New powermacs with white keyboards

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noelmac75, Feb 5, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the new powermacs ship with white keyboards?

2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Black

They ship with black ones.

Pro Series- Black Keyboard and Mouse
    Consumer Series- White Keyboard and Mouse

-jeff

3. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

nope....

Actually, they ship with white. Personally, I don't know why. I thought the pro line was black, consumer white too, but the new powermac (FW800) broke that mold.

4. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Oops, guess I answered before I had factual evidence.

Damn, already wasted my mistake for the year.

-jeff

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

no worries...

Don't worry about it. I nearly crapped myself when I saw the white keyboard in the Powermac box. I think the white one's look a little cheap, compared to the black ones. But hey, end the end, a keyboard is a keyboard.

6. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

I had heard that the white keyboards/mice are actually better made than the other ones...

7. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Personnaly i find the white key board nicer. my sister has a black one to use with her ibook and my mom has the white one that came with her 800mhz g4 imac. i find it looks... more like a product from apple. the black one i find also hard to see the keys when it is dark.. but everyone has there own opinion.

8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

open your eyes. ha ha. :D

9. iGav macrumors G3

Nothing, but nothing looks worse than white when it get's dirty....

Apple should has gone silver... like the new PowerBook keyboards... they look sweet..... But a white keyboard with a silver machine???

Hmmmmmmm.......

10. movmkr macrumors newbie

I wish they had released a "metal" keyboard/mouse combo ala the new 12" / 17" powerbooks. Throw in some bluetooth...an extra button and a wheel on the mouse...

God I can't wait till bluetooth is everywhere, I'm especially waiting for a decent keyboard and mouse (come on MacAlley and Kensington) but I'd also love to see Griffen turn their "PowerMate" bluetooth. I'd say bluetooth printers too, but now that Airport Extreme Stations have a printer port it's not as high on my list of priorities...

Take care all - Matt

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The problem with the white keyboards is that you have to keep your hands clean.
    After digging in the garden everyone, just by looking at your keyboard, will know which letters are used when typing your logon password :D

12. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i like my white keyboard, especially the key feel, it surpasses everything i'v ever used (which isn't really much). I haven't had any trouble keeping the top clean, but underneath inside the plastic is kinda nasty, and its really annoying when hair/crumbs/dirt fall between the keys or around the side, since its clear.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Black ones dont show the dirt but you cant see em in the dark, white ones show the dirt but you can see em in the dark. What Apple needs to do is just what they did with the new powerbooks, backlighted keys!

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it would certainly make them justified in their $60 price tag...

i don't know how much power the light draws... USB only has so much juice... but it can't be much, since it's in a laptop...

Macally or Kensington or someone will have one out soon enough :)

pnw

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I, too, haven't really had any trouble keeping the keys clean on my white keyboard. They look like new. But there are a few hairs underneath the plastic. I like both the white and the black keyboards.

16. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

17. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i would go and buy another one for AUD125 if they did that.

it would be so cool. also, i work at night alot. my mum and dad dont like my light being on. baccklit keys would be way cool - not to mention the showoff factor

18. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

The biggest problem I've had with both recent white and black keyboards is the 'return' key. It's single height, whereas the original pro keyboards (black only) have a double-height return which is obviously much easier to hit and defines the keyboard layout better.

I've just ordered a 1.42GHtz and will keep using my old black pro keyboard when it comes.

I'm annoyed they come with the white ones as they'll look crap next to a silver machine.

H

19. synthetickittie macrumors regular

I also just ordered a 1.42 PM, Ive never had a mac so I oviously have yet to have either black or white keyboards that they make. But I definitly would rather have back becase the kepyboard I have for my PC is black and it still get all the **** inbetween the keys and you can see it easly, now I cant imagine how horrible its gonna be with white keys. But hell Im getting a mac and its a 1.42 dual.. Im not about to realy complain

20. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the white keyboards will look cool with new powermacs, I think they made them white to go with the new 20" display, as they are a white/grey colour now. Also would anyone happen to have a pic of the white keyboard with the new powermac, what if this was all just a rumor??

21. spacepower macrumors member

White Keyboard

""""I think the white keyboards will look cool with new powermacs, I think they made them white to go with the new 20" display, as they are a white/grey colour now. Also would anyone happen to have a pic of the white keyboard with the new powermac, what if this was all just a rumor??"""""

I just got a New DP 1.25 and 20" Cinema
    I got a white keyboard and mouse, Bright white like the iMAC.
    I wish they would have shipped grey keyboards like the new powerbooks. The keyboard doesn't match the dispay at all. How about a pinstripe keyboard ;) jk

I guess i will have a matching keyboard when this ugly white one gets dirty and turns grey. They should have shipped white G4 towers to match the ugly keyboard.

My prediction, if apple is going to stay with this white theme, then the 970 is going to ship in a white tower. Actually that could look really nice. White sybolizing purity, lack of Microsoft evilness in the OS ;)

Peace

22. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

the black ones look disgusting. i hate the slight see through deal and the slightly bluish look. They may not all be like that, but that is all they have at my school, and it is really ugly. It would be awewsome if they made a black one with the texture and opacity of the white ones. It is much easier for me at least to type on my laptop, as the keys are much easier to press. of course, the problem is, that is all im used to.

23. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i've never seen these black ones..... or maybe i have.... :confused:

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think the recent keyboards you're talking about are the American issue – their layout is a little different from the British, which does indeed have a double height return. The G5 I acquired in the summer came from the States, and I'm still getting used to that bloody return key!

25. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Wow, this thread got woken from the dead! It's 2 years old! :eek: