New Problem Arrises.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xagoldsteinx, Jan 25, 2006.

1. xagoldsteinx macrumors member

i just deleted all of my custom user f fonts s and glllucida grande. and now i tupe weird. and now i cant see some things correctily in sites . like right nosnow whatever i type shows up to the right of my blinking cursor whatever. HHELP!!!!!:((

heres an image:
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:
    [​IMG]
    and another,

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Your post is really hard to understand.

Can you offer a link to the site you are trying to see correctly, and then explain exactly what you did (as best as possible) .

Did you delete a fonts folder, or an entire library file?

3. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

i think i fixed it. i had a few fonts with the same names as those already on the machine. whoops:) lol

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Good to hear!

I was stumped too :)

5. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

I Hate This.

My Fonts Are Still Effed. Is There A Way To Reformat The Fonts On Osx? Anytthingggg?! Lol

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

More specifically, what is the problem with the fonts? What changes have you recently made to the fonts? :)

7. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

i haven't messed with any of the less obvious things on macs yet, but it is possible to get all the standard fonts off the os x dvd with whatever that program is called?

I think i'm just rambling. Try google for.. font replacement for mac os x. or something weird like that

9. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm really not sure about this, I just saw that people were able to replace deleted programs using the osx dvd that came with your computer. There is some kind of program that can just get individual programs off of it for you. You'd have to do a search about all that... I believe it was called P something.

Maybe you could replace your whole fonts folder with a copy from another unaltered macs? However, once again, I don't know much about macs yet.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Pacifist lets you install from packages on the OSX disks. I don't know about fonts, but it's great for system apps like DVD Player. It's certainly worth a try. :)

Oh, and if they're the user fonts, then would making a new account in System Preferences help? I'm not sure at what level you deleted the fonts.

12. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

I only deleted my User Fonts.
    Would doing a new user keep all of my files?

13. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If you only deleted user fonts, I assume a new user would recreate the font files for you. Then you could just move the files from the old user to the new one? I assume that would work.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, did you delete fonts or did you disable them?

Did you use an app or did you do it through Finder?

A new user will add another account to your computer which will keep the old account but it'll mean that you could potentially transfer everything over to this fresh account and have your fonts back.

However, if you simply disabled the fonts in Font Book then simply enabling them is a much quicker fix. :)

15. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

16. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

ayeaye, mad jew

Give the re-enabling in font book a try first if you disabled them to start with, otherwise. new user account would most likely do the trick.

In addition, here's a question. Is it possible to display my name in the 'taskbar' up there without having multiple accounts? Doesn't matter much, just thought it was kind of cool.

17. xagoldsteinx thread starter macrumors member

System Preferences >>> Accounts >>> Enable Fast User Switching. I'm making a new account now.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you'll need to reinstall them, sorry. Deleting them through Finder means that a new account won't help. :eek:

Umm... I don't have the OSX disk with me to check but try using Pacifist to find the individual fonts you deleted and reinstall. If there are massive amounts of fonts then it may be easier doing an Archive And Install which is effectively a new user account but with a new version of the system (with all default fonts).

calebjohnston, I guess you could make a dummy account and then enable Fast User Switching to get your name in the top right. :)

19. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

heh, alright. not that big a deal. thanks tho

edit: heyy this post changed me to a member. high five