). So I'm expecting new Power Macs, PowerBooks, or both, on the 30th (Tuesday).

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I actually think they are trying to clear iPod stock as well as reduce their powerbook stock in preparation for new ones in June. I think the 20 and 40 gigs are not moving as well as the new 15 and they know the miniipod will such sales away from the larger ones. So I don't see this as a good sign of any new powerbooks any sooner. Indeed the way things are I think it more likely that new iPods would appear to build on the sensation with new software features...

15. Zaty macrumors 65816

I guess, there are two likely possibilities at hand: Either they're released on March 30 or not all until at least May 8 or even WWDC.

16. Zaty macrumors 65816

One or two revisions in 2004?

BTW, one important question regarding the release date of new PMs is whether there will be one or two revisions of PMs this year. If the answer is two, the release date will most definitely be sometime before May 8 (March 30 or April 6 at the latest). However, should Apple in fact plan only one release in 2004, WWDC seems to be the date.

17. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

This story makes it even more probable. So perhaps there's really only one revision this year.