New Pro Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sparkleytone, Jan 14, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

please please pretty please. I want a scroll.

I think they could take the same basic design and principle and just add a scroll wheel at the THUMB. that would be so damn cool. Nothing big, just a scroll wheel.

2. MacAddict macrumors newbie

not only a scroll...

yeah definetly a scroll would be nice but to have a two button would be awesome too. I get sick of having to hold the button or hold the control key, if apple came out with a two button scroll mouse while sticking to the original design, that would kick ass. I'd buy it right away....:p

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

4. dantec macrumors 6502a

Yeah...

scroll wheels are nice, but only if Mac OS 10 can actually scroll well. The way win2000 scrolls is absolutely a joke. Whenever there are graphics you scroll past it slows down and almost stops and then scrools super fast when theres text making you pass your original destination!

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

maybe I'm the only one....but I absolutely hate scrolling mice!!

I'm happy with my Pro Mouse...

6. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

Buttons & Wheels

I, too, am one of the many devoted Apple fans who just can't live without a 2-button mouse, and yes, even the scroll wheel. Why Apple won't just give in is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's to keep with the stubborn "very, very simple" philosophy. Or maybe it's because they don't want to copy anything Microsoft did, although I think that after all Microsoft has done, it's about time Apple copy something of theirs.

But alas, Apple is in charge. As soon as I ordered my new QuickSilver, I also ordered a Kensington USB Mouse-In-The-Box, 2-button scroll mouse ($15!). And I couldn't be happier with it. Scrolling is natively supported in OS X, but with Kensington's software, you can control scroll speed, and assign your buttons. The scroll wheel acts as a third button, and a "chord" (pressing the two buttons at the same time) acts as a fourth. So my right button control-clicks, which is beyond intuitive. My scroll button double-clicks, and by chording, I option-double-click, which I've found is the handiest of options. Chord on the desktop, and you hide whatever application was active (just like if you hold down the option key and click the desktop). The double-click part of it is for navigating through the Finder. By chording, I open folders in a new window, and close the one behind. Very, very slick!

Scrolling works very smoothly in OS X, and is supported in (almost?) all applications and even the Finder. I would reccomend it to anyone who wants to maximize productivity... or anyone who's got a lazy left hand.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ack!

Well, I've got a seven-button mouse with three scroll wheels, a trackball, touch-pad, and built-in PDA. :rolleyes:

I, too, wish they'd make at least a two-button mouse with possibly a scroll wheel. I think the "right click" contextual menu would be handy if Apple would expand the contextual menu more!

I've been using one-button mice since the boxey Mac Plus mouse, and I think it's about time we keep up with the technology. Contextual menus didn't exist then, but they do now. Extensive scrolling (eg Web pages) didn't exist then but they do now. We could really use these features.

8. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Apple Mice - just upgrade...

I think it would be nice if Apple had a build-to-order option where you could select other mice. But, I think they should keep the original one-button mouse as the base-model. That's what most Mac users are familiar with. (One button is more than enough for my Mom. :)

Personally, I can't live without a two-button scroller and I don't miss cleaning the gunk out of my old ball-mouse. This is the best feature of the optical.

Of course, now I have a wireless, and there's a new spot on my desk directly over the mouse pad that I could never use before!