New Record: Most Users Online!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rower_CPU, May 6, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, well. Our little community has grown quite a bit. The previous record of 250 some odd people online has been eclipsed today, and by quite a long shot.

332 is the new record. Any bets on how many for MWNY? I'm taking 500...I'm an optimist. :D

It seems WWDC isn't as lame as some seem to think. ;)

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Shows how STARVED we've been for new info and goodies! Of course, any day Steve takes the stage is guaranteed to generate interest!

(and, of course, shows how popular MacRumors is!)

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I think is because of the women/macs threads going on:D

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

wow is this board running on more than one database somehow? the vBulletin board i mod dies out at about 100 users

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

If I am not mistaken, I was the first one to bring up the theory of the most visitors (the day before WWDC). My question was who the servers would deal with it.

Well, were the servers busy? I know I was. :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The server held up for the most part...

There is an auto-lockout in vBulletin where it will stop serving pages once server load exceeds a set value. This prevents a downward spiral if traffic gets too high.

If any of you remember back at MWSF 02... the server crashed a few times... part of this was that the main page was dynamically generated at that time... It's now a static page, updated every 5 mins or so. This helps to reduce server load.

Dukestreet asked a question in the other thread regarding the server load. I don't expect the increased load will necessarily sustatin over the days... so things should be pretty much the same.

MWNY, however... will likely test the limits.

arn

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I got an error a couple of times, but I'm glad it didn't crash.

Now if we don't see a G5 before MWNY, with the rate the site membership is growing, we'll probably see that 500 users online at the time of the KeyNote.

Where do I go to get online for my seat?

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

how do you get it to go to over 100 users? is there some 'throttle' on the mysql db that you can open up?

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I never got the Message of death today :p
    I think it is all because of Cleo saying that she would take Angelina Jolie over a G5 :D

I am still waiting for the response on that.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no special config used

arn

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you can definitely have mine (as though you wouldn't get one ahead of me... ha) cause i'll be there! well, not for the keynote, but still..... ha

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Bastard! Ooh, I'll be jealous, that's for sure. Take some pics and make sure you post them, that would be very cool. Would you take requests? If I was curious about a particular booth could you snap one up for me. It might be tricky.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

right after i posted that i realized something... macworld being in the middle of the week might screw me over. as of now i don't have a job for the summer, but assuming i get one, i'll have to work a little bit harder to get there this year... i'll be in PA rather than nyc so it might be tough.

however, i will do my best to get there, that's for sure. and as far as the pics, sure, i'd be happy to take em. we (me and my bros) got my dad a 5 MP camera (i forget exactly which one... ahh) for christmas and so i'd just snag that from him and take a hefty amount of pictures.

usually i focus on a few areas/booths. obviously apple's main area. then things like maya (as of last year of course), combustion, adobe (if they come..), some games, studio artist (great app), zbrush (it's amazing what they show you can do with it, but when you try it yourself, it's not all that good), etc...

anyhoo, as the time winds down i'll know more and let you know. which booths/areas you most intersted in? i assume 3D and other graphics areas....?

14. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I hope the server doesn't die durin MWNY.

What kind of connection is it on?

Ensign

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, the Newtek one would be cool, but I'll have to look at the exhibitor list to get a better idea. If Bungie is there with a Halo for the Mac demo, that would be key. We've got plenty of time, we'll discuss this when time gets closer.

Thanks.