New Release Date For G5's?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by deanbo, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. deanbo macrumors regular

    May 6, 2003
    I wonder if Apple has delayed the release of G5's after reading all the negative press about the supposed updates.

    NAB would have been a good place to release these machines, (is it too late to release new machines at NAB?), so I have to wonder.

    And let's face it, the rumored specs were pretty pathetic, so I'm left wondering.

    "Dual 3Ghz MP's for me!!"

    This configuration, if it was released in the near future, would really rub the competitions nose in it.
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Not quite the way the process works. If there is an update in the works, most of it - at least processor speed is set. RAM, HDD, and the such can be changed perhaps.

    It may have more to do with supply chain issues, and not wanting to be burned by slow delivery.
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    After almost a year of no updates, it would be very hard for me to believe something about the supply chain being a problem. If IBM realized it wasn't going to hit 3 Ghz they would have realized it early on and been able to at least produce a larger quantity of the slower chips, or at least they should have been. With that being said I don't really think Apple is delaying the update any. My guess is they will be update the week of or the week after Tiger is released to hopefully increase sales, especially if the update is less than what people are expecting.
  4. keysersoze macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    I'm with Chip on this one. If Apple had computers to release, they would release them. No sense "holding on" to spite those who piss and moan the new computers may not be good enough of an update.
  5. ziwi macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    At this point one would think WWDC if it is an event update and a couple weeks prior if it is the rumored TS upgrade. After all this time there needs to be something new - maybe the PM's get the slight update and something 'NEW and Exciting' at WWDC. Might as well just wait the month and a half at this point anyway...
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I think that the release date depends on Steve Jobs. He likes getting the accolades. If there is a significant update then Steve will want to announce personally. WWDC will give him the chance to release before a crowd of Mac fans.
  7. scu macrumors regular

    Apr 9, 2005
    One other posibility is that Apple knows what it is doing.

    Lets for a second assume that the specs that TS reported on are true.

    Many would love to have Tiger in a new super fast PowerMac. There are millions who are still using the G3's and the G4's. All these machines were bought in the last 3 to 6 years. Many have not even updated to OSX or 10.3.

    Suddenly three new machines are available with Tiger.

    Dual 2 ghz with 512RAM 160 G Hard Drive and x16 DVD Burner $1699
    Dual 2.3 ghz with 512RAM 180 G Hard Drive and DVD Burner $1999
    Dual 2.7 ghz with 1 Gig of RAM 240 G Hard Drive and DVD Burner $2499

    Now I think they can sell at least 300K of those machines at those price points for at least 7 months simply because they cheaper and they have Tiger.

    What do you think?
  8. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    Sound likeley that they would have new once when Tiger comes but I hope that the price on the "low" end machine would be a bit lower :eek:
  9. scu macrumors regular

    Apr 9, 2005
    Apple always increases the prices on the low end machine every other update. The Dual 2 Ghz would be a bargain at $1699, given that it was $2499. Over the years Apple has dropped the price of some machines as much as $800. It is very likely they will do so in this case simply because they have nothing much faster to offer in order to justify a big increase.

    They might offer a Single processor for $1299.

Share This Page