New Products at MacWorld Expo

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 31, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

ComputerWorld reports that MacWorld will serve as a launching board for many new products.

A short list of new products to be launched from various vendors are listed. These include new versions of software and hardware, updated to take advantage of Mac OS X.

Apple is widely expected to make a few new releases themselves... with rampant rumors of mini iPods.

2. macrumors member

ummmmmm YAY!

3. macrumors newbie

I ponder if a new version of Virtual PC will be released, which supports PPC970.. One could only hope!

4. macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

New creature speakers!

Upon hearing the quality of the original Creature Speakers, it was clear that way too little emphasis was put on making the beautiful peripherals actually sound as good as they look. Here's hoping the function of the new ones are as great as the form.

5. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yes, I am actually hoping that Microsoft announces a new version of Office and Virtual PC 7, as it was reported by AI a few weeks ago.

6. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031208140623.shtml

It is rumored that MS will be releasing a new version of Office and VPC in January. Here's hoping for direct X support for the v-cards found in the various Macs. (I think it’s a tad too early to expect this kind of support but one can always hope.) These cards aren't all that different from those found in the PC. It's just a matter of accessing the cards in a fashion that doesn't dink with OSX. DirectX is pretty invasive. I can't imagine that would be an easy task. If they could *drools* games. Any potential hesitation I had for getting a Mac goes up in smoke. :( Which basically assures they won't do it doesn't it?

7. macrumors regular

Uhmm. While I would be excited for a new version of Virtual PC, don't count on it supporting DirectX, and if it did, don't count on it being fast enough to play any games.

That being said, don't hesitate, my 12" G4 PB is my first Mac, and I love it to death.

8. macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I wonder what we'll see from Aspyr? Perhaps they'll announce Halo 2 for the mac...(demo maybe?!?)

VPC should be much cheaper, but I'm not counting on it.

9. macrumors member

Half-Life 2 on my dual 2 ghz Radeon 9800 23" cinema display is the dream I hold.

Doubt it'll happen, but dream on I will!

10. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

new apple product

I hate to squelch everyone's mini-iPod hopes, but I have heard a reliable rumor to the contrary. Apple will be releasing the MEGA iPod. It will be so big it will have a flip up screen on it, with a mousepad instead of a wheel, and a keyboard instead of the five buttons. It will require a different OS than the iPod has, rumored to be named after a large black cat. This wonderfully new invention will be called a Lap-iPod!

:rolleyes:

11. macrumors regular

Re: new apple product

Any chance this beast of a video/music iPod is made of aluminum? Or perhaps the standard white plastic?

:)

12. macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

even though i don't forsee myself buying one, i am really hoping for an xserve upgrade. apple needs to get them up to date with the power mac line.

13. macrumors member

Rumors have persisted for a while about a new iapp, what are your thoughts about "iWrite"(my own name) a word processing app to compete with microsoft office. i read a report this summer that said that microsoft was stoping produation on further iterations of office for mac along with IE. if apple knows this for sure they may have been developing an app to take over, include in ilifel, maybe package with the upcomming version of panther

14. macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

How about some new ATI retail cards?

15. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Re: Re: new apple product

Wow, I wonder if we have the same source

:D

16. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

The G4's architecture in total has been a joke for years. I want to see what kind of performance a G5 can do to VPC. I've played around with VPC at the Apple store. I get the general impression of a 200Mhz-300Mhz system. This is obviously due to needing to emulate the x86 architecture. Pure speculation on my part but a G5 could potentially jacked that speed up to 500Mhz. Enough to handle quite a few games out there. Add DirectX and you get even more supported games.
    As I said before its unlikely, at least in this version, because of the potential difficulty in making it compatible.

17. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Is your speed impression in Microsoft Mhz or Apple Mhz???

18. macrumors 6502

Any hope for Keynote 2.0?

I use keynote a lot. It's already vastly better than powerpoint in many ways, but it is missing a few essential features.

Most important to me would be the light-table (slide-sorter) view, the ability to use the mouse pointer (preferably to draw, but at the very least, to point) in a presentation, and finally, quicktime control (I can't believe that I have to use PowerPoint to get stop/step-forward/step-backward/rewind control of my quicktime movies). There are plenty of other features that would be nice, but these are must-haves.

Cheers

19. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Rocketman's personal new year's wish list:

[​IMG]

* G5 Powerbook
    - Dependent on 90µm 970's

* ATT Edge wireless broadband or compatible hardware
    - Dependent ONLY on a device driver

* X-Serve G5 (including SAN and 4 way preferably)

* iBook G4 Motherboard upgrade (including for existing service customers and voluntary 3 year warranty extension on motherboard alone)

* A video iPod (with features to astound)

* A low priced iPod (market share dominance strategy)

* A PCI card (or USB dongle) with an assortment of Apple legacy ports with associated device driver runtime environment for OSX.

* A set of translation tools for all prior APPLE branded file formats including MacWrite and MacDraw. Okay if it is a quiet release.

* External RAID and SAN with FW800/400, EN1000/100/10, and USB 2.0/1.1.

* Powermac speedbumps plus one desireable new feature

* A display for the videophile.

And the one we have all been waiting for . . .

"Air Power -tm(me)", the wireless Power Supply for portable devices.

Merry Holidays and Happy New Year to all!

Rocketman

20. macrumors regular

MS has already stopped making IE for Mac (and PC). I doubt very much that they will stop making office for mac. There's just no reason to stop making a product that makes money. To further demonstrate MS's commitment to the Macintosh, MS released Windows Media Player 9 for OS X (and hinted at new versions of VPC for the G5).

I think MS will keep developing for Mac until it no longer makes them money.

21. macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I'd like to take my current 17" pb and have some maintenance to kick it up to, say... 2.4ghz...

...whilst extending the warranty another three months. :D

22. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

PC Mhz. The impression I'm getting is around a 200Mhz-300Mhz PC. With the overall improvement of the G5 PowerMac I'd expect better overall performance on a G5. And eventually a PowerBook G5 when it comes out.

PS-This was on a PowerMac G4 system..

23. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....OmniGroup will be introducing OmniWeb 5.0 ....oh yeah!

24. macrumors regular

Well I know of one new neat product that will be hitting the Apple Stores in a few days.

It's software that uses your iSight or any firewire cam to read gestures made by your arms and hands.

To play games and god knows what else?

Three dimensional sculpting?

Boxing?

here's the link

http://news.freeverse.com/archives/000296.php

25. macrumors member