New Rev Power Mac or iMac? Which is best for my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iToon, Apr 29, 2005.

1. iToon macrumors newbie

iToon

Ok, I know this is likely to get lost amidst the Tiger fever pitch, but I could really do with some sterling advice.

Basically, i'm looking at getting one of the new revision Dual Power Macs. I've got the cash to get anything from the 2.0 to the 2.7, but having totalled everything up (extra HD space, bluetooth, 256Mb graphics card, 20" flat, etc), I was wondering if it'd make more sense to go for the 2.0 and trick out the extras and RAM. My only concern would be a revision to the iMac that might make it comparable to the 2.0 Dual and hence a better investment, in which case a higher end Power Mac or the new rev iMac may be a more favourable choice.

As a designer, I feel there's a genuine need to migrate from Windows and PC, but I do want something that'll resell reasonably well when it comes to upgrading in the future. My primary use for a new machine would be graphics work - notably photoshop and other Adobe/Macromedia apps, but I would like to know that I can have a crack at 3D and video, should I want to. The latter would not be needed for work (rather the pursuit of hobby), so it's not like i'd require something that needs to be rendered quickly. As I said, basic graphics apps will be the most paramount requirement.

As much as i'd like the biggest and best Mac to boast about, my head tells me that I probably don't need it and i'm loathe to spend money where it's not due - especially given that I need other hardware upgrades for printer, scanner and a new Wacom. Is it just me or is the price difference between top and bottom end PM's a lot for just 700Mhz of extra processor power?

I don't own a Mac yet, so i'm not in the greatest position to make a credible analysis on either the iMac or Power Mac, which is why i'm asking you guys for some tips and advice, if you'd care to give it to me.

Many thanks.

P.S. Is there any difference between the iMac screens and Apple's widescreen standalones?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The iMac's lowly graphics card is reason enough for you to not want to touch it if you're thinking of doing video-based stuff with it. As for the 2.0GHz vs 2.7GHz debate, I don't think there would be a huge difference but it'd obviously be nice to get the fastest processor possible. Put it this way, if you have a set amount of money, it might be worthwhile tricking out a lower-spec Mac with RAM and the such rather than going for the fastest processor. OSX loves RAM so get as much as you can (2GB+ would be awesome :) ). How about the 2.3GHz machine? This is the same as the top PM but with a slightly slower CPU rather than the 2.0GHz PM which has less features (PCI and available RAM slots off the top of my head).

Just make sure you have heaps of RAM. Enjoy the switch, Macs are great machines, I'm sure you'll love it.