New Predictions

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by rice_web, Aug 14, 2002.

1. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I earlier stated that we'd se "awesome" G4s on the 13th, and G5s in January. I'm already revising my predictions, but not by much. Here it goes:

January - March
    - G5s are released, top out at 1.5GHz

Yeah, I'm sticking with G5s in the roadmap. There is one other thing. With the PowerMacs in dual-only configs, this allows the iMac to scale beyond the highest clocked PowerMac, given it sports only one processor. The iMac will see 1GHz soon.

2. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

yeah, way to go ! The show must go on...need new rumors.

etoiles:"Hi, my name is etoiles..."
    circle:"Hi etoiles !"
    etoiles:"I have been checking out mac rumors every day for at least two months."
    circle:"ooooooooooh (sad)"
    etoiles:"but, with your help, I know I can quit !"
    circle:"yeah, you go etoiles" (applause, encouragements etc.)
    etoiles:"right now, I am going to...ah...ummmm...a, screw it, I am out of here"

the moral of the story ? Bring it on, I want my rumors !

:p

3. chills macrumors newbie

My opinion about Powerbook updates:

I don't believe we will see a Powerbook change for sometime. Because Apple has dropped Moto (evident with the use of the old chips) the powerbook motherboard will need a complete redesign to handle new cpus and ddr ram. Chances are the 1ghz chip is too HOT to make it in the Titanium. I know we won't see the DDR because this requires a G4 chip overclocked. This thing would melt through your clothes. I believe a new powerbook is not going to happen for sometime. They might add a better graphics chip and make other small changes, MAYBE a superdrive but I would bet they won't ship a new PowerBook for a LONG TIME!!!

Chills

4. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Couldn't IBM add their new vector processing to the 750FX and call it the 750FXe? That would be a great processor for the TiBook.

5. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

By the way, couldn't Apple also release an updated tower with FireWire2 and USB2 in November to further hold us over?

I think yes. But we'll just have to see.

6. gaomay macrumors regular

G5?

I'd say a next-gen machine in late Jan, probably with the IBM processor by then @1.6Ghz. iMac will then make it to 1Ghz before being updated to Power4 Lite in mid-2004.

No longer a newbie - yeehah!

7. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I think it's funny, I never imagined that we'd see a G5 until 2004 until this IBM news surfaced.

8. Chryx macrumors regular

Originally posted by chills
    I know we won't see the DDR because this requires a G4 chip overclocked. This thing would melt through your clothes.

FYI, DDR ram requires a supporting memory controller, which doesn't require a G4, overclocked or otherwise :)

and DDR ram uses less power and runs cooler than SDR ram (2.5v verses 3.3v), so it would be beneficial to a laptop anyway.

9. awrc macrumors regular

I predict that we will see faster machines in the future. That's as precise as I'm willing to get.

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

January sounds about right, especially if IBM actually has these chips, unlike Intel that just announced a new chip that is years away at this point.

There's talk of a quiet upgrade to the 7470's when they are ready, if they will ever be ready.

11. chills macrumors newbie

I was speaking of the 166MHZ bus 333MHZ DDR which DOES require the overclocked G4. And if they did such a thing in the powerbook it would melt.

Chills

12. Sherman macrumors regular

lol, a DDR bus doesn't actually run at 333Mhz, it runs at half the speed, it's just doing two things per cycle, so it runs just as cool as it normally would and DOESN'T REQUIRE OVERCLOCKING.

It will stay as cool (actually quite hot) as it has always been.

13. Chryx macrumors regular

I was speaking of the 166MHZ bus 333MHZ DDR which DOES require the overclocked G4. And if they did such a thing in the powerbook it would melt.

They could increase the bus speed whilst lowering the multiplier to keep the processor speed the same, this would make the heat increase negligable, and the lower power requirements for DDR ram would more than cancel that out.

