new printer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleo, Feb 26, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Hi all! I just wanted to post to let you know about my experience with my new printer. I decided that it would just be too big of a pain in the ass to try to print off the networked serial printer at my house (there are three Gateways and me, with my happy iMac :). Possible, but annoying. I set out to find a relatively inexpensive inkjet that wouldn't clash too horribly with the clean lines of the flat panel iMac. This weekend I finally settled on the HP 920C. It was for sale for $99 at BestBuy. For such a low price, I must say that it's an amazing little printer. It handles various and sundry media types, is medium gray with charcoal highlights (it would look kickass with a quicksilver), and - the coolest part - the tray folds up to save mega space when you're not using it, even with paper loaded. It was truly plug-and-play; when I restarted the mac the printer was recognized perfectly. Also, I really like that the settings for the printer include options for the density and drying time of the ink, which is great because I never get it right the first time!

I just wanted to share this with you all in case you're shopping for a cheap but good quality printer - the HP 920C is a great choice!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I avoid HP printers (inkjet at least) at almost all costs... I just added the part to my C80 to make it networked. NOW I can print to it from either Mac, running EITHER OS 9 or X, or the peecee that is also on my network.

The tray that the printed sheets go onto on the Epson also collapses and folds up. The footprint is small enough that the paper in the back (almost vertical) doesn't interfere at all.

I also research my hardware before making a purchase. I don't just go to a store and pick something up. I look online for either reviews or compare it to other maker's items that are supposed to be close to the same.

I do know that Lexmark printers are much slower in printing then Epson printers (from the 880 time frame forward since I have compared those). Epson also is constantly improving their printer hardware. Just compare their printers from a few years ago with the ones out today.