Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
WHy is this a bad thing? It should be a companion to a smartphone.

Overcomplexity (among other things) is the reason why Google Glass and the Samsung version is failing.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Glucose sensing seems a pointless feature anyway. Diabetics should have a meter around with them at most times and non-diabetics (by definition) don't need one at all. I still don't understand why this is a "must have feature" or even a reason for Google to incorporate into their contact lenses.

I disagree. Current glucose monitoring is inconvenient and doesn't tell the whole story. Having a system to give data say every few minutes will lead to better diabetes control. For example, right now my roommate measures his blood sugar once on day on a typical day. He measures it right before breakfast and it is usually within the target range. He then eats and takes a long acting insulin. Well, today he was acting disoriented so I measured his blood sugar. It was on the high side. What is missing is data on a person's sugar level during the day. Sure he used to measure his sugar levels twice a day but they were within reason. Knowing the peaks and valleys of the sugar levels lets the Dr. know if he should be taking a short acting insulin in addition to the long acting insulin. Sure you have the A1C test but that is also a single data point versus measuring how the glucose concentration varies during the day.

It may be considered a medical device if glucose monitoring is added but having a continuous monitor offers a lot of benefits. As a monitor, how much more approval would it need versus the current poke and bleed monitors? The hurdle may be worth it. The iPhone is also a regulated device and Apple jumped into that market with some success.

edit: p.s. I'm not saying that glucose monitoring should be in every iWatch but it would be a great option for those who want it.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I dont think that there is any possible way that an iWatch can adopt iPhone capabilities without linking to a phone. To text and make calls would require a second identical sim card and in the uk, carriers dont issue duplicate sim cards without a hefty charge.

ProjectedLight

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
The first version of the iPod didn't work without a Mac and the first iPhone itself needed a Mac/PC to sync music and photos. The iWatch will start off as an accessory and evolve into a standalone product that may one day become what the iPhone was to the iPod.

Apple doesn't sit on its success and isn't afraid to obsolete its best selling products at their prime to create a new flagship product that will keep Apple on top for another generation.

I think people are thinking of this the wrong way, they hear from reports that it's going to be heavily dependent on iPhone and assume it's not going to be a breakthrough piece of technology. The fact is, everything revolves around the smartphone in the post PC era. It's the one indispensable element.

I think, instead of dissuading people because it's not a standalone device, one of its main attractions is going to be how beautifully it integrates and plays off the strengths of the iPhone. The iWatch, or ANY successful wearable, isn't going to break into the mainstream by doing what smartphones do, but with a smaller display. It's going to be a breakthrough biotech device, and that'll be its positioning. Not some BS baby smartphone ala Galaxy Gear.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Glucose sensing seems a pointless feature anyway. Diabetics should have a meter around with them at most times and non-diabetics (by definition) don't need one at all. I still don't understand why this is a "must have feature" or even a reason for Google to incorporate into their contact lenses.

Actually, glucose monitoring is only good if you are doing it regularly. Having something that is checking on a schedule might detect issues early so that you can take action before things get bad.

The big thing with glucose monitoring is that they can now do it with micro needles that don't require a finger stab.

While you get used to pricking your finger if you are diabetic, it's never pleasant.

If my "watch" could warn me of a problem, or produce a graph showing how my blood sugar changed throughout the day, it could really help me manage my diabetes. Although in my case as long as I take my meds I can kind of eat however I want.:p

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I despise the concept art for the iWatch. I really hope the actual iWatch is nothing like those things that resemble bangles.

bangles.jpg

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
If blood glucose monitoring is a thing in this, I can guarantee the Mrs. and I are both getting one. Me, because it's an Apple product. Her, because she found out she was an insulin-dependent diabetic the hard way (DKA) at the end of the summer, and is getting real sick of poking her finger several times a day.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I dont think that there is any possible way that an iWatch can adopt iPhone capabilities without linking to a phone. To text and make calls would require a second identical sim card and in the uk, carriers dont issue duplicate sim cards without a hefty charge.

That is what Bluetooth and WiFi are for. Think of the iWatch acting more like an iPod Touch rather than a phone. It could use iMessage/Facetime to do those things on WiFi. But pairing it with a phone over bluetooth, it can do much more with access to the Telco networks.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Clearly Apple has already been researching these issues for a long time.

There is a lot of value in all sorts of continuous health monitoring. However, it would require FDA approval and not everyone needs all monitors.

Could they make different versions with different sensors? Could they make it possible to connect different sensors? Maybe they could be added like bangles and would talk to each other with low power BT?

I suspect the first iWatch will be solid but kind of simple and it will grow from there.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
That is what Bluetooth and WiFi are for. Think of the iWatch acting more like an iPod Touch rather than a phone. It could use iMessage/Facetime to do those things on WiFi. But pairing it with a phone over bluetooth, it can do much more with access to the Telco networks.

Yeah but if its constantly paired, its gonna wack the hell out of the battery life for what will be a really small battery

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
My wish-list for the iWatch:

LARGE square face (okay; rounded corners), high-def bitmapped screen with user configurable watch faces. Provide a simple IDE to provide the ability for users to mix 'n match colors, designs (background, hands) so that the watch looks like whatever the user requires for maximum functionality or high-fashion (colors to coordinate with my suit or shirt, for example).

In this manner, the iWatch may be digital or analog, as required or desired.

Maybe let's have a few alarm features (with SNOOZE capabilities - something that my iPhone can't do with a 3rd-party app - or maybe let the watch connect with a particular calendaring app on my iPhone but the app developer will need to support it I guess).

