New Refurbs on Apple Website!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BGAYLOR07, Jan 23, 2007.

1. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are several C2D Macbooks on the US Apple site! :apple:

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

it should be pointed out that the OP is referring to the US refurb site :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And that refurbs come out somewhat frequently. Not sure if he knew that, but I guess it's a nice surprise if he didn't. ;)

4. BGAYLOR07 thread starter macrumors member

She knows. I just thought that other people might not have known. Just trying to help! :) I know a lot of people are wanting the C2D Macbooks which have only recently been available as Refurbs!!

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't know. Apple quietly opened a refurbished store in the Norwegian Apple Store just before Christmas, but so far I've not seen a single product in either the Mac or iPod section... :(

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Just received a BlackBook from refurb site yesterday. Read here before of "extras" sometimes received w. refurbs. Got 1G of ram instead of ordered 512M. Saved $100.

7. BGAYLOR07 thread starter macrumors member

That's awesome. :D I am torn between getting a refurb or a new MacBook 2.0 GHz with 1GB Ram standard. If I get a refurb, it would be nice if they upgrade the Ram or the HD. Was your MacBook in good condition, cosmetically?

8. CallistoJag macrumors member

Refurb'd Mac's

I have bought numerous refurb's from apple, though not yet a MacBook, and all have been in perfect condition, as if unused. Maybe I have just been lucky.....?!?!? :D

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I know this question has come up before in reguards to buying refurished products from Apple but is it worth it? (sorry if I am repeating other posts).

I'm not sure if to get a brand new 17" iMac or a refurbished 20" iMac and I'm not sure if it is risky buying a refurbished product from Apple.

10. BGAYLOR07 thread starter macrumors member

From what I hear, most refurbs are in like-new condition. No scratches or cosmetic damage and most of time they will upgrade the RAM or HD free of charge but it is not always guaranteed. Also, some people see it as safe because the product has been put through Quality Control twice and they also come the same warranty as the new products. Hope this helps!!:)

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've been thinking about a refurb myself and it sounds very promising. And free upgrades? Awesome.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

The risk is reduced because the warranty is the same for a refurb as with new. You could also buy Applecare to further reduce any risk. The quality control is very good. Someone here in the US actually tested the product before packaging it. I think the refurbs may actually get better quality control then the new products.

The only reason not to buy refurb'd products is because they don't build to order. If you want a BTO option you must buy it new.

13. winchest macrumors regular

I got a BlackBook refurb before Christmas that had a bad optical drive and standard configuration. Apple immediately accepted the return and credited my CC. I went ahead and ordered another one...the second one has been great so far and came with 1 GB instead of the expected 512 MB RAM.

I highly recommend refurbished units.

14. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

15. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

So I guess the downside of purchasing a new MB from Amazon is that it may already be "ineligible" for return if there are problems versus buying from Apple which they build first, then ship to you.

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Just got my refurbished 20" iMac today, I am so glad I got it. It has the same specs as the 20" C2D iMac and I've saved 35% off normal retail price.

Thanks for the advice guys, anyone who's looking for a Mac go for a refurb it is so worth it :D :cool: :apple:

17. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

What box do them come in? Plain brown or the standard proper packaging?

18. jruc4871 macrumors regular

Let me guess...you keep all of your Mac boxes.

19. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Only for purposes of selling them when I replace it, thats all. Do it for every major purchase as you never know.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does anyone know why they are listing a refurb 23-inch ACD at $849.00? It says the original price is $1999 but that's for the 30 inch. If it's actually a 30-inch I'd buy that in about 2 seconds.

21. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I keep all my boxes too :D

22. L3X macrumors 6502a

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It should also be noted some of the Refurbs are re-stock returns. Therefore some have possibly never been used.

24. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

THe list the items in the refurb shop with the original price of when the refurb was released - so in this case this model was offered for $1999 originally - prior to price cuts so it helps to list a pretty red discount percentage versus the real difference between what it costs new today versus the refurb and what it originally cost.

25. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

it comes in a brown refurb box. the box isnt refurb. it just says the certified reconditioned product. also, the packing materials are pretty shoddy i would say. my refurb macbook came today and the macbook was bouncing around with the foam placeholders off to the side:eek: ...the macbook is in fine shape however:D

brian