new revolution specs "revealed" (IGN)

Discussion in 'Games' started by cartoonfox, Mar 30, 2006.

1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hey, a bit surprised no one has mentioned this yet (or have i missed it),
    http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

apparently, the "Broadway" CPU is slightly lower than the original xbox's.
    and the "Hollywood" GPU is a little higher than the original xbox's.
    and the RAM is a bit more higher than the original xbox's.

i don't really know what all the numbers mean, I'm just using the comparisons.

i saw PGR3 in dixons playing on a huge HD screen, and it looked (coming from a fanboy's mouth) amazing!
    then i saw the same game in a small games shop, playing on a regular tube tv, and it looked really great, but like a xbox game.
    so i think what nintendo have been saying about their rev games looking the same as the "competition" on regular 480p screens was correct.
    i can't wait to finally see some rev screen shots and movies though! just over a month waiting to go!! : ]

and on a related note, Pandemic CEO Josh Resnick had a few things to say about revolution at the GDC,
    This gets me excited!!

weird thing is, when i checked this article yesterday, it also had a quote from someone at another games company, i can't remember which one, not sure why that one was edited out...

anyway, some positive new stuff all round then... well maybe not so much for the graphic whores : p
    but im sure revolution is gonna look great. i mean, xbox has some pretty nice looking games, right? : ]

peace

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Until we get official word I'll remain sceptical. but about low specs I look at it like this...

The original Xbox had specs way higher (almost double) of the Gamecube.

Visually the Xbox and Gamecube were equal.

So, in theory. doubling the specs of the Cube would give you double the power. Nintendo originally said that the Rev would be twice as powerful as the Cube. So these specs fit in with that theory, until developers blasted the theory, claiming it was more than that. Then Nintendo retracted their original statement, saying it really was faster than 2X.

Fud? fud.

but!

Ditto. "Mind-blowing" aye? just what I'm after :)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm buying one regardless, but I still have some hopes, wishes & reservations.

Looking at an xbox game at 480p on my HDTV, compare it to a 360 at 720p/1080i there is a huge difference.

Grand for those with only 1 console and no HD tv, but for those that do...:( :confused: :rolleyes: :( ????

I know graphics aren't everything, but you tell me if you could play mario sunshine or metroid prime in HD, would'nt you jump at the chance.. I would.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

also keep in mind, the intel chip in the original xbox was from before intel realized that MHz isn't everything. i'd be willing to be the chip inside the revolution will be more powerful then the original xbox.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I want the works....i don't care....so if Nintendo can fork up more power then do so...i'll be getting all of the consoles(like a always do)

Damn i need an HDTV.....real soon, getting tired of playing on my monitor.

Bless

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I couldn't care less about the HD thing. It's nice and all, but as long as the console works well, and the games are good (which I'm sure they will be) then I'm all happy. I can't wait for the Rev, I'm going to to buy one the day they come out.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You can't directly compare archtectures - it's like saying a 1Ghz P3 is on par with a 1Ghz G4, which it isn't. I think your second statement is unfortunatly true of a lot of people - they don't know what the numbers actually mean. :(

8. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

plinkoman, i aggree, i'm sure it's more powerfull than it seems "on paper".
    we shall have to wait till E3 i guess! : ]

peace

9. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

sorry for not being educated enough to understand...

i was just using IGN's comparisons, hence the word, "apparently"

peace

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

oh well personally i was more guessing/hoping for around 1 ghz/300 mhz/128 mb-ram

on the other side the hollywood GPU/IO/DSP combo thing sounds quite interesting (to me)

so it's gonna be xbox * 1.5 graphics wise... that's fine with me

actually one thing what's gonna be interesting with such specs will be the price ... with the huge amount of intigration and nearly system on a chip like design they will be able to offer them perhaps cheaper than i thought

i'm more tending to 150 than 200 now

edit: at least it isn't _that_ long until E3 anymore and those spec/external usb device news were quite surprising
    oh and for the comment from the Pandemic CEO.. i've heard from yaws dropping to the floor from other developers as well

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The comparisons seem to only be MHz to MHz and that really isn't that helpful.

As has been said (and touted by AMD for years), MHz isn't everything. And it's true, it really isn't. Look at RE4 on GameCube and tell me the machine was 1/2 as powerful as an Xbox! ;) I'd agree that if it is double that of a GCN then it far eclipses the original Xbox... those comparison are just worthless in the article.

That said, hardware-wise its pretty much garaunteed to be inferior to 360/PS3 on a purely hardware/processing scale. Nintendo, though, is a software company at heart and that is what I always look forward to... the games they make for their systems.

Look at 360, I'd say it's safe to assume no game has released that has really taken advantage of all the power it has... same will be true for PS3 at launch. Visually I doubt we'll see much difference between the systems for many years while developers get used to the system.

Until then, rev is all about the interaction, not presentation and that is what excites me about it. I think most people that want a 360/PS3 will also get a Rev, especially if it's cheap and the games are cheaper as well (which has been said many times). So I think it's really a system everyone will want to try, even if they pickup a 360/PS3 as well...

12. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Here is a great slashdot thread on the article. Essentially, (as we know from defending powerPC for all those years) it is silly to do a clockspeed comparison. There are a lot of great points in the thread, including some from developers.

