Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
That mockup looks more like an iBracelet than an iWatch. Frankly, it's hideous. I stopped wearing watches like 20 years ago. They always seemed to make my wrists hurt over time. It's not much bother to pull an iPhone or iPod touch out of my pocket and glance at it (more like a pocket watch) and my wrists have no pressure on them. I'd have zero use for an iWatch. Maybe they could make an iHat or iGloves or even iUndies. Who wouldn't want music playing up their private areas, after all?
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but I seriously don't get these kinds of posts:

"I don't have a use for it so therefore it must be a nonsense product."

I personally don't need a lawnmower, a pickup truck or a volleyball court, but that doesn't mean that I think these are nonsense products that should not exist.

Back on topic: there are lots of people that wear watches. An increasing number is wearing fitbits, fuelbands etc. Now, while the positive influence on their health might be debatable, it doesn't mean these people get some use out of it and like their product.

So just relax when Apple releases this. It won't hurt you to not buy it.

----------

I was really excited about the glucose reading, blood pressure, and heart rate monitoring. Probably will skip it without any other those capabilities.

You need to wait approx. 5-8 years at a minimum for blood glucose monitoring that is non-invasive. That tech is nowhere near market introduction and regulatory approval.

----------

Getting FDA approval for anything falling under medical device regulations may be way too slow for a fashion device/accessory that has to be shipped before it goes out of fashion, or even gets copied to flood the market in countries where medical device laws are not well enforced, before the FDA even finishes looking at it.

Maybe there should be a fast track for these products, similar to process for vaccines for the latest flu.

The average time needed for approval of a medical device update is about 6 months. It's no problem. It is the introduction of a fundamentally new product that might take longer.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well, if it is a standalone device, wouldn't you need to buy a data plan for it. Who would pay for a data plan on a watch or wristband? Or, who would pay for two data plans, one for a smartphone and another for a watch? Seems like it almost has to be tethered to a smartphone and not standalone.

You can't put a 3G receiver into a watch sized device and expect the battery to last more than 5 minutes. If there is any connection then it is bluetooth.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
You can't put a 3G receiver into a watch sized device and expect the battery to last more than 5 minutes. If there is any connection then it is bluetooth.

I did a blog post ages ago about anything really useful would have to replace the phone. Face Time audio could replace the phone, but I don't think a device that size could have enough battery to operate as a cut-down phone on wifi. It might save about 9 radios, but would a wifi wrist phone be worth it?

There aren't that many fat geeks, so they are not exactly the market a company should target.

Aspirational fat geeks, if you please. Plenty of people might WANT a watch to help them lose weight.

I love it when the speculation gets out of hand & Apple (apparently) feels the need to dampen expectations. MacRumors is excellent at this, producing renderings that are so fantastic, the supply chain leaks like a sieve, phones get left in bars, and so on. Apple doesn't leak unless it thinks it needs to. Tim's shown he can keep some things a complete secret, if he wants to.

There was a comment on a major podcast, recently.
Those that have seen the iWatch, are extremely impressed, and think it will wipe the floor with the competition.

Might be just PR, but if it's the genuine impression of people who are in the know, that's positive news for people that like Apple products.

Apple seem to know when they have a good product, that surprises and excites the market, and that appears to be what the podcast comment was all about - just relax, it'll be cool and millions of people will want it.

If it's a fancier FuelBand, with not much of a display, that might be a disappointment. Especially for nike, Mr Cook being on their board 'n all.

I appreciate HealthBook could go much further than nike want to go. Maybe nike are happy just doing running, or don't see wearables as core business and may even be happy to let Apple value-add to sales of their shoes.

These renderings look great, and totally unrealistic and I applaud MacRumors for promoting them along with all the biometric technologies that just won't be ready. If it causes Apple to leak a little… rumours fans get a fix.

I do think it will be $300 and masses will still want to buy it. And once again, I have no idea what it will be, that could be that popular.
Something that saves me taking my phone out of my pocket? Meh.
Biometric anything? Yawn.
iPod on your wrist? I just don't get it.
Wifi only phone???

Surprise me Tim.

cedalone

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
too bad. I'm waiting for an iwatch for so long but this device will not be for me: i m a bit hypochondriac, and knowing all about my health gonna kill me!:)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I was thinking, you can't expect that much. But then again... how long have they been working on it!

If the guys at pebble could pull something like the steel off, anything other than an amazing product would be disappointing from Apple.

You're right, the Pebble is a good product because they prioritise a functional experience over sexy features. the display, battery life and purity of what information it displays is the paramount consideration. They worked within their known limits and succeeded.

By comparison, Samsung even supposedly stated themselves that the Galaxy Gear is a half baked product. And users can see it has very little focus, just replicating a smartphone experience on your wrist - badly.

