New Protools Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by LES PAUL, Mar 4, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

May 2, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I want a ProTools system and I'm basically starting from scratch. I have a MacBook Pro 15 (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and an Apogee Duet that I'm currently using with Garageband. I want to switch to ProTools and my budget is approximately $2k to $3k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm a big fan of the M-Audio ProFire 2626 and Pro Tools M-Powered route. Although I haven't done the comparison myself, according to several people on, the 2626's mic pres AND A/D D/A conversion are better than what the Digi 003 has, even though it's a cheaper unit.

The only disadvantage to this route: M-Powered does not support the DV-Toolkit or the Complete Production Toolkit. It DOES support the Music Production Toolkit 1 & 2.

I've also found the best way to run a stable Pro Tools rig with this setup is the following: get an express card with Firewire 800 and a Glyph or Lacie Quadra drive with FW800 on it and use it with the card. Plug the 2626 into the FW port on the computer. Since doing this, I've had no crashes and no playback/recording problems.

A nice advantage to this set up is that all of the 2626's mic pres can be bypassed if you get better ones down the road. The ones on the 003 are not bypassable.
  3. macrumors member

Dec 27, 2009
    I'd probably be more inclined to go with a 003. I don't actually know anybody that uses M-Powered (and I know lots of people that use Pro Tools. They all have LE with 002s, 003s or mboxes). Then again, I've never really used M-Powered, so my opinion on the subject may not be worth very much.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2007
    It is exactly the same as LE except for the above mentioned entirely artificial limitation imposed by Digidesign.
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i suggest:

1. you post your hardware requirements, so that people can give you better suggestions, and
    2. you consider not spending some of that money on mics and room treatment, rather than all on an interface
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 2, 2009
    I apologize for not being very clear in my original post. I said I'm basically starting from scratch with gear and experience but what I meant to say was that I'm starting from scratch concerning recording hardware and software. I built a 24 x 24 room dedicated to music. It has been treated with acoustical foam/pads, bass traps, etc. I have a few "capable" mics, stands, etc. I have monitors, headphones and a nice production desk. I have a nice set of drums that I'd also like to mic.I started out with a Tascam 2488 but then moved to the Macbook Pro with the Apogee Duet. I want to record at least three instruments at the same time not including drums. Now knowing this, does anyone's advice change? I'm not making a case to spend money, I just want your expert advice. Again, thanks!!!!!
  7. macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2008
    If your looking to record bands etc down the line i would thoroughly suggest getting a Digi 003 and an Octopre The octopre has 8 preamps (quite good ones as well) and a digital out-via optical so you can get upto 16 inputs on your digi 003. (using the 8 analog, 8 digital)

Thats the system that i intend to get in a years time (approx) for recording bands etc etc. Along with a mixer as well. If your going to be doing heavy multi-tracking i would also suggest a decent external HDD- at least 7200RPM

8. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2010
    The first thing I would think about is, how many inputs/mic pre's do you need. If the answer is just one or two, then stick with the Duet because the converters in the apogee are far far far superior to any digidesign, whether that be an mbox or an 003 rack.

Next would be- Why pro tools? I don't mean that in a negative way. I mean, do you have friends or associates that have pro tools and you will be swapping tracks in each other's studios? Are you taking your tracks to a studio that only runs pro tools? Most studios nowadays run (at the very least) pro tools and Logic.

With a 2-$3000 budget, assuming you need more than two inputs I would do an Apogee Ensemble(approx$1800) with any other software. You will have an interface that is far superior to the 003 in every way imaginable AND you will have the freedom to use any software you like.