New PSP Coming Second Half 2006?

Discussion in 'Games' started by finalcoolman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Looks like it may. With the Nintendo DS Lite, Sony has to spruce up the PSP. Plus with the iPod Video, the only problem with the PSP competing is lack of storage capicity:

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&q=PSP+NAND

If this is true the and they are able to keep the price the same the PSP will become the "killer" product Sony has been after.

I mean I do not see why the price won't stay the same, the PSP will be almost two years old, certaintly time to "update" the PSP as Apple does with it's offerings.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I see nothing wrong with the PSP now(maybe another nob) it's already nice but hey who am I to tell them...go on sony do ya thang.

Bless

3. finalcoolman thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe so, and I'm sure people saw nothing wrong with the colour iPod before it was updated to iPod Video for the same price with MORE capaicity on the low end. So I totay believe these reports because what $300 purchased in early 2005 should purchase alot more in the holiday season of 2006 meaning 8GB of flash memory.

4. yellow5 macrumors regular

But 8GB of flash memory ain't got **** on 30GB or 60GB which the iPod has.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, but flash memory uses a LOT less power than the hard drive in a 30 or 60 GB iPod.

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I don't really understand this. From what I gather, Sony just purchased (or is attempting to purchase) a ton of flash memory from Samsung, and now everybody is automatically assuming it will be for the PSP. Remember, Sony makes other devices too, like digital cameras and portable audio players that this flash memory could potentially be used for. Plus, Sony isn't really known for updating its consoles until they've been out for a few years, unlike Nintendo, which likes to spruce up their devices fairly often.

That said, I currently own a PSP and am very happy with it. Other than the terrible selection of games, it's a great device. Emulators are awesome! :cool:

7. jrk07 macrumors regular

How about they concentrate on pumping out GOOD GAMES for it. I have had mine since launch and bought 3 games (lumines, wipeout, metal gear acid) at launch, and only have 2 more games (x-men legends, twisted metal) since they were given to me as birthday/xmas gifts. I also purchased a 1gb memory stick last summer, and the novelty of putting videos on it wore off really quick. I also fooled around with emulators, but quickly became bored with taht. It is honestly the biggest let down I have ever had with a video game system since I was really looking forward to it. I enjoyed Metal Gear Acid for a bit because I love turn based strategy games, then got bored towards the end. Lumines is one of the best puzzle games I've played, but still doesn't warrant the $$$ it costs for the damn system.

My DS on the other hand, I got for xmas bundled with mario kart ds and got castlevania. Those two games alone warrant a DS purchase if you ask me.

Anyways, my point is, they need to focus on software before they go and change the system.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No amount of NAND memory is going to make it a better machine, they need the games. but seriously...

The PSP already costs too much now, how about with an 8gb flash card stuck in there? £300 for a PSP? I seriously think not. They're losing money on the PSP now. they could not charge a penny less and hope to make profit.

8gb in a PSP? I severely doubt it. 8gb 3rd party devices? that will happen.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Remember, nobody buys sony MP3 players and they ship like 8mb starter cards with cameras.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PSP is a good system....stop hating. There are some good games out there but I don't see this 8gig anytime soon. Sony might make a 8gig card and sell it as a bundle but i don't think they will go any higher pricewise because $250 is already too much for a handheld even though the PSP is the swiss knife of the handhelds.

Bless

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I prefer "Jack of all trades". In that all the features lack somewhat.

Music; fails in that its on par with cheap MP3 players
    Web Browser; not at all compatible, d-pad typing is hard as nails
    Video; not exactly meant for average joe to use. Unless your using overpriced UMDs
    Photos; Unless you have a Sony camera or a non-Sony Memory Stick using camera (are there any?) then your stuck.

The lack of an SD/MMC or even a CF slot on a 'swiss army knife' handheld machine is very disturbing, and a little oxymoron too.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ha ha always make me laugh with the PSP/Sony hating here. There are programs out there to make all of your PSP needs a breeze. We all know even sony know the browser suck....you have a option though its not like you are stuck with it. Nothing is wrong with the D-pad.

All those things you pointed out is what you do not like about the system so the "Jack of all trades" is yours. Others are using there PSP without a problem but hey everyone has problems with something....right.

Bless

13. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

True. Do you think the memory could be used for new 8GB Memory Sticks? Sony loves to make money off of stupid proprietary formats. I doubt they'd sell the PSP with built-in memory.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think the 8gb camera memory is a rock solid idea though. Or perhaps...

PS3 memory card anyone? stick the memory chips in Sony's own 'shell' and BAM. you have a huge memory card there.
    Anyone else feeling that?

15. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I just got one for xmas, I'll be pissed if they release a new one.:( So is it a sure thing that there will be a new PSP? Cause a lot of the articles are stating that there will be a new version.

16. 50thVert macrumors regular

Glad i waited and didnt buy into the hype if a new one is coming.

17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Not as much as I laugh at the fact that I've purchased nineteen PSPs - all of them with dead / stuck pixels and massive amounts of screen bubbles (defects in the plastic).

The prices don't make it any better - especially the UMDs. Baha UMDs. Who buys those things?

Of course, I've gone through three DS units so far. One with a stuck pixel, one with a dead pixel and all with the 'vibrating' screen issue.

They're both crappy as far as quality control is concerned. I'm looking forward to a new DS and PSP. I hope to Jesus of the Christ that they release a 'clamshell' PSP.

18. iShane macrumors 6502a

I think that the big problem with the PSP is the game selection. I mean I'm already (somewhat) bored of my PSP for I'm really interested in Racing/Car games and they only have what? 2 or 3 of them? If they had more games I think I and a lot of other people would be happier.

19. finalcoolman thread starter macrumors 6502

What PISSES me off is what I see everywhere. When Sony does this or that improvement to the PSP, people complain and shout WHERE ARE THE GAMES Sony. Get this in your thick skull. Sony DOES NOT make games except for a limited first party selection. So you want thousands fo games like the PS2 complain to the developers NOT Sony, because in the entire PS2 catalog there isn't even more than 50 games made by Sony after five years.

20. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I hope this rumor is false, because if it were true, I would be forced to buy a new PSP.
    Also, they would probably make it un-hackable somehow from within the hardware.

21. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If they want to boost PSP sales they should drop the retail price to that of the DS and then maybe they will do well...

SHadow

22. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

that would be hot. I would love to get another PSP. I got 1Gb in mine. thinking of getting the maxtor 4GB unit.

PSP is one of my favorite inventions ever. does everything I ever wanted a portible unit to do. :)

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They would sell like hot cakes if they did.

That and if developers did get out some more games. If it could compete with the DS in its own fields (price and games) then the PSP will certainly become a more popular device.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If Sony could sell the PSP for $150 it would probably sell like nuts. They could probably do it too, just take out all the extras and sell the PSP standalone at a loss...don't tell people they need to buy a memory card ;)

I know the PSP standalone is $200 in Japan.

Don't know how long it will be until Sony can reasonably sell it at $150 without losing tons of money.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The fact is that Sony is still responsible for the system. If there aren't any good games, it's up to them to either:
    A) Make them
    or more likely
    B) Secure contracts with a second or third party and get THEM to make exclusive games

The same way Sony got Square Enix making games exclusively for PS2. Unfortunately for Sony SE is mostly making DS games at this point. But if Sony is failing to have good games on their platform, they have to go out and get developers to make them. Otherwise, they're letting their platform die. They seem to be more interested in UMD's than games.