New Renault R26 suits Fisi, not Alonso

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Looks like Alonso may have shot himself in the foot for the '06 season. Sour grapes from Flavio?

Still, I'd not be happy about the way the deal was concluded either. But this puts all the pressure on Giancarlo - if he can't beat Alonso this season, with a car built for him, people will start writing him off.

Lots of interesting stuff going on will the new teams fare? Will the name changes also change fortunes for Torro Rosso and Midland? Of course, Super Aguri will probably be slower than those too anyway - if Sato doesn't crash that antique Arrows he'll (probably) be driving.

And just how much power do you think the teams are losing with the V10-V8 transition? I wonder if those rev-limited Minardi V10s will have the advantage some fear...
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Super Aguri is using Arrows chassis from '03? Those unlucky bastards. :rolleyes:

I'm calling Schumi for the title, with a (very) close 2nd by Kimi, Massa or Fisi for 3rd.
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Flav's such a cherry isn't he.

If the car is less tailored to Alonso, then I expect Fisi to be much closer to him this season, Alonso really does have an unusual driving style with a car that always demonstrates massive amounts of turn in understeer, in that respect it's no surprise that Fisi suffered.

Though also lets not forget that Fisi spent half the season breaking down and on the wrong end of team orders... that exaggerated the points gap between them.

I expect a similar situation to occur at McLaren too, if the team develops a car that is less geared towards Raikkonen's preference for understeer and one that is maybe edgier to drive, I suspect we'll see Montoya taking the fight to Kimi as well.

A loss probably in the region of 180-200bhp, at the end of last season they were pumping out 920-940bhp, lob 2 cylinders of and you'd lose about 188bhp, so they should be in the mid 700's and probably pushing 800bhp sometime during the season I would suspect.

If Toro Rosso turn up at the first race and blow everyone off the circuit, you can bet your life that they'll be heavily restricted by the next race.

I reckon it'll be Alonso Vs. Schumacher all the way, with Schu just edging it. :)

Judging by McLarens testing form, comments from the drivers regarding the Merc V8 and the turmoil that the team now find themselves in (Newey, Prodromou and Tombazis departures) I suspect that they'll fail Kimi again.
  4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Not to mention that he did win a GP too. I think Fisi could be a contender under the right circumstances - especially if he doesn't break down every other race.

I want to see JPM fight with Kimi; I think he is good enough to beat Raikkonen, even though Kimi is unquestionably more talented.

That's what I'm thinking - it would be funny if they won their first ever GP...I can almost hear the whining from here.

I agree that Schu WILL be back this season, and put the doubters in their place. But in order to win I think he'll have to fight harder than he has in years. Or maybe Ferrari will sweep everyone aside like they have in recent years... Renault for one I don't expect to lie down and die though, so there should be a fight. McLaren really seems to have started a downhill slide - this might be their last chance with Kimi.

Oh, and IMHO Barrichello > Button. But we shall see. ;)
  5. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Hell, if they blow everyone away in practice, they might have some sort of restriction placed on them before the race.