Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No, I'm sorry.

Your reply is appropriate when someone is complaining that a group's numbers aren't at the 'proper' percentages. Like, let's say they have 30% women and 15% minorities. Then you can pull out your comment and say "look, things don't always match the real world perfectly. They're picking the right person for the job."

It's ok in that case.

But when your page has been 100 PERCENT white male there's a problem there. As a white male myself I'd be uncomfortable being hired onto that team. I'd say "hey, maybe you should be looking past me just this once."

I in no way ever say that every group should be perfectly diverse. I'm with your comment in many other situations.

But this is not one of those situations.

Again, there's no evidence of discrimination, as far as we know they hired the best person for the job.

And, Cue is Latino.

----------

Has the leadership team ever had an African American ? Wonder when one will come along if ever .

If the job is open and an African American is the best candidate and best fit, I'm sure it would.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
No, I'm sorry.

Your reply is appropriate when someone is complaining that a group's numbers aren't at the 'proper' percentages. Like, let's say they have 30% women and 15% minorities. Then you can pull out your comment and say "look, things don't always match the real world perfectly. They're picking the right person for the job."

It's ok in that case.

But when your page has been 100 PERCENT white male there's a problem there. As a white male myself I'd be uncomfortable being hired onto that team. I'd say "hey, maybe you should be looking past me just this once."

I in no way ever say that every group should be perfectly diverse. I'm with your comment in many other situations.

But this is not one of those situations.

It's a shame you cant look past race and you make decisions based on the color of a persons skin.

"100 PERCENT white male there's a problem"

Sad, very sad. You need to think more on this subject and take a closer look at how you think.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Someone in MR staff has the hots for Angela big time, never seen so many articles about a person joining apple before. We get it..... Angela is moving to Apple, but do we really need weekly updates ?? Hardly a rumour now ;)

This just in!

Angela goes to get a cup of coffee! More details to follow endlessly over the coming months only here on macrumours!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Someone in MR staff has the hots for Angela big time, never seen so many articles about a person joining apple before. We get it..... Angela is moving to Apple, but do we really need weekly updates ?? Hardly a rumour now ;)

Because stories on 3rd party iPhone 6 case designs based on rumored leaked design schematics are so much more interesting.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
What exactly is wrong with the shopping experience? I hope she doesn't make it all girly. Steve Jobs was definitely on the manly side of taste.

It can be subjective discussion as visitors have different expectations. When it comes to my local Apple store however, I've always found it to be a cold experience. It pains me to say this as I'm sure many customers leave happy, but I often find the staff patronising (especially if you don't have the same level of product knowledge as them) and the environment not very welcoming.

Again, the latter will change from store to store. The one nearest to me has bare steel walls, a glass stair case that's very easy to trip up on and of course no cash wrap. I'm guessing the mobile card payment/cash system is designed to speed up transactions, but I've just never felt comfortable with it. Maybe it's just me of course :eek:

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
"... Apple retail and online stores, which have redefined the shopping experience for hundreds of millions of customers around the world..."

Sometimes, I just roll my eyes at Apple. Yes, WE GET IT.

:D

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Is this the first time Apple has had a woman in a senior position?

#shame

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
What exactly is wrong with the shopping experience? I hope she doesn't make it all girly. Steve Jobs was definitely on the manly side of taste.

How the hell is shopping at Apple a manly experience and what would be a non-manly experience??? YOu think she is going to turn everything pink or something?? Good grief.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Has the leadership team ever had an African American ? Wonder when one will come along if ever .

Who cares? Just because some is of color, sex or whatever, they don't automatically qualify. I'm 100% positive if someone was qualified, they would be hired. Don't make it seem like it's an issue when it is not.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Its nice to finally see a woman up there. I'll admit: She's hot! :eek: Now, it's time for a black man or woman.

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
This is Tim Cook calling for a female VP. She won´t be the last at Apple that´s for sure.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Who cares? Just because some is of color, sex or whatever, they don't automatically qualify. I'm 100% positive if someone was qualified, they would be hired. Don't make it seem like it's an issue when it is not.

Lmao I never said it was an issue... I don't care who's on the team as long as the company is being run well. I'm just curious when one will come along.

People so uptight on forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It can be subjective discussion as visitors have different expectations. When it comes to my local Apple store however, I've always found it to be a cold experience. It pains me to say this as I'm sure many customers leave happy, but I often find the staff patronising (especially if you don't have the same level of product knowledge as them) and the environment not very welcoming.

Again, the latter will change from store to store. The one nearest to me has bare steel walls, a glass stair case that's very easy to trip up on and of course no cash wrap. I'm guessing the mobile card payment/cash system is designed to speed up transactions, but I've just never felt comfortable with it. Maybe it's just me of course :eek:

cash wrap? you mean a till, ability to take cash? I thought the same. Then my store showed me its hidden in a table in a draw. Very cool :)

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Between posters here and the Clippers fiasco, it is nice to know that both racism and sexism still flourish in America.

For those saying that she is a "diversity hire" maybe you should do some research on her credentials and provide some evidence that she isn't the best PERSON for the job.

And for those of you saying it's a white boys club, give me the names of the minorities that would be more capable in those jobs than the people that are there.

Just because any group doesn't equal the racial breakdown of America doesn't mean anybody discriminated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.