New Red Steel video - game looks better than I thought

Discussion in 'Games' started by zero2dash, Nov 10, 2006.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_redsteel_deadlyfirearms_gp_gt.mov
    (a direct link to the vid)

I just saw a link to this vid on WiiFanboy (I go there in addition to Joystiq, not because I'm a fanboy per se but because I'm primarily looking for Wii news) and before I watched the video, I was considering just renting Red Steel, but now - I'm considering buying it. It looks pretty good in the video...in terms of gameplay and whatnot. (The graphics are good too, don't get me wrong...but I'm saying "good" in the gameplay sense.) I can see where the reticule box is large and the problem with slower moving/turning because of it, but overall the game looks pretty enjoyable.

What about everyone else?
    Anyone buying? Renting? Neither/undecided?

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

After all the negative press, I'm probably going to rent it at first to see how it plays.

What I don't understand is, correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't it be fairly easy to make an option to set the reticule box as either "large" or "small"? Why don't they just do that?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Still not impressed. I really don't know what is it about this game but its not doing it for me. I guess I'll try it out when I see it in EB/gamestop.

Bless

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your not the only one. This one really does reak of generic FPS with Maken X blade fighting all with a reportedly clucky control system. (thats what all the previews say, its controls are not good compared to M3:corruption)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You know what be nice. If sites like GT had their little credits at the end only. I waited 4 minutes to get past the first splash video. Waste of bandwidth. Regardless. I'm after Red Steel just to see how FPS can be handled with the Wii controller, to see the next step up in console FPS. Everything else aside, story music graphics etc, I want to know how it works.

Like in that trailer, it says swing the nunchuck controller down to pick up another weapon. Now that sounds smart.

6. belovedmonster macrumors regular

That video only went to highlight the clunky control for me. Did you see how slow it was at certain times? Like it seems to take an absolute age to look up higher on the steps.

And the whole arm thing looks weird to me when he points his gun to anything on the right hand side of the screen, cos rather than move his arm he just turns his wrist back on itself in a way that looks really stupid. Has no one else noticed this? It bugs me so much when I see it.

Im surprised to hear the bad guys using swear words though. Gamespot asked them why didnt have any blood in the game if its called "Red"steel and they basically said that the game is aimed at younger kids who cant buy gory games.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What dissapoints me about it, is when I first saw it I though the animation looked very good, but after watching that entire thing it seems to have been dramatically dumbed down, to the point of it just looking clunky.

The enemys stood ontop of one each other in one section of that video, but clunky AI & collision detection.

And whilst the shake controller seems interesting in concept, by the looks of the arm reticule there are times it looks like your character is having an epelptic fit with the hand/arm jerking all over...

Seriously usually games get more impressive from when they first start showing them, the first batch of screenshots, the sneaked videos at E3 - all really promising.

The reality though seems to be a murkey, low textured grey & brown universe with generic and 2001 splashed all over it...

Maybe the wii controller can save it from being an utter turkey, but going on the previews tests I aint holding my breath.

Launch title averageness written all over it. Give me Metroid 3 : Corruption for a proper wii remote FPS.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

On top of it being rather, I dunno, bland? The guy playing sucked. I want to see more of CoD3!

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wonder how Farcry Wii is getting on? That might be a better FPS example. God knows I loved the first PC FarCry.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Me? WW2 shooter? With my reputation?

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but you can shake Nazis off your ass with the wii remote, got to be worth a go... :D

Mind you if you want to shake nazis off your ass, you could just pop into a BNP meeting in Oldham :D

---

I was more just pointing out there's more choices people have for a FPS. ;)

Strange that we havent seen much of Far Cry on Wii for a long while though...

13. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Ask and ye's shall receive. :D
    IGN CoD3 Wii footage vids
    IGN Far Cry Vengeance Wii footage vid

I haven't looked at these CoD3 vids yet (going to now) but I was planning on buying CoD3 as a first Wii FPS (until M3:Corruption) because CoD is always a safe bet. Every one of them has been great IMO thus far...

14. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

After watching the Gametrailers.com review of Gears of War, that Red Steel video just looks a bit *yawn*.

15. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I don't want to see anymore of it unless its massively improved graphically. Graphics aren't much of an issue with me but that thing is fugly by and standards.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks for them... IGN insider 640 vids here i come :D

17. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(On the free vid side :))
    CoD3 looks pretty good. Like I said, I planned all along on that one as a first priority FPS buy since the CoD series always delivers. Looks like they'll continue that trend with CoD3 on the Wii.