It must be why Apple are apparently focusing on heath benefits, when M7 chips etc are low power and can provide something very tactile but functional as a symbiotic experience between your phone and another device. Hopefully it won't be as exorbitantly expensive as the Galaxy Gear too, because they are consciously focusing what functions to offer in/with it.

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
I did a blog post ages ago about anything really useful would have to replace the phone. Face Time audio could replace the phone, but I don't think a device that size could have enough battery to operate as a cut-down phone on wifi. It might save about 9 radios, but would a wifi wrist phone be worth it?

Aspirational fat geeks, if you please. Plenty of people might WANT a watch to help them lose weight.

I love it when the speculation gets out of hand & Apple (apparently) feels the need to dampen expectations. MacRumors is excellent at this, producing renderings that are so fantastic, the supply chain leaks like a sieve, phones get left in bars, and so on. Apple doesn't leak unless it thinks it needs to. Tim's shown he can keep some things a complete secret, if he wants to.

There was a comment on a major podcast, recently.
Those that have seen the iWatch, are extremely impressed, and think it will wipe the floor with the competition.

Might be just PR, but if it's the genuine impression of people who are in the know, that's positive news for people that like Apple products.

Apple seem to know when they have a good product, that surprises and excites the market, and that appears to be what the podcast comment was all about - just relax, it'll be cool and millions of people will want it.

If it's a fancier FuelBand, with not much of a display, that might be a disappointment. Especially for nike, Mr Cook being on their board 'n all.

I appreciate HealthBook could go much further than nike want to go. Maybe nike are happy just doing running, or don't see wearables as core business and may even be happy to let Apple value-add to sales of their shoes.

These renderings look great, and totally unrealistic and I applaud MacRumors for promoting them along with all the biometric technologies that just won't be ready. If it causes Apple to leak a little… rumours fans get a fix.

I do think it will be $300 and masses will still want to buy it. And once again, I have no idea what it will be, that could be that popular.
Something that saves me taking my phone out of my pocket? Meh.
Biometric anything? Yawn.
iPod on your wrist? I just don't get it.
Wifi only phone???

Surprise me Tim.

Which podcast was this? Where the iwatch was said to be impressive. Thanks.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
(ick.. i wish they wouldn't keep showing that image :p)

Still reminds of a Fit-bit... and nothing will change my mind about that..

It's all too visual looking to one.... If these don't sell well, u'll know why..

Plus, only Apple & Samsung are making these watches... That tells you allot, where are the competition ? They gonna spring up over night ?

This may also say , "its not gonna sell well."

We'll see....but I'm already saying that now, otherwise every man and his dog would be doing this.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

Agreed. So, I still need to own a smartphone and carry it with me.

I own a Fitbit wristband ($99) and rather like it. Most of its value is improving my awareness about activity level, eating and sleeping habits. It will be interesting to see what features Apple adds over and above the fitness and health trackers to make it a compelling purchase because I am sure they will charge much more than $99.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I read this post on this site... Ofcourse I want one.
How crappy can it be? As long as it shows time and notifications, controlls music and siri?
Im also sure it will include same fitness stuff as fitbit.

Features like control of atv and hue could be cool.

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
The number of people who would buy an iWatch without already owning iPhone is probably very small. iWatch as an accessory to the iPhone doesn't bother me.

However it opens the "low cost" demographic.

Limited but useful feature set without iPhone. Enhanced functionality when paired with a iPhone.

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007

They'll get Wi-Fi into this baby as well.

Paired via BT-LE for the 3G connection.

For me the unit is more of a sensor, data receiving device (data collector is pushed to the cloud or LE when attached).

The point of the unit as its "pressed" to the body is to receive the vital signs data. Then your iphone, cloud, web can do the recording and crunching of such data.

Give it a name? Human life statistics.

As I've stated previously. The data alone is not always interesting. But the correlation with other data and events in your health which make this a compelling device.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
It would control your phone. Ever go jogging with your phone in your hand? Sucks.

Yes, I have. And it does suck. That's why I purchased a cheap arm band. It allows me to control my phone with, of all things, my finger - a device that I always have with me and doesn't require charging. That is, on the rare occasion that I actually need to do something with said phone while running.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
(ick.. i wish they wouldn't keep showing that image :p)

Still reminds of a Fit-bit... and nothing will change my mind about that..

It's all too visual looking to one.... If these don't sell well, u'll know why..

Plus, only Apple & Samsung are making these watches... That tells you allot, where are the competition ? They gonna spring up over night ?

This may also say , "its not gonna sell well."

We'll see....but I'm already saying that now, otherwise every man and his dog would be doing this.

You mean Nike Fuel.

If this iWatch will function similar to Fitbit and Nike Fuel fitness bands, I think it will be a big seller. Especially to people who want to have a active lifestyle or to lose weight. Also to the people who are already fit and need something to monitor their health.

