Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My review should be up tomorrow, but for those on the fence, the new revision is excellent. Here's a little sneak picture from tomorrow's review. :)

Attachments

• 20110419-IMG_6631.jpg
    20110419-IMG_6631.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 246

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
My review should be up tomorrow, but for those on the fence, the new revision is excellent. Here's a little sneak picture from tomorrow's review. :)

How much does the new case weigh? I bought the Speck HD and it weighs way too much.

a1sy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
review

I watched review- here is just one question: why top cover is not covering whole surface? I think it would look better if it would be aligned with bottom portion? Is it shorter because of the magnets problem?

bobbyrab

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I watched review- here is just one question: why top cover is not covering whole surface? I think it would look better if it would be aligned with bottom portion? Is it shorter because of the magnets problem?

I am wondering the same thing. The first version was like this and I didn't much like that the covers didn't line up.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
IMO the reviewer did not install the ipad quite right, you need to really push the ipad in all the way but especially pull and tuck the little flap really tight. he did not. if you look at some of the controls cutouts, they are not lined up right because the case is not pulled as tight as it could be. my orig case had a smaller gap at the flap edge that got better. I agree the flap gap here is unacceptable, but if you push and tuck tighter the front flap will extend further to the magnet edge. at least this is how the 1st version fit.
you can see in this video the hinge area at top and bottom is a little bunched up and not tightly tucked. I can not really see the sleep function working but if the ipad was fitted better, everything would match up and fit as designed. imho/
it's a wrap-around fit, you have to push it in and tuck it Tight!
its a great case with improvements. and if the orig seller will have my business I'll buy this one too. the first version's sleep function malfunctioning is definitely a drawback. It clicks a lot inadvertently when closed and fully opened.

Last edited:

a1sy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
IMO the reviewer did not install the ipad quite right, you need to really push the ipad in all the way but especially pull and tuck the little flap really tight. he did not. if you look at some of the controls cutouts, they are not lined up right because the case is not pulled as tight as it could be. my orig case had a smaller gap at the flap edge that got better. I agree the flap gap here is unacceptable, but if you push and tuck tighter the front flap will extend further to the magnet edge. at least this is how the 1st version fit.
you can see in this video the hinge area at top and bottom is a little bunched up and not tightly tucked. I can not really see the sleep function working but if the ipad was fitted better, everything would match up and fit as designed. imho/
it's a wrap-around fit, you have to push it in and tuck it Tight!
its a great case with improvements. and if the orig seller will have my business I'll buy this one too. the first version's sleep function malfunctioning is definitely a drawback. It clicks a lot inadvertently when closed and fully opened.

He mentioned that you have to push it, and he did, but top cover short quite a bit , strange. O ordered mine few days ago,but will see how it fit.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Yeah... I messed with that part after I finished filming the review. It pushed in a little bit farther to align all the cut-outs perfectly, but not much. Just FYI.

I'll toss in an annotation in regards to that asap.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Got these cases in yesterday and put them through the paces and while I still think they are the best choice for a slim folio and while Yoobao has made substantial improvements there is one issue (possibly minor depending on how you intend to use the case) that I uncovered with the sleep/wake feature.

My video take on it is uploaded to my channel and processing now so it should be available within minutes.

MMakoto

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Got these cases in yesterday and put them through the paces and while I still think they are the best choice for a slim folio and while Yoobao has made substantial improvements there is one issue (possibly minor depending on how you intend to use the case) that I uncovered with the sleep/wake feature.

My video take on it is uploaded to my channel and processing now so it should be available within minutes.

Oh wow, that magnet is so noticeable on the brown case, and that's the color I ordered too. I don't recall seeing this on the original one I got. Btw, thanks for the great review and the point out of this new flaw, minor one I'd say.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Wanted to make sure and thank flatline and other early adopters for their work. I appreciate it. Onward pioneers to the next ipad accs discovery!

Ysabel

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Looks like I will wait for version 3 if that front cover is not lining up properly/magnet not holding the cover in place.

Maybe its the first batch being rush out to reviewers!!! ;)

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
When reviewing please check and see if, when the iPad is propped up in portrait, vertical mode, if the iPad still has a tendency to slide down slightly. This was the cause of most of the problems for me. It caused various cutouts to become misaligned as well as the cover wouldn't fold over properly which made the sleep mode not work quite right, and also allowed the cover to fold back too far resulting in erroneous sleep mode activation.

