New PSP coming out in 2007

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17082

Some new rumoured features include-

My own take on this-
    Firstly. If you take a PSP (£200) and add 8gb of flash memory (an extra £200, normally) and try selling it to make as little loss as possible... then stick a camera (2 megapixel?), plus tack on the R&D to produce a small product. Looks like you'll either be able to buy a PS3 or new PSP come 2007.
    Sony want the PSP to suceed they need to open up homebrew and simply increase security on UMD games.
    your take?

2. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Sony need to stop restricting users! They've finally stopped that ATRAC malarky and are (are they?) stopping UMD Movies...make it worthwhile to the consumer. Bar that, buy a DS?

3. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I'll be buying it simply for whatever gorgeous Lumines they stick on there. And because I got my PSP stolen and don't want to buy another one to replace it because then the thief will have won. :confused:

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I read this..look at the specs and said WOW. Either Sony is going to take a HUGE loss to over power the DS with a Super PSP, or its going to cost a TON. However 8Gb Built in is nice, because you can save games, and store a good amount of Songs..also the picture of it is ugly..and it looks like it has 2 joy "nubs"

A pictures of the new PSP from engadget..the picture is also from Playstation Magizine..hopefully a photoshop http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/30/aqua_openoffice_goes_public/

Attached Files:

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I sold my PSP probably 6 month ago, just never used it. I loved the device and how the games and movies looked. Some of the games that are coming out now are finally starting to interest me. I would consider getting another if it had built in memory, but I would want about the same pricing. I would not pay $400 for a portable gaming system. 8 gigs would be a good amount, allowing for a lot of tv episodes to be loaded.

We'll just have to wait and see.

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Nasty nasty. This has to be fake. I can't see them going for the Sega Game Gear look.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A new PSP?

I vote for it having a second screen that's touch sensitive, a motion sensor and being available in pink!

Meh!!

Sony strikes me as being a company that in terminal decline.

8. harveypooka macrumors 65816

The PS3 will rule us all! The Cell is the first step to SkyNet.

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

If they just dropped the price by about €50 on the current PSP it would sell like hot cakes I'm sure of it.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But who sells Hot Cakes ? (sorry I just love that expression)..

Yeah a price cut would do more benefit than a new model. Drop the price to match the DS - then it will sell.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Yeah they'd sell alright. They'll be straight on eBay after about a month when the owners realise that there still isn't one compelling reason for owning a PSP about from it looking "all pretty and shiny."

The PSP has died on it's arse. UMD has died on it's arse. I'm telling you, Sony are a company in terminal decline.

12. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

It is! Well.. soon.

Sony have confirmed they are releasing a special edition Pink PSP in collabo. with guess who? P!NK!

I love her, shes brilliant, but the idea of having a PSP endorsed by her is a bit tacky.

It comes in pink (obv.) with some special engraving, and pre-loaded songs and videos.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Loco Rocco - pure brilliance
    Ulitmate Ghost & Goblins - arcade platform greatness
    Lumines - mind bending nextgen tetris puzzler

There's 3 compelling reasons in my book.

I got my psp in December 04, and admit it hasnt been till last couple of months some really good games have emerged.

UMD movies was always doomed.. A format that costs the same as DVD, but could only be watched on a device which lasts about 2.5/3 hours when accessing the UMD constantly? Almost as useless as movies on an ipod in my opinion...

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I just can't see any use for a camera in the PSP. You can't do EyeToy type things because you have to hold the PSP. Maybe video chats, but you're not always in range of WiFi networks- it's supposed to be for MOBILE gaming.

I guess just for non-gaming purposes, like taking pictures...or putting your face in the game.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You've kind of proven my point! In two years all you list are three games (I would add Everybody's Golf to the list, as it was the only game that I enjoyed) but all of them could be released on any platform and already have in the case of G&G's and Everybody's Golf and GTA and Burnout and Tekken...

Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful piece of hardware - powerful and a gorgeous screen - but hampered by noisy and slow loading times, but there is nothing revolutionary or "new" to the games on the PSP.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Loco Roco and Lumines were new IP's... But yeah I do agree with you, there has been very little up to this point to persuade people to part with the $$$

My DS gets far more attention than my PSP.

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I remember just before the DS and PSP were going to come out. On paper, the PSP was miles ahead and everyone was talking about it. However, Nintendo fought back with a shedload of great software for its far less powerful system, which is winning the battle for Nintendo. If Sony doesn't get more decent software out, this new PSP will also be a waste of space.

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

A gaming system is never about features, it's about how those features can enhance gameplay, but if the core stuff isn't solid to begin with then it's nothing more than tacked on tripe.

A HDD would fall under a gameplay enhancing addition. but then you have to balance out the cost (8gb of flash memory? jeeeeez).

IMO, Sony should just remove the UMD drive and have the PSP as a super expensive controller for the PS3. internal HDD stores downloaded games (PS1 games too). cutting out the UMD drive would shave a bit of money off hopefully keeping the price of the system as it currently is. but then that would be Sony admitting defeat for its poor UMD, and we all know that doesn't happen. SACD sticker on PS3? Minidisc still going despite overwhelming favour to MP3? etc.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Are you joking? Removing the UMD drive means it won't be able to play PSP games...

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats true, which would mean it would ne a PSP2, not really a minor update. Also UMDs hold 1.8GBs, so the Flash memory would only hold 5 games(if the games use all the space, which i'm sure not all of the do, but the point is it would not be able to hold enought games)

21. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

What's the storage capacity of a minidisc? I can't see how it would make better financial sense to invent a whole new drive (UMD) than to tweak an old one.

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. Maybe my idea is a little too radical. but a PSP with a TV resolution (640*480) thats more aimed to being a portable PS1 with downloadable games and controller features for the PS3, AND be cheaper than the current PSP. I really would be that right now, or rather I'll shed a virtual tear that my dream machine will never happen.

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You would still complain that it didnt have the word "Nintendo" on it...

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oooh... harsh... :D

25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

What a ******.

Did the PS1 have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Mega Drive have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Commodore Amiga have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Spectrum have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Does the GP2X have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Dreamcast have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Neo Geo have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Master System have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Does my PC have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the Game Gear have the Nintendo logo on it?
    Did the lack of Nintendo logo make me not have, love and prefer many of them systems to my Nintendo ones? no.

If you're going to troll, firstly try and research the people you are trolling to. You get no marks out of 10.