New Russian weapon outdates missle defense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Mar 30, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004

I don't like Putin, but if this is true I think it is good news.

The world needs another super-power to counter-balance US arrogance and Imperialism.
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I heard this a month or so ago. The counter-arguement of course is that the missle defense system isn't meant (anymore) to counter a nuclear strike from Russia or China, both of whom possess enough warheads to overwhelm our defense measures, rather to counter the threat from someone like North Korea or another rogue state or terrorist group that manages to acquire a missle.

The problem is that this scenario is much more far-fetched than a terrorist stashing said nuclear device in a shipping container and detonating it in New York harbo,r bypassing the need for a highly sophisticated missle entirely. Yet billions of dollars are going to 'star wars' defense system research that could be spent on more likely threats. But too many campaign donors to both parties are sucking on the government teat on this project for it to be canceled.
  4. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I've talked to an engineer currently working on the missile shield, and she seemed to think it was a fantastic idea, even though she freely admitted the systems weren't close to ready. Although I see the missile shield as something that should always be in development, what's the rush? Plenty of better things to throw money at, like homeland security.
  5. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    Scientific American had an article a while back that detailed numerous ways to defeat any missile defense system that uses antimissile missiles. It's basically at least a hundred times more expensive and more difficult to develop antimissile technology than to develop technology to defeat antimissile systems.
  6. Opteron macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    God the Russians are great. Poor as all hell but still with the best gear in the business.

Take a look at the Su-47, and Mig-1.44 alson known as the Mig-35 or MFI.
    These planes are far ahead of the F-22Raptor or F-23 Black widow.

Or the Ka-50 dual rotor helicopter.
  7. wwworry macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2002
    Bush will always advocate systems and programs that enrich his corporate supporters. Then he will change his story about the reasons for such a system or claim that he was ignorant of any problems. It's typical CEO storytelling and "fuzzy" logic.
  8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Actually, this system isn't designed to shoot down missiles. The entire project was exempted from the normal weapons testing oversight process so it could be deployed by September of this year, working or not.