New PS3 XMB Video! Cool new features.

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlmightyG5, Sep 30, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

There is new PS3 XMB movie out...It looks prety sweet. Keyboard+mouse support. PSP Connection. Sweet friends list. Nice browser. The one thing that wasn't mentioned that Phil said in an OPM issue is how you can connect a USB HD if you want. So not only will my PS3 have 60 gb built in...I'll have an extra 250 with my external HD. I can put my whole dvd, iTunes, and iPhoto library on it! This is gunna rock.

Check it out:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=13649

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My iPod will work as a 60 GB HD then...when I get enough money for a PS3, someday :(

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just from the description alone it sounds like it's a huge improvement to what Microsoft deliver, the PS3 really is turning into a media centre.

Can't watch the vid. took about 5 minutes just to get to the end of the GT Trailers intro. ho hum. I wonder if the curse of the XMB will reappear in the PS3?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

USB hard drive support. Even less reason to get the 60gb version. The 20gb will be more than sufficient if your using external HD's. Cool.

Though I dont need a media center as I have 6 macs in my home so there's one in practically every room anyway.

5. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The link is of the HD version. at the bottom of the window, you can select the standard version wihcih is fatser.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

pretty cool. i cant wait. my PS2 is on its way out. it doesnt read GT4 anymore :(

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Some key points for those who haven't/cannot watch the trailer....

-The default background is similar to the PS2. Instead of blue glowing orbs, there is what looks to be like a stream of transparent blue liquid in the background. Think of a river.
    -The web browser does not have tabs, it does have separate windows to which you can tab over to, like reading a book. There's also an exposé like feature to select which window you want.
    -The functionality of the PS3 can be enhanced later on down the road, from screen-saver transition effects to just about anything else. It's like being able to have selective updates.
    -As previously reported, the menu structure is much like the PSP, which is very convenient and not so confusing.
    -Instant messaging looks to be done well. Instead of XBL where you send a message and the window closes, awaiting for a response, you can actually chat like any IM app.
    -USB Mouse/Keyboard support, though I wouldn't be surprised if a BT keyboard/mouse was available...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Cheers for that Oni. Again - sounds better than Xbox's GUI. I wonder what their reaction will be.

Do we know if we can plug in an HFS+ formatted iPod into the PS3 for custom soundtrack support. That would be a huge benefit.

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Good PS3 press?!? :eek: Me likes the idea of the ext HDD working properly. Means I wont be having to fiddle round with running MCE and whatnot :D Well, if I could afford one... :(

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

6 computers?! gotta have Appley goodness in sight at all times eh? ;)

I remember reading on Gamespit that Harrison was showing off the interface, but no video was to be taken. I take it this is that demo since he said "please don't take pictures" lol So why the didn't they talk about it more? It's fairly interesting stuff. The photo's on the floor thing seems very Apple-like to me

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damn Straight :D

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*rolllllllllllllllllllllllls my eyes* you crazy europeans ;)

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The external HD support is pretty cool but it still doesn't make me want to get the lower price point PS3. The reason for this being wi-fi support. I think 500 is a fair price for this system, but I don't like the idea that I can't upgrade to wireless internet internally without the 600 dollar system. Oh well, either I better start saving or they better lower the price in a year (with all the problems, there's no way i'm gettin first gen anyway).

14. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Err asked in my new thread earlier ;)

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's my pleasure. They should a screensaver/slideshow format of how all of your pictures get sorted by actual creation date (I'm assuming from the metadata) and look like their falling from the right side of the screen and into the middle as they fade left. It's very smooth and good looking. Very impressive. In fact I don't know if he did mention it because of how choppy the video was, but I think I can make out where he said it's inspired by OS X (though he calls it OS EX, BAH!)

17. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember eading about iPod support...idk where...

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good stuff...That TV is lovely it makes everything jump out at you. I wonder if linux is running that thing.

whats up with sony calling out MS on the 1080p thing...playground stuff right there sony.

Bless

19. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Nah its called 'Hood competition! Its gustsy & I like it. Too many corporations ***** foot around their corporate lawyers cautions.

> This system BEGS, just BEGS to fall off the shipment TRUCK!;) I'm seriously hoping for it. I'd buy the games but at $679.99+14% Tax here in Ontario, its just TOO much. I'm actually glad its this expensive though ... I'm getting really close to purchase a MacBook Pro (refurbished) or the base model Mac Pro Dual 2.66Ghz. So until mid next year, Java (J2ME) games on my SE W810 will do me JUST fine.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

actually its 659.99 cdn ;) not that 20 bucks will make or break the deal or anything lol

21. coal macrumors regular

coal

I haven't been able to find confirmation that the PS3 can write to external USB hard drives. Will it accept various video formats et cetera? Do you have a link?

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

mine doesn't either, and i dont want to buy another PS2

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm wondering if GT4 will work on ps3. Reason ? Well seeing as the game supports HD 1080i even on ps2, if someone can just buy or play this via backwards compatability, that would really hit GT HD sales as essentially its the exact same game. It would maybe hurt sales of that too, so maybe GT4 will be artificially 'locked out' or 'crippled' in order to guarantee sales for GT HD...

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

aren't they imporving the graphics a little in GT HD? Not to mention it does have kind of a sample of GT5 in it doesnt it?