Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUFFLZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Just enrolled in my first programming class.
just wondering what a good c compiler and editor is?
have a download for jGRASP but dont really like it too much.
any recommendations for FREE editors and compilers?

Last edited:

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
have a download for jGRASP but dont really like it too much.
any recommendations?

Just get Xcode. It includes everything you need. I think it costs £2.99 nowadays on the Mac App Store.

As for an editor something like Text Wrangler, MacVim or BBEdit would do everything you need. Stay clear of Xcode itself until you have learned the basics of programming and got used to using the compiler on the command line.

any recommendations for FREE editors and compilers?

Nice ninja edit.

You can't afford £3? Seriously?

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

If you're willing to put up some effort to learn the command line, try GCC. It will be installed along with XCode if you follow the directions mentioned by one of the above posters. You can then use any text editor you'd like, my preference is TextWrangler. If you're going to follow up this class with more programming classes command line knowledge will give you an advantage.

If you don't want to program on command line then you probably want to use XCode, which is what most Mac developers choose. Another option is to use Eclipse, which is cross platform and widely used. It would probably be fine for your class, but serious Mac programmers would choose XCode.

have a download for jGRASP but dont really like it too much. any recommendations for FREE editors and compilers?

Yeah, I can't say why you would want to use jGrasp as a beginner. Sounds like your professor is trying to plug it :)

Last edited:

RUFFLZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
If you're willing to put up some effort to learn the command line, try GCC. It will be installed along with XCode if you follow the directions mentioned by one of the above posters. You can then use any text editor you'd like, my preference is TextWrangler. If you're going to follow up this class with more programming classes command line knowledge will give you an advantage.

well we're using emacs and the gcc compiler in class, but thats running on linux. so i wanted something easy to use on my macbook!

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
well we're using emacs and the gcc compiler in class, but thats running on linux. so i wanted something easy to use on my macbook!

You can use gcc and emacs on your macbook just fine. Both will be available to you if you install XCode. It might make your life easier to use the same tools.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It might make your life easier to use the same tools.

Seconded. emacs is pre-installed and gcc comes after you install Xcode. Or you can install Aquamacs and the gcc from hpc.

You could even consider installing a Linux VM in Virtualbox to be 100% compatible.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.