Features like and not limited to:
Heart monitoring system
GPS mapping for runners or hikers
Altimeter to count stairs climbed or hills climbed
Weather storm indicator from atmosphere pressure sensors
Vibrating alarm to wake you up and not your partner
Water resistant / proof
Low and High temperature ratings
Call and text notifications

Attachments

• Nike-Fuel-Band_BonjourLife.com1.jpg
    Nike-Fuel-Band_BonjourLife.com1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 92

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
The Apple Store near me sells the circular wrist things from FitBit, Nike, etc. Obviously they're not full-blown "smart" watches, but Apple might be priming consumer expectations for this form factor by selling them in their stores. It's seems like more than a coincidence.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Here are the many different types of fitness bands that are on the market.
There are a lot more out there but these are the most popular on the marking now

1. Fitbit Flex
2. Fitbit Force
3. Nike Fuel
4. Jawbone Up
5. Polar Loop

Attachments

• 61YRYwYtSJL._SL1500_.jpg
    61YRYwYtSJL._SL1500_.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 80
  • fitbit-force-front.jpg
    fitbit-force-front.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Nike-Fuel-Band_BonjourLife.com1.jpg
    Nike-Fuel-Band_BonjourLife.com1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 81e9tpBfnmL._SL1500_.jpg
    81e9tpBfnmL._SL1500_.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 70
  • polar_loop_home_animation.gif
    polar_loop_home_animation.gif
    155 KB · Views: 87

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
All it needs to do is allow me to view and respond to emails and texts. The ability to answer or make calls or do anything else is just a bonus.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wait -- tempers who's expectations? It's silly to suggest their is a majority of Apple watchers that believes the first iteration will be a Swiss Army Knife SuperBand (let's not refer to it as a "watch" for the sake of the conceptually disabled folks here). Apple always leaves room to grow & feasts on feature creep. I never offers the entire enchilada. It's bite by bite. To expect anything more is to believe the cow jumped over the moon & Elvis is still roaming the building.

----------

You mean the Pebble, the most successful crow sourced device ever? I'm not a fan of the end product design but gotta give them props for what they have accomplished so far.

There are a dozen activity bands that sync up with Android and/or iOS. Seems like a competitive market to me. But if you are complaint there isn't much of an all encompassing band market maybe it's because 1) it's a tough product to design right (Samsung & Sony have proven that already & 2) companies know it's smarter to be iOS & Android partners than competitors. It takes lots of $ & talent to go head to head w/ Apple.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Sorry, but I seriously don't get these kinds of posts:

"I don't have a use for it so therefore it must be a nonsense product."

Sorry, but I seriously don't get replies by people who can't apparently read. Nowhere did I say it was a "nonsense product". NOWHERE. I said it was a hideous looking mockup. If you don't know the difference, I suggest starting with the dictionary and looking up the word hideous and looking. You don't have to agree, of course.

OTOH, the smart watches on the market thus far have been relatively pointless. There probably is a good use for one if battery life could be sustained, but I'm guessing it'd be more of a front-end interface for Siri for the iPhone in your pocket plus a few feedback displays, not something that would stand very well on its own save music playback and exercise monitoring.

Back on topic: there are lots of people that wear watches. An increasing

There are lots of people that wear underwear too. So what? Look at someone wearing a Casio calculator/whatever digital watch and someone wearing a Rolex analog with Swiss timing. Which person are you going to hire for a job? A watch is a statement as much as a time piece like cufflinks or any other jewelry/accessory item. You don't go to a big time job interview with Nike tennis shoes on so who is this going to appeal to? People exercising or nerd-types that don't care about appearance (or incredibly short battery life with the current models). Now make the thing look CLASSY and maybe it'd be a different story, but a cylinder or square face isn't going to cut it.

So just relax when Apple releases this. It won't hurt you to not buy it.

You relax. You're the one having a conniption fit about my opinion. And if Apple releases it the way that mockup looks, it'll just fulfill my belief that Apple won't survive in the long run with such bad fashion decisions as the Johnny Ive iOS7 (ugly and CPU intensive), the new Mac Pro (trash can look-alike) and Mavericks (heading the wrong direction too). Apple has been about good-looking products for the past decade plus. Now they seem to have people there that wouldn't know a suit from a track suit. Things should be elegant, not elephant.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Its true though. I have an engineer friend who works there on chip designs that tells people at parties that they can ask him anything they want to- he can't spill the beans because he doesn't even know what he is working on. There are few, if any leaks from Apple employees because of this. There are of course intentional leaks, such as to Dalrymple, and Chinese parts leaks, but stuff like software features or designs that haven't been sent for production almost never leak. This story is fiction.

That's why I want to work there, because I want to know how they manage to do this. In fact, one recruiter contacted me about a compiler optimization position in the GPU team. I've already got a job and don't want to wait for H1B visa (lottery), green card, etc. But I will be there some day:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.