new proof for altivec-equipped power4...?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by noht*, Aug 30, 2002.

1. noht* macrumors member

hope this hasn't been posted before, as it's already 4 days old news...

penguinppc, the official site of the linux-ppc port, has an interesting entry in their news log:

the site appears to be offline at the moment, so you'll have to use the google archive.

what do you think?

noht

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That may mean that IBM is ready to start supporting early development of the PowerPPC 4 to replace the low end of the RS/6000 workstation lines.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its all going to come down to the *announcement* in October by IBM - I really hope its something good for Apple.

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ooh, I'm getting that cool feeling inside when you know that within a year, Apple will be moping the floors with the x86 platform...

Apple's ready, We're ready, Now, it's time for IBM to put out some serious kick @$$ hardware...

5. noht* thread starter macrumors member

yeah, but so what?

afaik rs/6000 was a server line at ibm which was rebranded the pSeries some two years ago...but they did/do use ppc processors of various flavors.

what i see from this message is that this patch enables altivec support on the powerpc64 target of the linux64 build of gcc, so if you happen to have a 64-bit powerpc with altivec, try to compile it on your box.

anyway, this might be completly wrong, just trying to show my pov.

noht