New quadcore iMac With Mbox Pro 2 FireWire Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Flyin Ryan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Flyin Ryan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got the new 21.5" iMac and I have the Mbox pro 2. Would one of these 9 pin to 6 pin firewire adapters work? And also, which version of Pro Tools is needed? I currently have 7.3. If I download PT8 will that include all the needed CoreAudio drivers? Thanks!!

2. teleromeo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I googled an image of the said mbox and as far as I can see all you need is a simple firewire 800 to 400 adapter. Costs less than 10 euro/dollar. If you have an external firewire400/800 drive maybe there is a way to connect to that drive instead.

3. Fishrrman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

"I just got the new 21.5" iMac and I have the Mbox pro 2. Would one of these 9 pin to 6 pin firewire adapters work? And also, which version of Pro Tools is needed? I currently have 7.3. If I download PT8 will that include all the needed CoreAudio drivers"

Go here:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10301
    ...and scroll down to 9-6 pin cables.
    This is what you need.

Can't help with which version of ProTools is needed (I'm not a PT user). But other DAW apps should work, as well, such as GarageBand, etc.

To my knowledge, the "CORE Audio drivers" are a part of the Mac OS software. The beauty of this is that firewire devices that are "CORE audio compliant" don't need driver software -- you just plug them in and the Mac should recognize their presence automatically. It's been that way with both the Presonus Firebox and the Echo AudioFire8 that I've used -- just plug them in, and they "show up" immediately in "AudioMIDI Setup" and are accessible to my DAW apps.

Having said that, it's _possible_ that the Mbox Pro needs its own drivers. But if it's CORE Audio compliant, doesn't it "show up" as is?

4. Flyin Ryan
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I actually do only use logic. I installed pro tools 8 and that included the coreaudio drivers. I supposed I could've selected only the drivers to install but I wanted to be sure. The true test will be when I receive the cable and connect the hardware. I really appreciate the responses.

I'm going to look into an external hard drive first though. That's the route I shouldve gone on my MBP anyway instead of filling my 120gb hd with projects.