Problems I see:

1. Price point - No more than $99-$149. If the unit is supposed to support some "iHealth" features, that will require more hardware and the price point & complexity just won't be worth it.

2. Battery life - This is the killer. I'm not going to worry about charging up my iWatch like I have to do my iPhone (although I do have a charging plug in my car for my iPhone so that happens while I drive - I'm not going to plug in my iWatch while I drive).

In short, I give the iWatch a snowball's chance in Hell. Let Tim prove me wrong. Frankly, I think this is an answer searching for a question.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
IT NEEDS TO BE. I would enjoy takeing it underwater a ton cuz I love swimming and I'm on a swim team so that would be cool for practice. But I can't wash my hands if I'm scarred to death to get it wet.

my guess is that it will at least be water resistant like my fitbit force, they recommend you don't wear it in the shower, though I've forgotten and kept it on and its been alright. if you can't splash a bit of water on it they might as well not put anything out.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
The number of people who would buy an iWatch without already owning iPhone is probably very small. iWatch as an accessory to the iPhone doesn't bother me.

Did you say the same thing about the Galaxy Gear, which was getting ripped for only supporting the Note 3 and S4?

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have much interest in a wearable device that requires me to carry a second device in order to function.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
There are 400 million people with diabetes who would love a noninvasive way to measure glucose. Blood monitoring through skin is a breakthrough if deployed, because there are tons of use cases, not just diabetes.

Unfortunatelly, there is currently no reliable technology to measure glucose levels noninvasively. I do not believe Apple has found a way - that would be a breakthrough far too outside their current area of expertise, and its use as a medical tool would have required medical article publications about the subject before the first iWatch arrives at consumers.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I think people are thinking of this the wrong way, they hear from reports that it's going to be heavily dependent on iPhone and assume it's not going to be a breakthrough piece of technology. The fact is, everything revolves around the smartphone in the post PC era. It's the one indispensable element.

I think, instead of dissuading people because it's not a standalone device, one of its main attractions is going to be how beautifully it integrates and plays off the strengths of the iPhone. The iWatch, or ANY successful wearable, isn't going to break into the mainstream by doing what smartphones do, but with a smaller display. It's going to be a breakthrough biotech device, and that'll be its positioning. Not some BS baby smartphone ala Galaxy Gear.

Eventually I think the iWatch will take the place of the iPhone as the main on you all the time personal computer.

Before the iPhone, nobody could imagine a phone replacing a laptop. The screen was too small for the "whole" internet. But the iPhone UI was designed specifically for the small screen, not trying to force large screen UI (i.e. cursor based) into a small screen.

Similarly, a UI designed specifically for a band screen could do the same. Ask Siri a question and she gives you an answer, not search results for pages where you might find that answer.

Use cases that require larger screens can be resolved with ubiquitous AirPlay enabled devices or by having iPads slot down to fill that niche. Think easy to use second screen experiences. Use any screen around you to view photos or movies via AirPlay.

The first iWatch will be an accessory but as technology allows, it'll become ever more independent just as the iPhone has released its reliance on iTunes and a Mac/PC.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If it doesn't have biometrics it is a non-starter for me. I am diabetic, have high-blood pressure and high cholesterol.

I also spend two plus hours a day in the gym. This thing could totally rock for me, but without the biometrics, it's hard to imagine giving me enough incentive to put something back on my wrist after all these years.

If it did have the biometric capabilities that you listed it would be revolutionary for diabetics, those with hypertension, etc. Add in the fitness monitoring and I'm all over it.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My wish-list for the iWatch:

LARGE square face (okay; rounded corners), high-def bitmapped screen with user configurable watch faces. Provide a simple IDE to provide the ability for users to mix 'n match colors, designs (background, hands) so that the watch looks like whatever the user requires for maximum functionality or high-fashion (colors to coordinate with my suit or shirt, for example).

In this manner, the iWatch may be digital or analog, as required or desired.

Maybe let's have a few alarm features (with SNOOZE capabilities - something that my iPhone can't do with a 3rd-party app - or maybe let the watch connect with a particular calendaring app on my iPhone but the app developer will need to support it I guess).

Problems I see:

1. Price point - No more than $99-$149. If the unit is supposed to support some "iHealth" features, that will require more hardware and the price point & complexity just won't be worth it.

2. Battery life - This is the killer. I'm not going to worry about charging up my iWatch like I have to do my iPhone (although I do have a charging plug in my car for my iPhone so that happens while I drive - I'm not going to plug in my iWatch while I drive).

In short, I give the iWatch a snowball's chance in Hell. Let Tim prove me wrong. Frankly, I think this is an answer searching for a question.

It's 2014 not 1999. Wake up for Gods sake. Analogue - think outside the box, an iWatch can be more than a "watch" - use a little imagination.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would surprised if the iWatch wasn't inherently linked to the iPhone in some way such that the two devices were intended to be used together. The iWatch collects the data and presents it to the iPhone by way of a series of API's for developers to build back end apps to display the data.

Apple is all about building enabling technologies with the developers bringing the value added through their apps.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Do you have any idea how big of a deal non invasive glucose monitoring would be to diabetics? There are over 25 million diabetics in the US and over 350 million worldwide.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Are you trying to tell me it won't let me time-travel?! :eek:

No, but when paired with a supercomputer named Tim, it will allow you to "jaunt" to distant places, rather than the short jaunts you can do on your own.

Just keep an eye out for Jedekiah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.