Last edited:

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

Meh. I had the smart cover and it did the exact same thing. It's unavoidable unless there is some kind of strap that holds the cover in place.

kimnicho

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I don't know why I'm still following this thread as I vowed not to ever buy another Yoobao product. If that's real leather then I'm Jennifer Lopez. I guess Im curious if they really fixed the issues. I think youbare right about the strap. My Radtech Skinny has one. I don't love the look/hassle of it but it serves an important purpose.

Meh. I had the smart cover and it did the exact same thing. It's unavoidable unless there is some kind of strap that holds the cover in place.

bobbyrab

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011

If the spine of the binder is anything like the first version, I think that is the cause of the problem. As I recall the spine "gave" a bit and was not rigid or with a well-defined crease, and this caused, IMO, the front cover of the case to wiggle around a bit. I was intrigued by the new and improved version but it looks like I will pass as I believe this is a design flaw. They need to firm up the spine to cause less wiggling and then the sleep issue will er, finally be put to bed.

Netcruzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed with your video review William. You didn't install/seat the iPad fully, or properly test for magnet activation on the rear. My 1st gen iPad 2 case will ONLY inadvertently lock if I pull the cover all the way to the right rear. If I did what you did, it would look perfect too.

IMO, do another quick vid.. show how it the front cover fits when the ipad is installed properly, and do a better rear magnet test.. really pull and tug and show that you CANNOT activate sleep.

The smell is something that cannot be proved on video, so we'll have to take your word on that. My 1st gen still stinks quite bad a week after opening the package, and letting a fan blow on it overnight a few times.

I must say, that even with the problems I'm really enjoying my Yoobao case, mostly I wish it smelled like leather instead of paint/permanent marker, which the new version has supposedly fixed.

Thanks.

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

YEA!!!

THis review obviously overlooks this glaring fault by not mentioning the flap not coming even close to being flush with the back case, what's up with that?

FAIL!

jweaver

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
YEA!!!

THis review obviously overlooks this glaring fault by not mentioning the flap not coming even close to being flush with the back case, what's up with that?

FAIL!

Didn't the reviewer say in a post above that this was a mistake on his part.. He hadn't pushed the Ipad all the way in.. Once he did this, everything lined up better and the front flap closed properly..

Jon

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
They are supposedly shipping me the new version this week sometime. I am glad they fixed the magnet and smell issue. I am very excited to get it. The company rocks because they let me keep the old case so that my ipad2 is protected while waiting for the new revision. They definitely get major KUDOS from me for their support.

The only thing I wish they would have done (and I would buy a second one to get it) is extend the flap another inch or so that gets tucked in further to hold the ipad in better. Based on the revision one flap being the same length I suspect the ipad will drop down a little during use when the cover is flipped back and the fold is at the bottom. The flap is too short IMHO. Look at the official ipad 1 and the new acase design and you can see that their flap is much longer (2 to 3 times longer).

That will not stop me from using it because it is beautiful and the magnet feature fix was the biggest issue. it is just a shame that they didn't extend the flap further to help keep the ipad from dropping when held vertically and the cover bent flat against the back and the fold at the bottom. I will probably extend it myself with some cloth and tape or something just to make sure it stays stationary. I haven't got it yet so maybe somehow it does hold the iPad in good enough though now that the magnet issue is fixed.

Last edited:

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'm a bit disappointed with your video review William. You didn't install/seat the iPad fully, or properly test for magnet activation on the rear. My 1st gen iPad 2 case will ONLY inadvertently lock if I pull the cover all the way to the right rear. If I did what you did, it would look perfect too.

IMO, do another quick vid.. show how it the front cover fits when the ipad is installed properly, and do a better rear magnet test.. really pull and tug and show that you CANNOT activate sleep.

The smell is something that cannot be proved on video, so we'll have to take your word on that. My 1st gen still stinks quite bad a week after opening the package, and letting a fan blow on it overnight a few times.

I must say, that even with the problems I'm really enjoying my Yoobao case, mostly I wish it smelled like leather instead of paint/permanent marker, which the new version has supposedly fixed.

Thanks.

Jesus, now we have reviews of reviews.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Thanks.

If you're talking to me, you have the wrong person. I haven't reviewed it yet. Review will be up later today. :)

Mistaken identity = not fun. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.