New RAM Fiasco!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoid, Jun 2, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

So I finally ordered 2x512MB generic RAM chips for my PowerBook. I got the generic over the Apple recommended RAM because it was a savings of over $30 and I'm a poor college student. Anyway, I installed it today and the computer boots up fine and runs fine, but I got my first, and second, and eventually third kernel panic since I got the computer last September or whenever it was that they were announced. OK, so I run the Apple Hardware Test. Nothing. It says it's all okie-dokie inside. I know that its not. How can I find out if the RAM chips are faulty or incompatible?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Duh...

Take out one ram chip. Start it up and run it. Switch chips. Repeat step 2. Return faulty one.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

OH-MAH-GAH!! Yes, that is a DUH! I'll try that now!

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

It does seem to be one chip that is bad whereas the other chip functions great! Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know how long it would have taken me to remember to try that. :eek: :rolleyes:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Crappy memory sucks dont it? Thank God i have never experienced it :eek: Oh Yah!

6. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I'm going to be going out of town to work on a massive video project in on the 10th of June (about a week). Is it likely that I'll be able to get a replacement chip in time?