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the laugh! :D

Yes, I do own both and no, you're totally wrong. The Xbox graphics are an order of magnitude better than the Cube's. And before you start tossing around the end-all-be-all of graphics on the Cube -- RE4 -- yes, I have that too. It's a sad half-cousin to half the Xbox library in terms of graphical quality.

"Visually...equal." Oh, comedy gold. :)

14. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

rosalindavenue, thank's for posting that. clears a few things up for me : ]

and just to clarify, i have an iMac 2ghz with 512mb RAM. The fact that it is way faster than my friends PC with 3.2ghz and 1.256gb RAM pretty much tells you i know how pointless it is to copare apples to oranges!
    i was just quoting IGN's article. Comparing for comparisons sake.

Roll on E3!! : ]

peace

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats funny :) I have an Xbox and Gamecube too. And from the games I've played on both systems;

GC- Waverace, Metroid Prime series, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, F-Zero GX, Smash Bros Melee

Xbox- Halo, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Serious Sam.

I show them to anyone other than people who KNOW that the Xbox has higher stats and they can't tell the difference. heck! I was playing Resident Evil 4 with my wavebird controller. My mate comes in "aww! is this that new RE game?" "yup! not bad is it!" "can I borrow it? [he only has an Xbox]" "um, you know it's Gamecube only right?" (pause) "...crap!", he sold his Cube about 2 months before.

ps. You haven't seen Twilight Princess, have you? hmm. Some games have better textures, Halo 2 being a prime example. But for the majority they are equal. I'll just spurt out the Twilight Princess thing again for kicks.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

From Engadget:
    Edit: Forgot to bold the important part.

17. Whotheheck macrumors member

I can't wait for the rev to come out either. It sucks that it won't play games in 720p but graphics aren't everything *looks at ds* It's just annoying that you have to play all the fun games on systems that are less capable. My psp is awesome but how many fun games are out for that??? :(

BTW, Xbox and GC cames do pretty much look the same. Sure, the xbox has more widescreen games and a couple of HDTV games but that's just cause Nintendo hates widescreen. :(

18. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

There's a great reply to this sort of quality, nuanced argument on the Slashdot thread I posted earlier: LINK

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

My tolerance for providing a quality reply is inversely proportional to the hyperbole spewed by the fanboi masses.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The CLOCK speed is slightly lower than the XBox. Mac users of all people should know how a PowerPC that is 4 MHz slower than a Celeron (well, technically a Pentium 3 with half the cache, but closer to a Celeron in performance) should compare.

RISC vs CISC.

MHz Myth.

This is faster than the XBox.

IGN are idiots for comparing them that way. They even admit it's not a valid comparison due to different architectures and then compare it anyway.

IGN directly admits the comparisons are invalid. It's a 733 MHz Celeron (sorta) vs a 729 MHz G3 (sorta).

Anyway, I wish it was more, I'll say that right off the bat. It should also be noted that IGN's last article said Revolution dev kits were not at their final power. So I hope it improves.

However, even if it doesn't...it's faster than the XBox by a little, and we can assume it has a modern DVD drive running at the fastest speed possible (and no high-resolution textures to load) so it should have the fastest loading times of any console I imagine. And this means it will be cheap to buy.

It's all about the controller, though :) I'd buy the system even for only Metroid Prime 3 and the Virtual Console.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Engadget's a bunch of idiots; I've been decrying those fake specs given by Han Solo from the G4 boards on various forums for ages, apparently they believed them. This guy (who was even banned from G4 for being an idiot) managed to get his statements published in GameInformer (with of course no mention who gave those numbers) and pretty soon were all over the internet without a source.

Orders of magnitude is a gross exagguration.

GameCube is significantly faster than PS2, and XBox is significantly faster than GameCube, but none of them are "orders of magnitude". The XBox can push maybe 20-30% more polygons, and can perform a few extra effects that look nicer. Those extra effects make it look significantly nicer, but not "orders of magnitude". Orders of magnitude are POWERS OF TEN! The XBox 360 is orders of magnitude greater than the GameCube.

22. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

GFLPraxis, please read my previous post
    i already know that the comparison is pointless. i was just bringing the article to peoples attention and quoting the article.

admittedly i have no idea what "clock speed" means, but i get the gist of things! : ]

sucks to be dumb...

peace

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm. funny how I'd place my Xbox and Gamecube as equals in terms of how much I liked them. oh well. if you think it's a fanboy comment then go ahead. but it's been mentioned many times here, on many many forums over the internet, in real life situations that both systems are very similar on the graphics level. ho hum.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

update on the impressive jaw dropping demo things i heard: according the friend it might have been a demo of mario 128 (which according to him might have "mushroom" in it) and the demo was about mushroom or something like that as well
    sounds kinda funny but he knows the developers and not me (thus i'm only retelling what he told me)

edit:and how we are again discussing the last generation again is beyond me.. after all which was ahead still depends where you live..

offtopic: can somebody tell me why a demo needs to install a "copy protection driver" ? yeah me neither...

rm blazin_gangles_pc_demo
    Ubisoft -10 points Respect

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not being dumb, don't worry about it. I think IGN is being dumb. The way they wrote it is EXTREMELY misleading.