New rumblings of VP Hillary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Jun 30, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Drudge is reporting new reports that Kerry will choose Hillary as a running mate...

http://www.drudgereport.com/kerryhrc.htm

What do you think?
    Will he or won't he?
    Good or bad decision?

Would you vote for Hillary in '08 or '12 for president?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Very interesting. Edwards seems to have it locked up, but this would make the race a lot more fun to watch.

The VP is usually such a low-influence position that it doesn't really matter who is in the slot - it's typically just used to win an election. Of course, Cheney is a lot more active.

However, yeah, I'd vote for Hillary. Not necessarily saying I will if she runs - it depends on how things are in 2008/2012. But this year, I would vote for virtually anyone who wasn't Bush. And I certainly would be interested in how Hillary redefines the role of VP, if at all.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think she needs a bit more experience, first.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm willing to go way out on a limb here and say this has got about a snowball's chance in hell. The very last thing Kerry is going to want is a Clinton on his ticket. This would appeal to how many swing voters -- maybe five? Six? And a Democratic ticket representing two, adjoining northeastern states. Now, that's a winner.

Honestly, I think this Kerry-Clinton thing is nothing more than a GOP wet dream, which is why you're reading it in the Drudge report.

5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think that Edwards makes a much stronger ticket than Hillary would.

Actually, Edwards would probably make a stronger candidate in the election than Kerry... but that's not the way it turned out in the primaries.

Choosing Hillary is a huge risk... it would could be a colossal blunder if he loses, or it would be seen as genius if he wins. But would the pres want to be overshadowed by the vice-pres like that? If he won, everyone would credit her... and all of the media focus would be on her and her role as vp. It would define his presidency.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

1 - LOL, it won't happen, the fact it comes from Drudge should tell you all you need to know.

2 - No, no, ..... that would be no.

3 - I like Hillary so I don't view it as bad in the sense she would be a bad VP, but it is a bad decision politically.

4 - I wouldn't rule it out, but check back when we know what the choices are.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Doubtful, there was an article in the Mercury news the other day about her speaking at a UC somewhere in southern California, this was one of the things she was asked about and she said she wasn't going to.

I'd post a link but I can't seem to find it...

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Yeah, but everyone knows the Clintons are dirty, stinking, filthy liars!!!!

No sir, you can't trust them any farther than you could throw them. Hillary will be Queen if she has her way.

Animals!!

Taft

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hillary as VP would bring out more anti-Hillary voters than pro-Hillary voters, which is why it won't happen. But it *would* be fun to watch Rush Limbaugh's head explode on live television. :D

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If we are talking about Limbaugh's head exploding, perhaps a Kerry, Kennedy ticket?

As far as Hillary, I agree with Sayhey...not happening.

Edwards seems to be the front-runner, but Gephart is up there too...the thing is, VP's are often selected from among the non-media front-runners, so we may all be surprised on this one...

Oh, and to the comment about the Vice Presidency (usually) being a low-influence/power position, I believe Cheney has changed that policy...

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

lol. The economy has *not* recovered. It has a long way to go before it can even be considered recovering.

Bush has lied, has been showed to be a liar. He can never, ever recover from that!!! The Iraq situation will turn around ?!?!?! Are you proposing 13,000 people are going to be brought back to life???!!!

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

economic indicators are indeed up, from what i've seen. today's raising of the overnight rate is such an indicator.

this leads me to two questions:
    1. what of bush's policies have helped the recovery, and which have hindered it?
    2. what is the lag between economic swings and voter reaction?

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So much for the Medicare Card

WASHINGTON - Drug makers raised prescription prices by nearly triple the rate of inflation in the first three months of this year — just before Medicare began its pharmacy discount card program — negating much of the savings the government promised to seniors, according to an AARP survey released Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040701/ap_on_he_me/drug_prices_9

My husband just picked up a drug he takes regularly and it was up 50% in cost. Which is strange because it is a generic that has been around for a long time.

Thanks Bush :rolleyes:

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

They can be deceptive. Gas prices are up and housing prices are up, at least in CA. If the stats don't control for the average person versus the person who was rich already they don't mean much. And going is up is easy. But it won't undo the damage he has done for the past 4 years that has created a record number of personal bankruptcies.

16. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

No he didn't, no he hasn't, and he's got nothing to recover from.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the relevancy of any single economic indicator is pretty subjective. relying on a single one, imo, gives a skewed picture. though unemployment is still at a net loss under bush, the employment rolls have been growing since late last year, iirc. many other indicators are up.

otoh, there's still a net loss of jobs, consumer credit is very high, the fed budget and trade deficts are still huge, etc. but imo the turnaround has come and employment will continue to rise, at least for a while. (note i'm not commenting on the kinds of jobs people are getting)

this is all barring some big surprise, of course, like another 9/11

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes he did, yes he has, and yes he does. :p

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Well, it has no place to go but up ;)

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, my highly-scientific process of deducing this from memory comes up with this:

To answer question 1), I do not think any of Bush's policies helped the recovery, although his tax-cuts may have helped temporarily, although most of the saving went to high-income earners, and trickle-down economics has been mostly discredited...even so, I feel the lack of the Federal Government to come to the States' aid, resulting in hikes in taxes by the states, or by cuts in services, probably had the result of people having to spend more money on what were either (a) previously subsidized services or (b) community priorities (like schools), or (c) on increased local taxes.

Also, the WOT may have helped the economy with the war-machine, or fear-spending (like alarm systems, guns and duct-tape)...but this is only a guess, I admit (and a cynical one)...

Recessions (and depressions) seem to operate on a cycle independent of Politics, although Politics can speed up or slow down the gap between them. In general, there have been recession every 9-13 years for most of this Century...

2. As far as the lag-time, I cannot say, I was too young during the last recession, although it's effects may have caused Bush SR re-election, although perhaps it was the tax-raising...if it was related to that recession, than I would answer...a couple of years, or to when things are good enough around the water-cooler/on the street...

Take with a large grain of Salt...

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was watching a PBS show a few weeks ago, i think it was Chicago Tonight, and they discussed the lag being 3 or 4 months. that is, good economic news from, say, august on wouldn't benefit bush at the polls.

and what good will come of any positive economic news? as discussed in this thread, some GOP congressmen want to cut taxes again...

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting point Zim, but I do tend to base my opinions on empirical data, and I think other people do too...to see statistics that 300,000 jobs have been added, or unemployment is down 1.6%, means relatively little to those unemployed or underemployed...

...relatedly, what comes out of an economic recovery? well as the song goes:
    "<booty shakin beats> You gotta have a J-O-B, if ya wanna be with me...<booty shakin beats>"

So basically jobs, more money and more action...it's the American way...

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Looking for this?

24. vniow macrumors G4

Ah thank you. It wasn't the Mercury after all.