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

no that wouldn't be any good because DDR introduces overhead that SDR doesn't have. Suffice it to say that (166Mhzx2) DDR < 333Mhz SDR

15. Chryx macrumors regular

Originally posted by topicolo
    no that wouldn't be any good because DDR introduces overhead that SDR doesn't have. Suffice it to say that (166Mhzx2) DDR < 333Mhz SDR

Except that 333Mhz SDR is more difficult to manufacture AND would run hotter than 166Mhz DDR

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

ok, fine. 83x2Mhz DDR will be slower than 166Mhz SDR. sheesh

17. sjs macrumors 6502

I have been predicting since May that by MWSF 03, Apple would offer a 1ghz chip for every computer they offer.

I still believe that it is essential that they do this in order to attract "switchers".

I'm starting to doubt whether my "1ghz" prediction by Jan 03 can happen. Thoughts?

18. Chryx macrumors regular

I'll put it this way, if you can manufacture ram that will run at 333Mhz, don't bother bragging that it's faster than DDR ram at half the clockspeed, because DDR ram will be manufacturable at 333Mhz too :)

(you can get the stuff on videocards actually, but there they can tightly control the tracelengths etc)

19. chills macrumors newbie

Isn't the Moto 7455 a 133MHZ bus cpu. They are currently overclocking the CPU to a 166MHZ bus. Yes you could reduce the multiplier to increase the bus speed but you would still increase the heat of the chip. There is more to it, I believe, then just changing a multiplier.

Chills

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

new ibooks and tibooks

new case design...no

faster laptops overall with speedbumps...yes, and possibly, better video cards

superdrive in tibook...maybe

lower prices for ibook and tibook...i hope for 999 and 1999 but doubt it...maybe we will see 1099 for the ibook first, then 999 for ibook later in 2003...also remember that the ibook debuted in 1999 at 1599 with one usb and no firewire

g5...no way, not in san francisco, but in later part of 2003 starting with tower first, then tibook in 2004

i think macworld sf belongs to the laptops this time, not the software or the desktops but emac and imac may get some speed bumps

the most unlikely thing i could imagine for the laptops would be a major case redesign or a g4 processor in the ibook

i like the current case designs in both laptops, but a g4 in an ibook would make me, a modest mac consumer user, buy one

21. Chryx macrumors regular

Isn't the Moto 7455 a 133MHZ bus cpu. They are currently overclocking the CPU to a 166MHZ bus.

Unless the chips were validated / are being validated for 166Mhz by Motorola, which is a possibility.

It's not overclocking if the manufacturer does it, it's "taking yield enhancing measures" :)

22. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: new ibooks and tibooks

Quite true, unless apple releases some profound new product...which seems unlikely. Also the laptops are due for an update by then...when was the last ibook update? Problem is...we might see new enclosures :( ...some renograde pros are clamoring for a return to the Pismo :eek:. Hopefully there'll be a compromise...the icebook and the tibook are quite nice the way they are;). Apple is currently getting input on the current laptops...hopefully we'll see a lot of good upgrades :D

I think that if apple is going to spotlight laptops for MWSF...it'll be more than a little speed bump...we will be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, i'll be terribly disappointed :(

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: new ibooks and tibooks

as much as eyelikeart, one of our longtime gurus here would not like it, an apple pda would be profound and complete the obvious gap we have in the high tech market

we have a computer, server, operating system, hub device...all we need is a pda that would also be a cell phone and then we have all the major areas covered

other cool hub devices could be a gaming device, camera, cell phone, etc.

apple inc is looking to be more than just another computer company thus the change in company name omitting the computer from apple computer inc to just apple inc

24. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Processor too hot for PowerBook

I know this would seem insane, but if the faster processors are too hot for the TiBook, couldn't Apple just come out with a different enclosure? I mean, eventually the processors will have to get faster anyway, so how else would that happen. Would the SOI technology decrease heat?

Gus

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

No... this is simply speculation.

arn