New refurb prices on MacBooks starting at $899

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mini.boss, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mini.boss macrumors member

C2D is nice, but whats nicer is watching those plain old CoreDuo macs go down in price at Apple refurb. Dont be a sucker for marketing. If you're buying a "consumer level" system then you'll benefit more from memory than Core2Duo.

(I cant seem to link it right. Just go to store.apple.com and click on the red pricetag on the left middle of the page.)

MacBook:

MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White
    $899.00
    MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
    $999.00
    MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - Black
    $1099.00
    <-- Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Considering I just got a blackbook for $1499 then I'm alot more saddened by the refurb price than the C2D introduction. But regardless, the latest macbooks seem to be problem free. I cruise at 20-45C with no shutdowns.

And here's the bargain pro prices.

MacBook Pro:
    MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 1.83GHz Intel Core
    $1,399.00
    MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core
    $1449.00

2. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Considering the VERY reasonable price point of the C2D MacBook, I can't imagine why you'd really want to buy a refurb CD? It's a far better machine, and a processor which will more aptly run Leopard when it arrives. It would be one thing if we were talking about thousands of dollars, but in computer land, you absolutely get what you pay for. Sure, you might get a perfectly functional and problem-free refurb, but remember it's a refurb for a reason... somebody returned it because it (a) didn't work, or (b) wasn't up to their standards. Why tempt fate for a few hundred dollars?

3. AndyM macrumors member

I bet you wont notice the difference between running 10.5 on a CD and C2D.

Also some people may not be able to afford a laptop as obviousally you can. Some people best chance of getting a macbook is a refurb.

4. phuong macrumors 6502a

the refub prices on Canadian store hasn't changed yet..:(

yes, the price point of the C2D is very reasonable, but i dont really need the extra power of it so im not gonna waste a few hundred bucks on something i'll never use.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And it probably not noticeably slower for most usage, most of that performance boost is the extra RAM.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I've never had any problems with refurbs. In fact, you're probably less likely to get a problem ridden lappy buying refurb than buying new, because it's gone through a second QC and any problems it did have were fixed.

And I agree with the OP: if you're buying a consumer level machine, then chances are, your needs aren't that great. If that's the case, the CDs are EXCELLENT machines.. so why wouldn't you save $400? Put it towards a second battery, more ram, case, external monitor..whatever!

At any rate, I'm *so* glad I sold my blackbook last week. I got $1850 shipped for it.. imagine the difference if I was selling today instead!!

7. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

I didn't mean to suggest the CD MB isn't a worthwhile machine, and certainly if your budget is restricted it's a wonderful notebook. I just meant all things being equal, if they money were available for either one, I think the updgrade is certainly worth the extra bucks.

Truth is that there's very little even in the "Pro" realm that a Core Duo MB can't handle. But that doesn't mean there isn't a performance boost. A faster processor means faster performance - it's just a fact. Sure, it's negligible in Safari or Mail, but if you use your notebook for Photoshop or other high-end Apps, the difference is finite. You can time it out yourself if you want. Get the Real World Photoshop test and run it on both machines - there's a real difference.

I'm sure this is true for most people - Apple wouldn't sell poorly running machines knowingly the second time around. I just mean to say that in general, buying used/refurb/second hand is just that - used or second hand. It might not necessarlily be any better or worse than a brand new machine, but I've always been a proponent of buying new when you can afford it. At least when it comes to highly technical and sensitive things (electronics, cars, etc). I think it's fair to say that on the whole you'll end up with a better product. Of course there are exceptions, but as a general rule.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which was my point, most people don't use Photoshop etc. I'm sure for those that use those programs the extra speed is worth it.

9. mini.boss thread starter macrumors member

Several reasons why you're a bit off with your view on refurbs:

1) NEW? Not everything sold in the refurb store is a refurb. At the end of a product cycle then Apple tosses their excess inventory out there so theres a chance to get a "new" one.

2) Refurbs are good. Even if you get a refurb its one, unlike a new one, these have been thoroughly tested by Apple. Its not often but many times people end up with extras like memory and HDD upgrades.

3) Switchers. MANY people avoid apple because of the price. And to switchers then even apple's intel "bargain' prices are a bit high. These prices are easily low enough to entice EVERYONE. You may be rich, but a majority of the world isnt.

4) Apple care. How many people don't buy this because its tough to justify the cost. Well, $250 Apple Care and a refurb still leaves you $150 for groceries. (or how about a refurb ipod? Check out those prices too!)

5) Post-purchase upgrades. $400 is nothing to sneeze at. Apple care costs $250. 2GB (2x1GB) costs $200. 160GB SATA HDD costs you $160. $70 extra battery. There are a ton of upgrades or extra costs that can easily put your purchase beyond your means.

Obviously this deal isnt meant for you. But to those of us still saving up for our yacht then this is easily a more practical purchase than the bragging rights of saying you use core2duo.

10. buffalo macrumors 65816

So which is the better deal for the mid-range model? I'm a high school student that already has a G5 iMac, I certainly don't need another comp, but I've had my eyes on the MacBook. At $1000, the refurb sounds like a good deal, but with twice the ram, a larger HDD, and a faster processor, the new MB looks nice. $1000 would be more affordable, but it almost makes sense to save up for the nicer one...

Opinions?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wait till in college to get the laptop is what id do. then youd have the newest macbook that would last longer. your g5 is plenty good for your needs i would venture to guess but i may be wrong

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

agreed. why would you need 2 computers in HS? keep saving until you reach college.. then you'll be able to buy a much nicer, newer laptop that'll last you a while.

13. kgarchar macrumors 6502

I'm in HS

I want two computers

I just want something to always be on at home

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hmm your first post said you don't need 2 computers and asked our opinions so we gave it.

However, it seems you want 2 computers for the sake of having 2 so go ahead, blow a grand and get a macbook. they are pretty sweet

however, if it were me, id wait. Just my opinion, but i also don't like to spend a whole bunch on computers often.....if it does what i need then great if not ill get a new one

15. Jessy macrumors regular

I got a refurb MBP for $1499 last week that was 40-some percent off the original price. It stopped being available the next day. I really wanted to be able to get a regular Macbook this year, but Apple was worthless about updating the video cards in their portables this year, so I had to get the Pro. Oh well.

16. budugu macrumors 6502

Are you surprised ... the most over priced item gets depreciated the most. THat said i have a black macbook myself :rolleyes:

17. drb6 macrumors regular

I'm interested in the blackbook as well but don't think its worth spending 1499 on it. So my choice is between a new 2.0 whitebook or a refurb blackbook.

How have you found your blackbook as far as scratching and staining? Is it much worse than for the white?

Also, I was worried about the heat and whine problems if I got a refurb blackbook. I wasn't sure if apple solved all those issues on the latest CDs.

Otherwise, I have no use for the new macbooks, i'm mainly gonna be surfing and maybe some photoshop & home video editing. Do you guys think 64bit will be useful for me? I