Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Hello,
Today I tried to install a new 256mb ram chip into my g4 ibook. The specs of the chip are:

Corsair 256mb 200-pin 333mhz DDR SO-DIMM

When I installed the chip and turned on the computer, it started to boot but then the screen darkened and came up with the "you need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button..." dialog. I tried 3 times.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I took the new chip out and now it acts fine again. Is this the correct chip? Am I putting it in wrong?

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
It may just be a bad stick of RAM. I don't know if it's a compatibility issue, check Apple's site. If it is bad RAM, call the company and usually they'll replace it with no hassle.

Good luck,
JOD8FY

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Well, you could try running the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer to see if it picks up anything. I've never used it, but if you have to boot from it, just hold down the "c" key as the computer is booting up.

JOD8FY

Melvin Furd

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Somewhere in the World
It's probably the ram. When I had my Ibook, I tried putting in new ram twice , both times I ran into the same problem you did. When I put back my old ram it worked. OSX is selective on the RAM

thom1301

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2004
Minneapolis
I noticed you said it was 333 speed, but everywhere I've looked, the iBook calls for 266. Is that a problem, or is having the faster memory okay?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Here are the complete specs for a new iBooks RAM requirements.

DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 or 3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • DDR266 • 2.5V

Most of the time you can run faster RAM without issue but this is not always the case.

If you want to know everything Apple publishes about the RAM requirements on your iBook follow this link.

http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001480-CH208-TPXREF102

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Thanks for the info, MacBandit. That's helpful. By all accounts, the chip should work in my machine.
I guess i must conclude that it's a faulty chip/picky OS issue. Bummer, 'cause I really don't have the cash to go out and purchase one and seeing as this chip isn't brand new, there's no way we could get it mfr. replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.