new 'puter...what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jvaska, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. jvaska macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2002
    Location:
    Haiti/NYC
    #1
    honestly...i'm more than ready to buy a new g5 now...

    however...i don't want to buy a first generation g5 and i don't want to wait to make a purchase until february/march/later to buy something...

    i'm thinking of just getting an emac...and then hooking it up to my old g4 (which would become a storage device basically - but still kicks ass)...and also hooking up a second monitor...

    the difference between the two is $1200 bucks...i can't decide if this is money well spent/saved at this point...

    anybody else have this type of setup? anybody doing lots of web dev and print stuff on their emacs? i am a designer of many years but i do vid projects probably once every two years - i don't need a mega power machine...

    then...at some point next year i'll sport for the g5...my girlfriend needs to oust the pc out the door too so the emac will have a happy home...

    ????

    v
     
  2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

    LimeLite

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Los Angeles, Ca
    #2
    Well, as far as getting a new COMputer ( :D ) goes, have you thought about getting one of the dual 1.25 G4's? They are also far less than a G5 but with very good bang for the buck. Also, as far as getting a first rev G5, I was worried about that too, but I haven't really heard many complaints about them as of yet.
     
  3. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2002
    Location:
    Haiti/NYC
    #3
    well...the thing about first rev g5's...

    we didn't hear many complaints about first rev g4's...until after awhile...i have one...it's a great machine (5 years of VERY sold graphic design/web dev output)...but it's got some issues...

    yeah...does buying a g4 make sense anymore? even a dual...i mean...64bit is here...which is why i'm thinking of something pretty temporary...

    argh...i feel like i've been waiting for two years for this g5...and now i haven't woken up to the dream yet...i'm not sure what to do really...

    v
     
  4. agreenster macrumors 68000

    agreenster

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2001
    Location:
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    #4
    Apple has spent a painstakingly long time releasing the G5 and it seems has really dotted their 'i's' and crossed their 't's.' When the G4 came out, it honestly wasnt much more than adding altivec to the G3 procesor, and re-packaging it as a G4. This G5 is (in my opinion) much more thought out, and designed from the ground up. I think the first version will probably be less buggy than what we have seen in the past.

    Besides, not all revisions are good. I got the RevB 550 mHz TiBook which always had the reputation of being slower than RevA.

    Im not telling ya what to do, but I wouldn't NOT get the Rev A G5 because you fear it will be buggy.
     
  5. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2002
    Location:
    Haiti/NYC
    #5
    thanks...

    now...i'm thinking a tibook possibly...which is the same price as a g5...i haven't had a laptop in years, but living in europe now has made it something i guess i should consider...

    by the end of 2004 i'm sure i'll have both...heh...v
     
  6. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    #6
    Yeah, a littel Ti 12¨ is a good option, with a second monitor, and remember that you CANNOT use an eMac for Dual display. They only support video mirroring. If you are about to buy an eMac, it makes alot of sense to buy a tower G4, for sure.
     
  7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

    irmongoose

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2001
    Location:
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    #7
    The first revision G5 will have problems. Apple will get them fixed with the second revision.



    irmongoose
     
  8. wms121 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2003
    #8
    buy a "used mac"

    or even a reconditioned one.

    The price falling has slowed down and you can still get on and
    off the net without too much problem.

    G5's need REAL 64 bit software and that won't happen till later in
    2004 (we hope).

    I had an old Performa 5215L and it ran ok until OS 8 came out.
    I can still use up to 7.5.5 on it and it works ok on most web sites.

    Try the Macs at Kinko's and see if they can do your graphics work.

    It's preferrable to invest a lot in various software titles than to get bogged down in fixed hardware issues.

    Try learning Linux.

    <--learning Jinux
     
  9. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

    LimeLite

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Los Angeles, Ca
    #9
    A Ti 12"? I think both of you mean Alu, because (unless I'm having memory issues) the 12" and 17" were introduced as Alu and never saw the Ti. And I don't know of any Ti that would cost as much as a G5, because the newest TiBook would be close to a year old.
     

Share This Page