New router interrupting internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kathrync, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Kathrync macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    I have a G4 400 MGHz and a new iMac G5 that are networked together.

I just bought a new Dynex ethernet router, and it works fine about 50% of the time. Every time my connection to the net fails, I have to reset the router and restart my computer and modem. I never had internet connection problems before.

Is this simply because this router is cheap junk? Can anyone recommend a good wired router to me?

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2005
    Truthfully I've never heard of this company. Maybe you should try Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, or even Apple.
  3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2005
    I use a netgear wireless router DG834G, its 54Mbps, a 108Mbps version is available, the DG834GT. If you don't want wireless they do that too!! Just take off the G at the end!

This is a dam good router, came out on tops in numerous PC magazine reviews. It works fine with my mac. OS X 10.4.2 update made a few problems but I think Ive cleared those. I think its got one of the best user interfaces and reliability of routers around. It looks kewl too. The newest model (the Version 2) is really really small and white! Will go a treat next to your iMac etc!!

Netgear do a wide variety of routers, wireless and otherwise for you to pick over, including the new "RangeMax" range that boast superior signal range. Mine hasn't got this "RangeMax" as its not that new, but newer ones will.
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Who? :confused:

I like Linksys, specifically the WRT54G...
  5. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2005
    I gotta agree with ya there!!

Seen some routers in my time aswell!