New PowerPC G4 Heading for Apple Notebooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by abrooks, Jun 20, 2005.

1. abrooks macrumors 6502a

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Well I just received my new Powerbook so it will be sods law that these now appear. I don't really mind though as long as we don't see the G4 get an on board memory controller which I understand Freescale are developing. The FSB improvements as well as the power savings are typical of the G4's development; a step in the right direction but very very very gradual.

3. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

How soon? How soon? Me wantee! :D

4. abrooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

They expect to release the chip around October this year so maybe Macworld Paris?

5. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

If these go in the next Powerbook revision, maybe the iBook will inherit some of the current Powerbooks specs. Also, this would allow Apple to update iBooks and Pwerbooks at the same time. :)

6. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Current PowerBook 1.67ghz

New freescale chip 1.7ghz....

No wonder they're jumping ship to intel.

These baby steps in processor speed are not enough to compete, nor to interest current Powerbook owners to upgrade. I've had my powerbook for 2 years, and they've only improved it by 667mhz since then. There's nothing to make me want to upgrade... and I'm very easily convinced to part with my hard earned cash for shiny new mac goodies.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Ha! That's what I was going to say. According to AppleInsider:
    "The chip will likely begin showing up in Apple laptop-based systems shortly thereafter, offering a substantial increase in battery performance and slight speed boost over today's systems."

Nothing like a "speed bump" of .03 GHz to get the pulse racing.

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Apple always got faster speeds out of the G4s then specified. I would assume 1.8 GHz and a FSB of 200MHz.

I only wonder what could the next graphics be? I heard that the X700 is only PCIe.

The 9700 is now 1.5 years old - they must get something else. But what?

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats funny but whats more funny is this is another Motostinkfictional i dream of Jeanie roadmap. When the product ships i will yawn, until then.....

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The bump in the FSB will certainly help, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much power savings there will be. They talk about the 7448 giving "GHz-class performance at less than 10 watts." I don't know what exactly they mean by "GHz-class performance." IIRC, the 7447A can already perform at 1 GHz at under 10W. It's the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz speeds that require 20W+...I want to know how much power the 7448 will draw at 1.7 GHz!

11. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

The 7448 has been rumored to be in the "new powerbook" since last fall-- see this thread. I recall (but could not find today) another thread in which it was advertised in the specs of a non-computer product as an embedded processor-- but there is no other evidence it has been released.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Good question. This sheet is still empty.
    You can find a pdf here