New Rule?: No more pity parties

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mac-er, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Can we have a new rule of not having pity parties for "Cry for help" trolls?

Wikipedia defines these trolls as:
    It seems like this forum has a lot of people that boo-hoo about their personal problems. It's okay if you need advice or whatever, but enough with the pity parties--if you need help see a psychiatrist.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Community Discussion
    - random discussions about anything

You don't like, don't read.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I strongly disagree -- if you don't like these type of threads, you don't have to read them.

They're part of what makes up a community and these forums are some of the nicest and most interesting around.

Perhaps it's convenient for you that your life is so free of trouble and that you have plenty of avenues for support but for many people, this forum provides a way of soliciting the views of others in an anonymous way that lets them explore possible solutions to their problems.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I kinda like them. Shows people to have more pathetic a life than my own. :p

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What????? :eek:

are you serious? , and loose all the fun about weird life styles around MR?
    No way, Community discussions, no like? no read.

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I enjoy that aspect of this website, give Macrumors a little more humanity. Plus we as human beings need all the help and support we can get.
    Like the others have said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Republican?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's what makes this place a community. Plus, how else would you meet members like this:

:D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'd also have to disagree... I've had an emotional post or two myself over the past couple of years, and it was helpful to be able to vent, no one's forcing anyone to read it. Maybe the best response you can give is "sorry to hear that," you don't necessarily have to solve their problems for them. But sometimes you can offer perspective.

now if we were totally innundated with these, or if the place turns into a suicide-threat forum, that'd be different...

10. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I agree with CanadaRam and Lacero.

Maybe there should be a troubled relationships section? :) :D
    (I am half-kidding, I will have to think about that).

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

mac-er is going to need to throw his own pity party after all of the negative responses to his idea! :D

i also disagree with you, buddy... i don't usually read the threads that you're describing, but i certainly don't mind them. and if we can help someone out, thats great.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Most people who ask questions about personal issues are people who've been around here for a while rather than total newbs so I don't think the troll issue is valid. The other thing is that many of the threads aren't all that serious and just need a fresh eye looking at them - unlike the emotional troll posts I've seen on other forums where people are threatening suicide/murder for little reason.

As others have said, if you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ rainman and the previous posters. As it is now, it seems to work all right, but if there were more pressing or serious threats to health, than these threads might have to be thought out again.

14. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

We'll just have to see how Paris goes.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

One of the things I really like about these forums is the sense of community. I like that we can be here to support one another and lend fresh perspective on a personal issue now and again.
    If you disagree, just avoid those threads. They are a pretty small percentage of what goes on in here, at least from what I have seen. It's not like there aren't other threads to read and post in.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

funny, not one person to agree with you mac-er. Must be you.

17. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Right on Mac-er! Why should we have to put up with the waste of bandwidth caused by people who can't tie their emotional shoestrings? Just because your mom didn't give you enough positive reinforcement when you were young doesn't mean you have to take it out on us. Honestly! I am sick and tired of hearing about people getting sick, losing girlfriends, and just being all around losers. If you aren't here to talk about things that matter, like single button vs multi button, then just shut up!

I also think that TV news should stop wasting my time with all these disasters and death and stuff. I mean, they used like two whole weeks talking about the stupid tsunami. Oooh, big waves are scary! Get over it. How stupid do you have to be to live somewhere like that. And how hard is it to see a big ass wave coming? And you know what? Who needs them!? All they are good for is bringing me my drinks and adjusting my umbrella. If the damn government would just step up and take what's ours we wouldn't have to put up with these weak people who hate our freedom.

18. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You are being sarcastic, right? 'Cause if you're not... woah.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you're sarcastic, please use one of the smilies to indicate this, since it's impossible to gather from the context...

If you're not sarcastic... well I won't even go there, and I'm pretty cynical myself... :rolleyes:

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Sounds pretty sarcastic to me. You never know though.. :confused:

21. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

This is America! People just need to shape up. All these problems and this divorce and "oh, life is so hard." Everyone needs to sit down and read the damned bible, and not the pansy new testament "jesus loves me" crap, the good old, angry God, hellfire and brimstone 10 commandments testament. There should be a law to make everyone pray and give thanks everyday and put a cross on every public building. The news at six should start with the lord's prayer and that BS monkey to man crap should be thrown out of schools. The minimum wage should be abolished so those illegals stop coming and taking all the american jobs and raping our daughters and living with 16 of their relatives in one house selling their dope to our high school football players. Don't even get me started on the fairies and the people that pass me in the slow lane. You don't need to go any faster than me you ass!

Oh, forgot this :)

22. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

A tsunami that kills 300,000 people it s bit different from someone looking to troll.

23. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

I think its trolling, and I wonder sometimes how much of it is true. I would imagine that most of its made up.

Eh, just because y'all don't agree doesn't make me wrong.

24. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

300,000 individual people with 300,000 individual stories. I am not one to decide how important other people's problems are. Life is too short and too hard to not help others where you can.

25. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

You aren't necessarily wrong. I am as skeptical as the next person. But you shouldn't throw out the whole dozen if one egg is cracked. Whether or not someone is being honest when they ask for help is on their conscience, not mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.