New project - feedback wanted.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by amacgenius, Mar 15, 2006.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I just finished/started a new design last night before bed, it's for a project of mine - raise500 (you can read about it at the site), I just wanted some feedback on the design, so here's the link - thanks in advance for your feedback!

raise500

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Nice, simple and clean design.

The premise made me laugh. Likely illegal in some states.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Is this a pyramid scheme?

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think that non charitable raffles are illegal in most states ... plus I mean I know you here and you're a reliable kid but if it was some random thing I found I would imagine it was a scam with a fake winner and then you pocket the earnings. The other thing I don't get is what if I put in $250 ... the odds for me to win should theoretically increase to 50% because I own half the stake ... BUT does your random email generator pick this or does it just select anyone no matter the contribution size even if its a transaction like one penny.

One other more personal question, I thought you had a white ipod video and hated it ... so why would you try and give one to other people?

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I know that it's not, but it sounds like some sort of internet scam. Maybe try and explain it a bit better for simple folk like me. :)

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ugg, why not just start another "million dollar pixel" website instead :rolleyes:

8. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Fun site... I can't believe this will actually get accomplished... but why not...lol

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's illegal in New York state...guarantee it. I've already looked into it and seen identical sites go down. Sorry.

10. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

The email script chooses an email address from a list, the donation value has nothing to do with it whatsoever. I did have a white iPod video, but I personally didn't like it - but I can't let my personal view interfere with what I want to give away.

ITASOR: Should it be shut down, all donations will be fully refunded :).

Because then all the money would go in my pocket, and I don't want it that way, I want it to benefit others - not myself.

I feel it will be, there's been other sites (Million Dollar Homepage) that have asked for more and they've been done - :).

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I would personally recommend that you do your due dilligence before continuing to accept donations ... several people have implied that this is probably not legal and even if it happened to be legal in the state you reside it would probably be a violation of your terms of service with your hosting company or isp. This is indepedant of any benevolance. I would just personally be worried that all of my private sites would go down with the one controversial site and from what I can tell you've put some hard work into the ohers so I wouldn't want to risk them.

... or perhaps you can relocate offshore

my opinions of something matter whether or not I give them as gifts or donate them or whatever ... I just think I like to give things I'd like to receive with thought and careful planning, but I guess we differ on this one.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hate to say it so plainly, but, if I were you I would shut it down right now. You don't want t deal with breaking a seriously enforced law in NYS, and have your hosting suspended permanently to boot.

I also don't understand the thing where, like, if I donated $250 I would have 50% of the share (someone mentioned it), because that's not really fair. If someone donates $150, and someone donates $0.01, they should not have an equal chance of winning. If they do, no one will donate anything more than a few dollars. You need to have more of a "$5/ticket" scheme (which is twice as illegal in NYS).

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

5th law of Budhism:

"Never make money in such a way that it hurts others."

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

on the same token, you could submit $350 and have a strong likelihood to win in a fair system ... and get an iPod for a $50 discount theoretically ... or $300 depending on your risk tolerance or $250

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

This is exactly why the idea just sounds wrong. I just don't see the point of the whole thing. :confused:

16. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

17. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Oof.. you stand to lose money when you get to $100 in 3 months and can't even begin to afford a video ipod, and people start to demand their money back....

18. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's not really sketchty, Larry is plenty trustworthy, I'd describe is as more of a "dumb" idea. Not "dumb" in the sense you probably think I mean though. I mean dumb as in, this could get you in a lot of trouble, a lot of people mad at you, lots of enemies, and there's nothing in it for you...there's no "good" site, other than if nothing goes wrong.

19. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I agree, seems like a not very thought out website.

20. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Well the final decision on wether to leave the site open or take it down will be made this weekend, and as stated should I close - all donations will be fully refunded.