New Radeon Cards Coming to Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, Aug 5, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Well, our friends at MOSR are BACK, and this time, with less far-fetched rumors. They almost seem informed now!

"It's been the subject of rumors before, but this time we're getting word from both Apple and ATi that a new agreement has just been signed regarding this.

Following the exclusive use of nVIDIA's GeForce FX 6800 DDL graphics card for powering its amazing 30-inch display, Apple came to the table with ATi from a position of power. ATi was willing to play ball, and both parties came out happy; the Radeon X800 and at least two different professional FireGL cards will be offered with existing PowerMacs later this year -- and will be standard on some of the new models in February."

Sounds good to me...

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I wonder if the price of the X800 will be similar to the 6800... :confused:

If it's 100 bucks cheaper, maybe it's worth waiting for. But then again, I can almost bed my firstborn that it will only be a CTO/BTO option. I doubt they start to sell the X800 retail at the same time... Took them over a year from the original release of the 9800 to release a retail 9800 for the G5 (special edition- the only one which doens't require jimmy rigging in a G5)

3. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The PC version sells for $449, so I bet the Mac version would sell for $499. I see no reason why they wouldn't sell it as a retail card...

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

No doubt...

But, it's not gonna happen for some time (like 6mo-1yr) AFTER the BTO version is avaliable IMHO.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Let's hope for some PCI-Express and strike gold!

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hmm.... possibly PCI-Express only ?
    Therefore only compatible with next-gen G5.... :rolleyes: